connecting my roku on cox cable

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

connecting my roku on cox cable

Postby airtex60 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:18 am

Just bought a ROKU player and can't get it to connect to the internet. The first two connections to my network go green, but then the connection to the internet never completes. I've been online with ROKU chat, but all of the suggestions he gave didn't help (reset the router, the roku, go into the secret panel and do some changes...still no go). Think it may have something to do with cox cable in the dc area, but they want $$ to help. all of my other devices work on the network.
airtex60

Re: connecting my roku on cox cable

Postby wzwor » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:29 am

Try to access the Platform Secret Screen...

Home Button x 5
FF x 1
Play x 1
RW x 1
Play x 1
FF x 1

This will give you some information that may be helpful...

Post your IP, SSID, and WIFI Details here. Also, go to a computer which has wireless access to your network, open a dos box (start run cmd [enter]), type in ipconfig /all [enter] and note the ip address of the computer as well as the addresses of the default gateway and dns servers.
http://thebeersoncomcast.wordpress.com/
wzwor

Postby jeffrok » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:50 am

You may have to temporarily disable your router's firewall, then it will connect.. After you get all set up, update the player's firmware, and then try re-enabling the firewall on your router.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koy2eg1ioZ8&list=HL1380998604&feature=mh_lolz
jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Postby microlady » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:08 am

It might help suggestions if you were to list your equipment. What brand modem and router?
You said your other devices work with your internet...what kind of devices? Just trying to get a sense of what your actual connections are.

I have cox cable and have no problem with my wireless connections. I use a Linksys modem that Cox approves of, a Linksys router, have my Roku and 2 PCs connected wirelessly. Of course I also have TVs and VCRs connected to the cable analog signal. In my router, I set up a list of MAC addresses the router should respond to, and of course, Roku is one of them. Roku has to ping the router quite often as it checks to make sure it is still connected to the Internet.

I think if you have other devices and you have had no problem accessing the internet using whatever devices need to do that, then you should be able to have the Roku access it also.
The trick is always to find out what is causing a problem. So the more information you can put here, the better help the members can be.

Trying the above posted suggestions you have received so far, is a step in the process of eliminating what doesn't work until what does can be found. Do you subscribe to the Instant streaming by Netflix?
Original Roku 1, called N1000,bought 2008 (2014 still works perfectly)
2014 new owner of Roku 3500 (HDMI) streaming stick
microlady

Postby raaurora » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:40 pm

airtex60 wrote:Just bought a ROKU player and can't get it to connect to the internet. The first two connections to my network go green, but then the connection to the internet never completes. I've been online with ROKU chat, but all of the suggestions he gave didn't help (reset the router, the roku, go into the secret panel and do some changes...still no go). Think it may have something to do with cox cable in the dc area, but they want $$ to help. all of my other devices work on the network.

I also have Cox in the DC area and am able to connect my Roku 2 XD without issue...so I don't think that is the problem. Does Roku have a supported router list? Hope you can get it all working.
raaurora

Postby RickRansom » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:48 pm

raaurora wrote:Does Roku have a supported router list? Hope you can get it all working.
A quick search of "roku supported routers" gave me this link. Makes me think twice though since it shows it was last posted/updated on posted this on July 15, 2010. :?

Then again if airtex60 can post the make and model of the router their using then the people here can at least provide more specific tips on how to get it working.
Retired
RickRansom

Postby jeffrok » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:44 pm

There's a sticky thread at the top of this forum page that also lists routers that have worked.. There is no "official" list because technically a router-is-a-router-is-a-router and Roku can't possibly keep track of every since router made, but here is a link to that thread:

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=17032
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koy2eg1ioZ8&list=HL1380998604&feature=mh_lolz
jeffrok

Postby raaurora » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:03 pm

RickRansom wrote:
raaurora wrote:Does Roku have a supported router list? Hope you can get it all working.
A quick search of "roku supported routers" gave me this link. Makes me think twice though since it shows it was last posted/updated on posted this on July 15, 2010. :?

Then again if airtex60 can post the make and model of the router their using then the people here can at least provide more specific tips on how to get it working.

yeah I realized soon after that it is a sticky on the board. still learning my way around this forum.
raaurora

Postby stratcat96 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:14 pm

if the first two lights go green, the compatibility of the router likely is not the issue. The best advice to start out with is above, temporarily turn off the firewall and (hopefully) once connected and the newest firmware downloaded, re-activate it
stratcat96

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion