LG Simplink not compatible with Roku 2 XS

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

LG Simplink not compatible with Roku 2 XS

Postby jhzolitor » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:07 pm

I've spent considerable time with support at both LG and Roku. There are no fixes at this point. Here are the details: Simplink worked fine, perfect, in fact, until I plugged in the new Roku box. I say, 'new' because I have an older model that worked fine with Simplink - but it is not 1080i. I bought the Roku 2 XS for the added features and 1080i. When I hooked up the Roku through HDMI3, and it worked perfectly. I really had no way of knowing why the Simplink suddenly stopped working, but it did. I called LG, the store I purchased the LG components from, and tried everything I could think of. All of the settings were correct, and that was confirmed by LG. I guess I should have figured that the last component I hooked up may be the problem, but I didn't. When I unplug the Roku, Simplink works perfectly. I spent about an hour in an online chat with Roku, hoping to get a fix, or at least acknowledgment that there was some kind of conflict. At this point, they understand the problem and assured me that they would call me back. Any bets on whether they actually do?
jhzolitor

Re: LG Simplink not compatible with Roku 2 XS

Postby socantra » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:10 pm

NO ROKU's support 1080i.
Please attempt to maintain a thin veneer of civility.
Remember, you are speaking to strangers on the internet,
not your own family at home.
socantra

Postby kc8pql » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:13 pm

^^^+1 720p &1080p
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby Gilgamesh » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:16 pm

Roku is NOT 1080i it is 1080p or 720p for HD only. It is 420i for SD I think.

If you have your Roku set for 1080p and there is anything in the link set that is not able to handle 1080p then you will have failures.

Also I looked up Simplink and found this:
SimpLink is a connection feature on LG televisions that detects when the power is turned on to a component connected to the LG set. The TV then switches inputs automatically to work with the device. For example, if you have a DVD player and a gaming system hooked up to the TV, the input on the television for the DVD player will activate when it is switched on. Only one component at a time can be turned on for the feature to work properly.

Since Roku is always on I cannot see any way that it will work unless you put it on some kind of switch. If you do that then you will have to wait through boot up every time you use your Roku.
Gilgamesh

Postby trekkeriii » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:17 pm

What do you mean Simplink is not working? Simplink is not compatible with Roku. You have to use the Roku remote to control the Roku. LG Simplink I thought was the ability to control one LG device from another. Example is I have an LG BD390 (BluRay) and LG 42LH40 model TV. Basically I can interchange the BluRay and TV remotes. I turn off the BluRay player when the TV turns off and the TV turns on when I turn on the BluRay. Also, the input auto-switches when the BluRay is turned on. I have Roku XS myself on the same TV, it does not interfere whatsoever with this process, but I can't control the Roku from my TV remote. This might be a totally different feature though based on what I am reading about Simplink. Might be there's a specific compatibility via the LG equipment via the Simplink process.

As for the 1080i, Roku does not output 1080i. Only 720p and 1080p. If you have a 1080i TV, with no 1080p, but 720p as options, you have to use the 720p display setting. There is no content on Roku that plays native to 1080i, which is the reason it is not an option.
Roku2 XS, 42" LCD, Ethernet (5.5 b320)
Roku Stick HDMI, 32" LCD, WiFi (5.5 b2027)
Roku N1000, 25" CRT, Ethernet (3.1)
Router - Linksys WRT54G2
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
trekkeriii
** Valued Community Member **

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion