Roku 3's A9 Chip May Bring An Official YouTube Channel

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Roku 3's A9 Chip May Bring An Official YouTube Channel

Postby DanRayburn » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:50 pm

A9 Chip Inside The Roku 3 May Finally Allow For An Official YouTube Channel
http://blog.streamingmedia.com/the_busi ... annel.html
DanRayburn
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:34 am

Re: Roku 3's A9 Chip May Bring An Official YouTube Channel

Postby Crow550 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:02 pm

It will.

They said the reason they didn't have a YouTube channel on the R2 & R1 hardware was Google's hardware requirement.
Crow550
** Valued Community Member **
 
Posts: 1934
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:36 am

Re: Roku 3's A9 Chip May Bring An Official YouTube Channel

Postby Buckeye911 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:44 pm

Crow550 wrote:It will.

They said the reason they didn't have a YouTube channel on the R2 & R1 hardware was Google's hardware requirement.

And you believed them? There are plenty of streaming boxes with hardware and software inferior to that of Roku that have official YouTube apps.
Buckeye911
 
Posts: 770
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:04 am
Location: Chesapeake, Virginia

Re: Roku 3's A9 Chip May Bring An Official YouTube Channel

Postby mikeyts » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:47 pm

I think they wanted them to be able to run the HTML5/Webkit version of the YouTube app; I can believe that previous generation Rokus wouldn't make a very good platform to run that stack of stuff on.
User avatar
mikeyts
 
Posts: 1527
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:59 pm

Re: Roku 3's A9 Chip May Bring An Official YouTube Channel

Postby EnTerr » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:21 pm

It's simple: YouTube wants the players to show the (often hella annoying) ads with videos and Roku platform was unable to do so. So there is a bit of pain and suffering to come along with official channel.
EnTerr
 
Posts: 1171
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:41 am

Re: Roku 3's A9 Chip May Bring An Official YouTube Channel

Postby mikeyts » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:48 pm

The CNET review had this to say:

Unfortunately the faster chip doesn't mean the Roku 3 will support YouTube. There were indications that Roku's older hardware simply wasn't powerful enough for YouTube's HTML app, but it appears that wasn't the only holdup. The lack of a YouTube channel has been a real sore spot for Roku, especially since it's supported by seemingly every other device. It's hard to tell what the real story is behind the Roku-YouTube rift, but I got the impression it wasn't going to be resolved anytime soon.
User avatar
mikeyts
 
Posts: 1527
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:59 pm

Re: Roku 3's A9 Chip May Bring An Official YouTube Channel

Postby Crow550 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:12 pm

Just have to wait and see.

Until then use a private channel that offers YouTube access. (there are new ones out there aside from NoWhereMans excellent one if you are lucky enough to still have it installed.)

Kinda why no one device does it all yet. Roku is pretty close though. ;)
Last edited by Crow550 on Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crow550
** Valued Community Member **
 
Posts: 1934
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:36 am

Re: Roku 3's A9 Chip May Bring An Official YouTube Channel

Postby Buckeye911 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:33 am

EnTerr wrote:It's simple: YouTube wants the players to show the (often hella annoying) ads with videos and Roku platform was unable to do so. So there is a bit of pain and suffering to come along with official channel.

Not at all true. The official YouTube apps on my GoogleTV, PS3 and LG Blu-ray player don't play ads.
Buckeye911
 
Posts: 770
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:04 am
Location: Chesapeake, Virginia

Re: Roku 3's A9 Chip May Bring An Official YouTube Channel

Postby Crow550 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:04 am

Buckeye911 wrote:
EnTerr wrote:It's simple: YouTube wants the players to show the (often hella annoying) ads with videos and Roku platform was unable to do so. So there is a bit of pain and suffering to come along with official channel.

Not at all true. The official YouTube apps on my GoogleTV, PS3 and LG Blu-ray player don't play ads.


Even if an ad played before a video. Big deal as YouTube does require Money to host all those videos and stream them.... :roll:

Plenty of people work there butt off making a living creating content for people's entertainment and those ads help there income.
Crow550
** Valued Community Member **
 
Posts: 1934
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:36 am

Re: Roku 3's A9 Chip May Bring An Official YouTube Channel

Postby time_shift » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:11 am

If that's the issue, that's weak. Play ads. Hulu does it. Even if it's a 2-3 minute unskippable adds, play them. That's what my tablet or laptop is for. I want YouTube on my Roku, and while PlayTo is a okay supplement, it's not the same thing. Not even.
time_shift
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:52 pm

Re: Roku 3's A9 Chip May Bring An Official YouTube Channel

Postby scyber » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:31 am

Buckeye911 wrote:
EnTerr wrote:It's simple: YouTube wants the players to show the (often hella annoying) ads with videos and Roku platform was unable to do so. So there is a bit of pain and suffering to come along with official channel.

Not at all true. The official YouTube apps on my GoogleTV, PS3 and LG Blu-ray player don't play ads.


It's my understanding that YouTube has two ways to license:

1) Pay YT lots and lots of money and have no ads.
2) Play Ads.

#1 is probably pretty easy for larger companies, but not so much for smaller companies.

My guess (and this is merely a guess) is that Roku spent time trying to negotiate an acceptable price for #1. After some time negotiating, they couldn't reach an agreement, but by the time the decided to go #2 YT/Google had changed their requirements to require HTML5. Other companies that negotiated agreements prior to the HTML5 requirement are probably allowed to continue implementing using a non-HTML5 api, but new licensees have to use HTML5. Once again, this is merely a guess at the timeline/situation.

As to why the R3 didn't launch with YT, well its possible the channel is still under development and hasn't passed qa yet. Its also possible that there is no agreement between Roku and YT at the time. It is impossible to know for sure unless you are an employee of Roku or Google/YT. And those employees are likely bound by an NDA that prevents them from speaking on the subject.
scyber
 
Posts: 1296
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:51 am

Re: Roku 3's A9 Chip May Bring An Official YouTube Channel

Postby Heyitsrick » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:51 pm

Fill me in here, because I'm not getting this. What is the practical difference between an "official" youtube channel, and a channel such as VideoBuzz, which seems to dish up youtube fine. I installed it (even though I have the once-available youtube channel) and loaded up some youtubeness -- even 1080p fare -- and it seems like it's got the content that people want.

Are there features/functionality missing in VideoBuzz that are so necessary for 90 percent of youtube watchers that I'm not aware of? PCWorld printed up a story on how to get youtube on Roku yesterday via VideoBuzz: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2030126/ ... u-box.html

Honestly, I don't understand why this doesn't suffice for most. If it's just a matter of the channel having "youtube" on its moniker, that would just be silly.
Heyitsrick
 
Posts: 500
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:02 pm

Re: Roku 3's A9 Chip May Bring An Official YouTube Channel

Postby gonzotek » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:56 pm

Heyitsrick wrote:Fill me in here, because I'm not getting this. What is the practical difference between an "official" youtube channel, and a channel such as VideoBuzz, which seems to dish up youtube fine. I installed (even though I have the once-available youtube channel) and loaded up some youtubeness -- even 1080p fare -- and it seems like it's got the content that people want.

Are there features/functionality missing in VideoBuzz that are so necessary for 90 percent of youtube watchers that I'm not aware of? PCWorld printed up a story on how to get youtube on Roku yesterday via VideoBuzz: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2030126/ ... u-box.html

Honestly, I don't understand why this doesn't suffice for most. If it's just a matter of the channel having "youtube" on its moniker, that would just be silly.

I think the most important practical difference is that an official channel would be official--it would have support and not have a sword of Damocles constantly hanging over it -- the ever-present threat of Google demanding a channel be taken down for DMCA/other IP violations.

Also, people wouldn't need to discover the private channels, the YouTube app would be simply installed via the channel store.
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com
User avatar
gonzotek
** Valued Community Member **
 
Posts: 2210
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 12:40 pm

Re: Roku 3's A9 Chip May Bring An Official YouTube Channel

Postby Heyitsrick » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:00 pm

gonzotek wrote:
Heyitsrick wrote:Fill me in here, because I'm not getting this. What is the practical difference between an "official" youtube channel, and a channel such as VideoBuzz, which seems to dish up youtube fine. I installed (even though I have the once-available youtube channel) and loaded up some youtubeness -- even 1080p fare -- and it seems like it's got the content that people want.

Are there features/functionality missing in VideoBuzz that are so necessary for 90 percent of youtube watchers that I'm not aware of? PCWorld printed up a story on how to get youtube on Roku yesterday via VideoBuzz: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2030126/ ... u-box.html

Honestly, I don't understand why this doesn't suffice for most. If it's just a matter of the channel having "youtube" on its moniker, that would just be silly.

I think the most important practical difference is that an official channel would be official--it would have support and not have a sword of Damocles constantly hanging over it -- the ever-present threat of Google demanding a channel be taken down for DMCA/other IP violations.

Also, people wouldn't need to discover the private channels, the YouTube app would be simply installed via the channel store.


Well, that's all well and fine, but if you wanted youtube on the Roku, would you actually hold out when there was an available workaround like this? That's what I'm not getting. It makes no sense. Unless and until there's an "official" app, you go with what will get you what you need, right?
Heyitsrick
 
Posts: 500
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:02 pm

Re: Roku 3's A9 Chip May Bring An Official YouTube Channel

Postby time_shift » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:03 pm

@scyber, If that's true, and if YouTube is released, but only Roku 3 models support it, that's definitely going to rub some people the wrong way. Maybe even more so than Roku 3 dropping composite.
time_shift
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:52 pm

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests