Acorn TV

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Acorn TV

Postby ThriftyBK » Wed May 30, 2012 10:20 am

I have the 1 month trial of Acorn TV. As an anglophile, I was excited to see this on ROKU, but am having problems with constant buffering (Slings and Arrows) and loss of sound (Pie in the Sky). The last episode of Slings and Arrows was constantly rebuffering, but the plot was so good that I perservered. I have the fastest internet offered by our local service, so upgrading isn't an option-and this wouldn't fix the lack of sound anyway. And buffering isn't normally a problem with Netflix, Pandora, etc. Is anyone else experiencing this with Acorn TV?
ThriftyBK

Re: Acorn TV

Postby RokuJoel » Wed May 30, 2012 4:07 pm

There is an update in the works to Acorn, in the next few days. Are you on an older device or a new device? There is a "report issue" button in the Help section of AcornTV by the way.

- Joel
RokuJoel

Postby reddogs » Wed May 30, 2012 6:08 pm

I just watched a full episode of Cadfael with no buffering issues. I have an N1100 using WiFi ... my top DSL speed is 3mbs. I've had maybe 2 or 3 buffering issues since Acorn went "live". 1 lasted several hours, the other 2 cleared up in a few minutes. I've been a premium subscriber for months and I'm totally satisfied with their service (and programming). Being able to watch on my HDTV instead of my computer monitor was a great addition to their package. If you continue to have problems, you should definitely contact their customer service --- they're VERY responsive. (I reported a problem with their online menu on New Year's Day and got a response in less than an hour!)
reddogs

Postby bmn » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:38 pm

I've been attempting to watch Doc Martin for 3 days now - am lucky to hear 3 words strung together - I have NEVER had these kinds of problems with buffering before! I don't believe people pay for this...
bmn

Postby dwanthny » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:09 am

bmn wrote:I've been attempting to watch Doc Martin for 3 days now - am lucky to hear 3 words strung together - I have NEVER had these kinds of problems with buffering before! I don't believe people pay for this...

I watched a couple of episodes this morning with zero buffering. I watch this channel sporadically but when I decide to make a night of it I've never had any problems.
:idea: 20GB of Free CLOUD STORAGE: For a limited time you can use this link https://copy.com?r=lB3oTH to sign up for a free 15GB Copy.com account and we both get an extra 5GB of free space.
dwanthny

Postby TBDave » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:35 pm

I've got a question for the paid subscribers.

I previewed a couple of the free episodes. And I thought the video quality was awful. Even on recent stuff like Marple. Obviously, I'm not expecting Blu-ray quality. But it was lower than DVD quality. It doesn't compare to the streams of similar stuff on Netflix or Amazon.

Does the quality improve for paid subscribers? I was getting 3 dots on my Roku. Is that the best stream available?
TBDave

Postby dwanthny » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:20 pm

TBDave wrote:It doesn't compare to the streams of similar stuff on Netflix or Amazon.

Does the quality improve for paid subscribers? I was getting 3 dots on my Roku. Is that the best stream available?

I'm unsure what 3 dots indicates but I also saw 3 dots. I tested the same show (Doc Martin) on Netflix and AcornTV and these are the average bit speeds I saw on my router.

Netflix (Better video setting) 1300 kbits/second
Acorn 1600kbits/second
Netflix (Best video setting) 2000 kbits/second

I'm unsure how to quantify this, but the Acorn feed seemed to be equal too or better than SD. None of the streams were in HD, but all three streams looked decent to me.
:idea: 20GB of Free CLOUD STORAGE: For a limited time you can use this link https://copy.com?r=lB3oTH to sign up for a free 15GB Copy.com account and we both get an extra 5GB of free space.
dwanthny

Postby 999999999 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:42 pm

The shows are good, but the technical issues ruin the experience. Acorn makes excuses and says it must be on my end, but every other wireless device we have works fine, except for Roku. Roku's customer service, if you can call it that, is in India, and the people have such strong accents that I could not understand them. When i did get through to a supervisor who could speak somewhat clearly, I got nothing but a run around and nothing that helped. Acorn technical support was no better. We would like to keep the programs, but there is no practical way to have them due to the technical glitches.

Postby 999999999 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:47 pm

We subscribe and the buffering and total lack of support is awful. We might go for a few weeks with no problems and then we can't watch it all. Technical support talks about "work arounds" and other stuff that is just excuses. They just can't deliver. We like the programs on Acorn TV, but not enough to go through this much frustration.

Postby kc8pql » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:01 pm

Forum Rules:
In general, if a thread is more than six months old, it will be best for our moderators if you generate a new thread, to prevent confusion.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby dwanthny » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:07 pm

999999999 wrote:The shows are good, but the technical issues ruin the experience. Acorn makes excuses and says it must be on my end, but every other wireless device we have works fine, except for Roku.

I've used this channel for quite awhile and I have no "technical issues" with this channel.

999999999 wrote:We subscribe and the buffering and total lack of support is awful. We might go for a few weeks with no problems and then we can't watch it all. Technical support talks about "work arounds" and other stuff that is just excuses. They just can't deliver. We like the programs on Acorn TV, but not enough to go through this much frustration.

My experience is very different from what you describe. I have rarely had any hiccups with this or any other channel. I have been very pleased with the quality of the content and the quality of the stream.
dwanthny

Postby RokuShawnS » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:28 pm

Old thread. Please start a new topic that will be more up-to-date.

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion