New to Roku - Questions

Discussions about Roku products, channels, and Roku-related topics.

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

New to Roku - Questions

Postby JOSHSKORN » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:45 am

I currently have Verizon for FiOS Internet/TV/Phone and also I'm Grandfathered into Verizon Wireless Unlimited data. I have a DROID RAZR MAXX.

I would love to drop my FiOS Internet/TV and use my Smartphone's 4g connection to connect Roku 2 XS to the Internet. I have a LCD TV and also I want to see TV onto my computer.

FYI I'm not really use to the idea of a Smart TV, I'm more use to viewing scheduled TV, rather than, I guess you call it "On-Demand" ?

Questions:
  1. Does Roku 2 have multi-room support or would I need 1 Roku for each TV I view TV from? (In my case, LCD TV and my computer).
  2. Can I watch and record simultaneously? What would be the max?
  3. How does recording shows work, or can I? Where are the recording stored? Can I purchase an external HDD and record onto it or would I need a DVR or HTPC?
  4. If my Roku 2 was plugged into the TV in the other room, from my computer, could I login to my Roku and manage recording series?
  5. Is there a subscription fee?
  6. What channels are available?
  7. Do I have to record something or can I view past TV shows?
  8. Can I ditch my Internet connection and tether my Smartphone (which has 4g) to Roku 2 XS?
JOSHSKORN

Re: New to Roku - Questions

Postby DBDukes » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:32 am

JOSHSKORN wrote:I currently have Verizon for FiOS Internet/TV/Phone and also I'm Grandfathered into Verizon Wireless Unlimited data. I have a DROID RAZR MAXX.

I would love to drop my FiOS Internet/TV and use my Smartphone's 4g connection to connect Roku 2 XS to the Internet. I have a LCD TV and also I want to see TV onto my computer.

FYI I'm not really use to the idea of a Smart TV, I'm more use to viewing scheduled TV, rather than, I guess you call it "On-Demand" ?

Questions:
  1. Does Roku 2 have multi-room support or would I need 1 Roku for each TV I view TV from? (In my case, LCD TV and my computer).
  2. Can I watch and record simultaneously? What would be the max?
  3. How does recording shows work, or can I? Where are the recording stored? Can I purchase an external HDD and record onto it or would I need a DVR or HTPC?
  4. If my Roku 2 was plugged into the TV in the other room, from my computer, could I login to my Roku and manage recording series?
  5. Is there a subscription fee?
  6. What channels are available?
  7. Do I have to record something or can I view past TV shows?
  8. Can I ditch my Internet connection and tether my Smartphone (which has 4g) to Roku 2 XS?

Lets try to address each point.
  1. Roku is an Internet streaming device. It doesn't interact with your computer in any way, unless you are using Plex or some other method of streaming content from your computer to your Roku. The only thing you really need a computer for is to create your Roku account. (It would be nice if they allowed you to do that directly from the box.)
  2. Roku doesn't record shows. The content Roku provides is available on the Internet for streaming. For instance, you can go to Netflix or Amazon and stream content to your computer. Roku makes it easy for that content to display on your TV.
  3. Again, there is no recording. Roku isn't a DVR. You're thinking of TiVo, which is a good subscription service for recording TV, but it has limited streaming capabilities. And, like Roku, for the streaming content, TiVo does not record that content.
  4. There is no "login to Roku." You point your remote at it and select what you want to watch. Think about connecting a DVD player or an Xbox to a TV. Same thing.
  5. Roku has no subscription. However, some of the channels require a subscription. For instance, Netflix is $8/month, but you pay Netflix, not Roku for that. Likewise with Hulu Plus. If you have two Roku boxes, they can use the same Netflix account. Same thing for Hulu Plus. Some other content is free. Crackle is the most popular of the free content channels, but there are many others.
  6. When it comes to channels, there is no direct correlation between TV channels -- broadcast channels like ABC, CBS, CW, Fox, NBC or cable channels like USA, History, FX, TNT, AMC -- and Roku channels -- Netflix, Amazon, Hulu Plus, Crackle, VUDU, Popcorn Flix. I can watch Bones (Fox) or Castle (ABC) or Daily Show (Comedy Central) on Roku via Hulu Plus. I can watch movies via Hulu Plus, Amazon, or Netflix.
  7. Again, there is no recording. If the content source offers old shows, you can watch them by selecting from a menu.
  8. Roku can connect to any wireless hotspot. I suppose you could use your phone's 4G connection (3G would be too slow). I have no idea if your phone can support a LAN connection.
One other thing to remember is that, while you do have unlimited data with Verizon, Verizon will still throttle your account if two conditions are met:
  1. You are one of their top 5% data users
  2. The Verizon network is congested
If both those conditions are met, your speed could be throttled until the congestion clears up.

Others could offer suggestions as to how well that setup would work.

For me, I dropped cable because I could find most of the content I wanted via Roku, either through subscription (Hulu Plus, Netlfix, Amazon Prime) or pay-as-you-go (Amazon, VUDU), as a cost much less than cable.
DBDukes
Roku 3, Roku 2 XS, Roku XD
DBDukes

Postby JOSHSKORN » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:18 am

Thank you for your reply. I am unfamiliar with how Amazon Plus, Hulu Plus and Netflix works. I'm unfamiliar with CrackleTV. I'm guessing that I would use Roku 2 to connect to the service which stores these recordings on their side, therefore making a DVR unnecessary, unless you wanted to record and play somewhere else. I'm just not use to the idea of not tuning into a numbered station and viewing a scheduled show. I would have to look into these services to see how they work.
JOSHSKORN

Postby trekkeriii » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:16 am

JOSHSKORN wrote:Thank you for your reply. I am unfamiliar with how Amazon Plus, Hulu Plus and Netflix works. I'm unfamiliar with CrackleTV. I'm guessing that I would use Roku 2 to connect to the service which stores these recordings on their side, therefore making a DVR unnecessary, unless you wanted to record and play somewhere else. I'm just not use to the idea of not tuning into a numbered station and viewing a scheduled show. I would have to look into these services to see how they work.

Basically Amazon, Netflix, and Hulu store the content on their servers, you access it via your Roku, computer, game console, etc. Crackle is free, so a good place to start to get an idea how it works (Netflix has a heck of a lot more, not to mention Amazon's per movie/show Rental/Purchase library). If you don't like the idea of flipping through the channels, but calling up a show on demand, this is DEFINITELY for you. Nice thing is, you don't have to worry about storage space locally. Everything is in the cloud.
Roku2 XS, 42" LCD, Ethernet (5.5 b320)
Roku Stick HDMI, 32" LCD, WiFi (5.5 b2027)
Roku N1000, 25" CRT, Ethernet (3.1)
Router - Linksys WRT54G2
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
trekkeriii
** Valued Community Member **

Postby wzwor » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:45 am

JOSHSKORN wrote:Thank you for your reply. I am unfamiliar with how Amazon Plus, Hulu Plus and Netflix works. I'm unfamiliar with CrackleTV. I'm guessing that I would use Roku 2 to connect to the service which stores these recordings on their side

This is correct.
JOSHSKORN wrote:I'm just not use to the idea of not tuning into a numbered station and viewing a scheduled show. I would have to look into these services to see how they work.

At this point in time, set top streamers are not a substitute for cable, satellite, or broadcast television. For the most part, they do not stream the same content. These devices stream media files off servers on the internet. The Fox News Channel, for instance, is not the Fox News Channel. It is the videos stored at a web site called foxnews.com. There is a live stream at times, but it is not what is on the tv station and there are clips from shows on the Fox News Channel, but these are only available after they are posted to the web site. This is not necessarily a bad thing. When I turn on the TV, I only get to watch what's on. With a streamer, I can generally choose from a collection of clips.

What is missing is the programming, local news, and live anything. You cannot click a Roku channel and watch TV all day. You can watch your local news IF they post videos to the internet AND someone creates a channel that makes it available on your favorite streamer. Similar situation with live programming. Unless something is streaming live on the internet somewhere, it won't be available on your streamer.

If you live in New York, there is a service called Aereo that steams broadcast television via the internet. You get a 'virtual' DVR with Aereo. That service is expanding this summer, so it may be coming to your market. Skitter also streams live TV. Time Warner is promising to make their product available via roku. Of course, none of this is free. There's always broadcast and that can be delivered to a roku via a device called Simple which also provides DVR function.

Your original post said you wanted to drop FiOS and use your cell phone as an access point. I suggest that you benchmark your 4g service before terminating your FiOS account. In my experience, 4g is not up to task, but your experience will be determined to your proximity to a tower. Please post a follow-up with your experience as I have a friend who is interested in doing the same thing.
http://thebeersoncomcast.wordpress.com/
wzwor

Postby kc8pql » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:01 pm

Forum Guidelines:

In general, if a thread is more than six months old, it will be best for our moderators if you generate a new thread, to prevent confusion.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql

Postby mikebdoss » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:02 pm

kc8pql wrote:Forum Guidelines:

In general, if a thread is more than six months old, it will be best for our moderators if you generate a new thread, to prevent confusion.

Doubly so for an off-topic bad idea like that one...
mikebdoss

Postby RokuShawnS » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:38 pm

Spammer. Nothing to see here :)

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion