roku to stream

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

roku to stream

Postby GRB70 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:41 pm

I'm new here and I have no idea how roku and what it can stream works.

- Do I need certain capabilities on my TV?
- Do I need an extendar?
- Am I able to get local channels (for example local news and weather)?
- Am I able to stream other networks that aren't listed such as CBS, ABC,FX and Spike?
- Will I need any additional equipment?

I'm sorry for the noob questions, however, I need educated on this.

Thanks for any and all help

GRB70
GRB70

Re: roku to stream

Postby catastrophegirl » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:12 pm

- Do I need certain capabilities on my TV? your tv needs to be able to receive a signal either via HDMI or composite cable [R/Y/W] - if it has coaxial input only you will need an rf modulator, which costs $10-15

- Do I need an extendar? what do you mean by an extender please?

- Am I able to get local channels (for example local news and weather)? no, not via roku. you would need either an over the air ("OTA") antenna or at least basic cable to get local channels. roku does not receive channels in the manner you are used to. it's more like a collection of services you can pick and choose from, and most of the programming is on demand, like a giant DVR

- Am I able to stream other networks that aren't listed such as CBS, ABC,FX and Spike? not exactly. you can get some programming from those networks from services like hulu plus, netflix and amazon instant video, and those services have roku channels. again, this would be on demand or per episode content, not live

- Will I need any additional equipment? you may need an rf modulator as mentioned above, or an HDMI cable if you prefer to use that. you would also need home internet service and almost all roku models require the use of a wireless router.

edit: more recent tv and movie content is likely to have a separate pay per item fee, or a monthly fee via hulu plus. there are hundreds of free channels with non mainstream new content or older mainstream content. want to watch last night's ABC sitcom? you will need a monthly subscription to hulu plus. want to watch a marathon of seinfeld episodes? they are free on crackle
N1000, roku1 XD/s, roku2 xs, roku3
wireless
speed range from ~18-20mbps
http://catastrophegirlsrokuchanneldata.blogspot.com/
twitter: catastrophegirl
PM or tweet me if you want a channel added to my list, a correction or to update a developers' credit
catastrophegirl
** Valued Community Member **

Postby GRB70 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:34 pm

By extendar, such as xbox 360 or PS3, in order to have connection to my PC.

I forgot to ask, will I be able to use Media Players DVR?

thx again :)
GRB70

Postby Basil » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:04 pm

GRB70 wrote:By extendar, such as xbox 360 or PS3, in order to have connection to my PC.

I forgot to ask, will I be able to use Media Players DVR?

thx again :)

Roku is an Internet streaming device. It streams content from providers (Hulu Plus, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Crackle, and a whole boatload more) that have created channels for use with the device. You can find a list of official channels here.

Some have successfully streamed local content local content using Plex or other channels and local server setups. Those that have done that can offer their opinions on how well it works.

If you're wanting to use Windows Media Center (is that what you mean by "Media Players DVR?"), you may want to invest in an Xbox 360 and a Windows Live Gold account. That gets you the major channels that you get with Roku (the ones I mentioned plus others). Also, Microsoft to Microsoft will likely work better than Microsoft to third-party.
Basil
http://www.basilsblog.com/
http://www.imao.us/
Roku 3, Roku LT, Roku HDMI Streaming Stick; previous: Roku 1, Roku 2 XS, Roku 2 XD, Roku 2 HD, Roku XD|S, Roku HD
Also running Apple TV, TiVo/OTA, Chromecast; Previous: Simple.TV/OTA, Amazon Fire TV
Basil

Postby GRB70 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:05 pm

I'm confused, are you saying the Xbox 360 and a Windows Live Gold account, in place of Roku? Or just for the DVR stuff? Either way, I assume there will be a subscription fee for what you want to watch, correct?

thx :)
GRB70

Postby Basil » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:20 pm

GRB70 wrote:I'm confused, are you saying the Xbox 360 and a Windows Live Gold account, in place of Roku? Or just for the DVR stuff? Either way, I assume there will be a subscription fee for what you want to watch, correct?

thx :)

I'm saying that if you're looking to have a device that connects to your Windows Media Center, the only Media Center Extender currently on the market is the Xbox 360. And, with an Xbox 360, you can get the most popular channels; not nearly as many as on a Roku, but the ones they have are pretty good. You can research the channels they offer and other Xbox functionality at http://www.xbox.com/.

I'm not trying to talk you out of a Roku by any means. But, if an Xbox does the Media Center Extender stuff you want, it may be best for your situation to get an Xbox.
Basil
http://www.basilsblog.com/
http://www.imao.us/
Roku 3, Roku LT, Roku HDMI Streaming Stick; previous: Roku 1, Roku 2 XS, Roku 2 XD, Roku 2 HD, Roku XD|S, Roku HD
Also running Apple TV, TiVo/OTA, Chromecast; Previous: Simple.TV/OTA, Amazon Fire TV
Basil

Postby GRB70 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:35 pm

Ok understood. I don't want to take that route, I was just asking if I would need one. That being said, Would this post get me started?

catastrophegirl wrote:- Do I need certain capabilities on my TV? your tv needs to be able to receive a signal either via HDMI or composite cable [R/Y/W] - if it has coaxial input only you will need an rf modulator, which costs $10-15

- Do I need an extendar? what do you mean by an extender please?

- Am I able to get local channels (for example local news and weather)? no, not via roku. you would need either an over the air ("OTA") antenna or at least basic cable to get local channels. roku does not receive channels in the manner you are used to. it's more like a collection of services you can pick and choose from, and most of the programming is on demand, like a giant DVR

- Am I able to stream other networks that aren't listed such as CBS, ABC,FX and Spike? not exactly. you can get some programming from those networks from services like hulu plus, netflix and amazon instant video, and those services have roku channels. again, this would be on demand or per episode content, not live

- Will I need any additional equipment? you may need an rf modulator as mentioned above, or an HDMI cable if you prefer to use that. you would also need home internet service and almost all roku models require the use of a wireless router.

edit: more recent tv and movie content is likely to have a separate pay per item fee, or a monthly fee via hulu plus. there are hundreds of free channels with non mainstream new content or older mainstream content. want to watch last night's ABC sitcom? you will need a monthly subscription to hulu plus. want to watch a marathon of seinfeld episodes? they are free on crackle

Is there an option for me to have a DVR?

ty :)
GRB70

Postby kc8pql » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:41 pm

There is this third party DVR option: https://www.simple.tv/

Here's a thread about it: http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=52666&hilit=Simple+TV#p358152
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql

Postby jeff1212 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:29 am

If your tv supports HDMI, I've had great success running a HDMI cable from my graphics board HD6670 to my widescreen. Just had to tweek the controls on the graphics board a little and the picture is extremely close to a HD channel.
jeff1212

Postby catastrophegirl » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:42 am

as far as an option to have a dvr [hardware] goes, it's not really needed nor compatible with a roku. there are some software options that could turn your home pc into a dvr that plays back to the roku, but most people don't ever need it.
most of the content on roku is on demand, so you just go find what you want to watch and watch it.
some of the content rotates and expires, so if you have a tendency to save something for months or years you might desire a dvr. but if your window to watch something is a few weeks, a dvr wouldn't really create any benefit for you.

edit: unless you mean you want a dvr to record over the air local broadcasts. then yes, many people do that. but that would be separate from the roku.
N1000, roku1 XD/s, roku2 xs, roku3
wireless
speed range from ~18-20mbps
http://catastrophegirlsrokuchanneldata.blogspot.com/
twitter: catastrophegirl
PM or tweet me if you want a channel added to my list, a correction or to update a developers' credit
catastrophegirl

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion