Want to Know Costs Before Adding Channel

Moderators: RokuShawnS, RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Want to Know Costs Before Adding Channel

Postby KarenG » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:55 am

Hi Members,

I want to know the costs associated with a channel before adding it. I get very frustrated with so many channels saying their content is free, I add the channel and then find out their is a charge to view. The costs should be clearly conveyed prior to adding the channel. Thanks :x
KarenG

Re: Want to Know Costs Before Adding Channel

Postby DBDukes » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:40 am

KarenG wrote:Hi Members,

I want to know the costs associated with a channel before adding it. I get very frustrated with so many channels saying their content is free, I add the channel and then find out their is a charge to view. The costs should be clearly conveyed prior to adding the channel. Thanks :x

Look for a few key things before you add the channel. "Free trial" is one. That means pretty much what you think it means: for a period of time, it's free. After that, not free.

Look for phrases like "choose to rent or own" (VUDU has this one) in the description. That generally means that if you want content, you gotta pay for it.

At the bottom of the channel, where you see the rating, look for a phrase along the line of "subscription service" or "additional fees" or some such wording (I'm away from home, and don't remember the exact wording).

Those are all indicators that the content will cost you, even if the channel itself is free. (Netflix, Hulu Plus, VUDU, Amazon, and many others are examples of this.)
DBDukes
Roku 3, Roku 2 XS, Roku XD
DBDukes

Re: Want to Know Costs Before Adding Channel

Postby catastrophegirl » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:51 am

the phrase DBDukes was looking for is "service may require additional fees"
if a channel is paid through roku's payment system, the cost will be listed in the channel store or on your roku account if you are adding it with a code
roku can't keep up with all the price changes and fees charged through the content owner's websites, so they don't even try.
i try to on my channel list but i am lucky if i can verify all the possible prices a couple of times a year for all the hundreds of channels.
the best way is to look at the channel in the channel store and see if there's a URL listed for the channel owner and then check their pricing page. the good news is, if you add a channel that's paid separately, you won't be out any money until you register and provide a payment method to the content owner, like netflix, hulu plus or amazon
N1000, roku1 XD/s, roku2 xs, roku3
wireless
speed range from ~18-20mbps
http://catastrophegirlsrokuchanneldata.blogspot.com/
twitter: catastrophegirl
PM or tweet me if you want a channel added to my list, a correction or to update a developers' credit
catastrophegirl
** Valued Community Member **

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion