set roku to 1080P now no signal

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

set roku to 1080P now no signal

Postby mletendre » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:27 pm

I had 2 TVs that were only 720, so I had Roku just hooked up via the AV cables. I just got a brand new Samsung LED tv and it does support 1080P, so I attached the HDMI cable and set it to 1080P and the screen went black, and then the TV had a no signal message.

If I unplug the HDMI I can then use the AV again (It resets it back to 480 I assume). Of course when the HDMI cable isnt attached then it doesnt have option to set it to 1080 or 720 or anything else.

What may the issue be and how do I correct it so I can get the most out of my TV and Roku?
mletendre

Re: set roku to 1080P now no signal

Postby lion7718 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:40 pm

Did you try unplugging the Roku & plugging it back in..??
lion7718

Postby mletendre » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:45 pm

Yes that was the first thing I tried doing. No Dice.

I tried keeping the HMDI cable plugged in and rebooting the Roku andd then pressing <- 4 times down twice or whatever it was when I searching to try to set it back to 720 or something. That didnt seem to work.
mletendre

Postby Matt9876 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:08 pm

As a electronics tech I would immediately test with another known good HDMI cable if the TV screen went black and then the TV had a no signal message.
ROKU 3
ROKU 2 XS
ROKU HD
Simple TV OTA DVR
Matt9876

Postby mletendre » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:22 pm

yes peraps I should have stated that I checked with a known good HDMI cable. After I attached it the first time with a brand new cable from MonoPrice and it didnt work I attached the cable from my Blu Ray and same thing.
mletendre

Postby RickRansom » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:36 am

What's the make and model of your Samsung?
Retired
RickRansom

Postby __5 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:36 pm

^^^
+1

mletendre wrote:.. I tried keeping the HMDI cable plugged in and rebooting the Roku and then pressing <- 4 times down twice or whatever it was when I searching to try to set it back to 720 or something. That didnt seem to work.

Btw, the 4 times are now 5 times. :)

assuming you have Roku (XS, XD, HD, LT)

To set the Display to 720p (after reboot):
[Left] 5 times
[Ok]
[Down] 2 times
[Ok]
[Up] 1 time
[Ok]

If for some reason you missed the mark,

Reboot Roku (XS, XD, HD, LT):
[Home] 5 times
[Fast Forward]
[Play]
[Fast Rewind]
[Play]
[Fast Forward]
[Up] 3 times
[Ok]

Wait ... make sure it's fully rebooted, then try to set the Display to 720p again - good luck

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:idea: FYI, did you know HDMI 1.4 specification have now five HDMI cable types to choose from. read here.
__5
** Valued Community Member **

Postby aprilsunshine » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:35 pm

I am having the same issue. I was messing with the settings and now I wish I had not because I screwed it all up. I have been using my Roku previously with no problems for almost two years. Now when I turn on the Roku, I get the bouncing purple logo for about 30 seconds and then my screen goes blue and says "no signal". I've tried everything to fix it. New HDMI cord. Different HDMI slot. Reset button on the back for 20 sec. Every remote combination I've seen on these forums ([Left] 5 times, [Ok], etc....). The only thing I haven't tried is hooking it up with the composite cables and that's only because I don't have them. I didn't want to reorder them only to have that not even fix the issue. I'm so frustrated. I paid $100 for a paperweight. It seems ridiculous to me that there isn't a way to fix this.

As far as those [Left] 5 times [Ok], etc. combinations...... I've seen several variations. Where can I find the one that might actually work? Does anyone on here have any info on my issue and how to possibly fix it? I was contemplating getting a new unit but it seems like a waste since my current unit is not even broken. And as much as I've loved my Roku, I'm so frustrated at this point that I'll probably go with another brand in hopes that I wouldn't have these issues. Plus, other brands have the Youtube option that the Roku is missing.

There has got to be a way to fix this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time!
aprilsunshine

Postby renojim » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:57 pm

First of all, it's at least 30 seconds, not 20. Second, you need to give us more information, like what model TV you have. It sounds like your TV doesn't support 1080p. If that's the case, you can blindly set your Roku back to 720p:
  • Reboot your Roku (unplug it for a second or two and plug it back in)
  • Once the bouncing logo goes away, give it another 10 seconds to get to the main screen (the light on the front should stop flashing)
  • Press and hold Rewind for 5 seconds. If you have sound, you can hear it "bottom out" when it gets to the left end)
  • Press OK.
  • Press Down twice.
  • Press OK.
  • Press Up once.
  • Press OK.
That should set it back to 720p.

Good luck!
-JT
renojim
** Valued Community Member **

Postby aprilsunshine » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:18 pm

Thank you for responding. My TV is two years old and is an Element (Class 1080p 60Hz LCD HDTV, ELDFW402). I will try what you suggested. Was on Roku Support chat and was told I need to hook up to a different tv or try the composite cables instead of HDMI. I had to reorder the composite cables because I misplaced the ones that came with the Roku. I'm hoping I don't need them after all.
Last edited by aprilsunshine on Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aprilsunshine

Postby aprilsunshine » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:20 pm

And I tried it for 40 seconds as the chat person suggested but it was still the same. :(
aprilsunshine

Postby aprilsunshine » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:22 am

Just wanted to update anyone who has my issue. The only way I was able to fix my problem was to hook up the Roku with the red-yellow-white cables instead of the HDMI cable. The Roku immediately started working. From there, I switched back to the HDMI cord with no issues now. I have it set to 1080p with no problems. It was when I set it to 720p that everything went to <The entropy of a perfect crystal, at absolute zero kelvin, is exactly equal to zero. - Third Law of Thermodynamics>. I had to order the cords since I no longer had the ones that the Roku came with. So I'm out $15, but at least its working now.
aprilsunshine

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion