Roku access to "NBC Sports Live Extra"

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Roku access to "NBC Sports Live Extra"

Postby RandalSon12 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:16 am

Hi - sorry if this is a newbie dumb question. Will I be able to use a Roku to access NBC Sports Live Extra: "the NBC Sports Group’s live-stream platform that is available online at NBCSports.com." ??? THX!
RandalSon12

Re: Roku access to "NBC Sports Live Extra"

Postby Gilgamesh » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:28 am

As far as I know, others may know more, most NBC content is not available on the Roku since NBC has not made a channel. The owners of the content, in this case NBC, must be the ones to make or authorize a channel.

In order to get NBC content on the Roku you need to contact NBC and get them to create a channel.

There is the NowhereTV private channel and that channel may have some of the content you want, You can install it and other channels from: http://www.thenowhereman.com/roku/
Gilgamesh

Postby RandalSon12 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:43 am

Thanks a lot. I am new to sorting out what can and can't be done with internet content through various devices. Ready to cut the satellite TV connection and monthly bill, but some things I don't want to sacrifice. Anyone else want to chime in I am all ears!
RandalSon12

Postby DBDukes » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:55 am

You'll find very little live programming available via Roku or any other set-top box. What you will find is on-demand content.

Much current-season network non-sports programming is available via subscription (Hulu Plus) or via PAYGO (such as Amazon Instant Video). For sports, some leagues offer content through their own apps (MLB, NBA, etc) but you won't find a lot apart from that. And, even then, blackout rules prevent some regional live broadcasts. For me, the MLB channel is not worth it since they block out my regional team (Braves). If I was a Cardinals fan or Dodgers fan or such, I'd be in great shape. But, as a fan of the closest team, I'm SOL. You may experience similar situations if you try to watch an in-market team live.

Your best bet to watch NBC sports programming will be via antenna and your local NBC affiliate, if you drop satellite (or, for others, cable). Or, as you're currently doing, a Web browser.
DBDukes
Roku 3, Roku 2 XS, Roku XD
DBDukes

Postby RandalSon12 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:06 am

Good info, thanks. So, (dumb alert) I can not tell the Roku to "browse" view via my router and internet connection anything that is on a website.... just those things that essentially have a deal with Roku?

I am in a deep canyon. Antennas no workie here. (My cell phone neither.) My Internet is new gen WildBlue - "Exede." It averages about 3.5 mbps download.

R
RandalSon12

Postby mikebdoss » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:13 am

RandalSon12 wrote:Good info, thanks. So, (dumb alert) I can not tell the Roku to "browse" view via my router and internet connection anything that is on a website.... just those things that essentially have a deal with Roku?

I am in a deep canyon. Antennas no workie here. (My cell phone neither.) My Internet is new gen WildBlue - "Exede." It averages about 3.5 mbps download.

R

It's not a "deal" issue as much as a choice by the content providers to make a Roku channel. Roku doesn't have a web browser, and isn't a home theater PC. It's fantastic at what it does, partially because it has a narrow focus.
mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Postby RandalSon12 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:21 am

Still learning with each post. Thanks again. I have emailed NBC to ask what is needed to get the programming I am after. (Formula 1 Racing Live Streams.) We will see if anyone notices.
RandalSon12

Postby DBDukes » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:21 am

RandalSon12 wrote:Good info, thanks. So, (dumb alert) I can not tell the Roku to "browse" view via my router and internet connection anything that is on a website.... just those things that essentially have a deal with Roku?

R

Your current speed won't be all that critical if you stream at standard definition. It's the total monthly bandwidth allotment that you may find is a concern.

I looked up WildBlue Satellite Internet. Their top plan, from what I can tell, is 25GB/month for $130. If that's already the plan you're on, then you may be able to save money by dropping your current satellite service. However, if you are on the $50/month plan (10GB/month), you may need to move to a higher plan, since it doesn't take long to eat up 10GB (for me, anyway). The extra cost of Internet, minus the cost of satellite, may work out to a savings. But, in your situation, perhaps not.
DBDukes
Roku 3, Roku 2 XS, Roku XD
DBDukes

Postby RandalSon12 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:23 am

Ooops. Forgot about monthly useage limits. Hmmm. THX.
RandalSon12

Postby RandalSon12 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:25 am

So, how many gigs in general for an hour of SD streaming?
I am on the 10Gig plan for $50. My TV bill is $80 a month. Exede lets you buy a gig at a time extra, and has unmetered middle of the night useage, which would only work if i could capture the download onto a drive somehow.
RandalSon12

Postby Gilgamesh » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:33 am

Sorry, I did not catch that you had WildBlue Satellite Internet. So far. to my knowledge, no one has had even reasonable results streaming through Roku with any satellite internet provider.

The problems are that the stream is not stable, (it comes in bursts that do not coincide with the Roku's needs) the latency is too high, and the data caps are too low.

Even a 3.0mbs DSL is usually better for streaming than the fastest satellite internet.

Maybe someone can get it to work reliably but, so far, that has not happened.
Gilgamesh

Postby Gilgamesh » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:35 am

RandalSon12 wrote:So, how many gigs in general for an hour of SD streaming?
I am on the 10Gig plan for $50. My TV bill is $80 a month. Exede lets you buy a gig at a time extra, and has unmetered middle of the night useage, which would only work if i could capture the download onto a drive somehow.

I believe that it is roughly between 0.75 and 1.0 gb per hour.

Also Roku streams it does not download.
Gilgamesh

Postby RandalSon12 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:36 am

Crap. Will poke them at WildBlue to see what they say. : OK - I am actually on the 15G plan. Understand the copyright / streaming vs download issue now. Exede (WildBlue/ViaSat) says at 3.5M speed, there may be some buffering with a Roku, but of course they play it down.

Would love to hear from anyone with experience with a Roku and 3.5M more or less satellite internet. R
RandalSon12

Postby RickRansom » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:14 pm

RandalSon12 wrote:Exede lets you buy a gig at a time extra, and has unmetered middle of the night useage, which would only work if i could capture the download onto a drive somehow.

There's a different thread on this forums which mostly discussed the same thing, bu the thread is locked for obvious reasons. I wouldn't recommend the options mentioned there, but if you're interested, it's a good read.
Retired
RickRansom

Postby mogamer » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:07 am

If I had satellite internet, I wouldn't even think of using a Roku or other streaming device. Way too easy to go over your caps. What sat-tv provider do you have? I have Dish and I can download "On Demand" content from the internet to my dvr's hdd. What I would do in your shoes would be to download that content during your "free" period. This way it won't apply to your cap. Or if you really want to get something not available from your tv provider, purchase or rent content from Amazon. You can then download it to a pc or Tivo during your "free" period.
mogamer

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion