Roku 3 has been announced

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Re: Roku 3 has been announced

Postby njweb » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:19 pm

philsoft wrote:
njweb wrote:The Roku 3 is a replacement for the Roku 2 XS (which was pulled from the site to make room for the 3).
In that respect nothing was "dropped" since the 2 XS already only had HDMI output for both video and audio.

The other Roku 2 models (LT, HD and XD) are still available for those who need other output.

The XS had a proprietary composite cable, so it was not HDMI only.

Oops, I stand corrected! I forgot about that cable (left it in the box) and the proprietary port is tiny.
The strange thing is I thought the site said HDTV sets only in the 2 XS description bullets, but I just checked a copy of the chart on the web and it says "works with virtually any TV"

They are likely trying to keep costs down since, for the same price as the 2 XS, they now include a significantly faster CPU, free earphones and the related audio via the remote feature.
Three Roku 3 units (March 2013)
njweb

Postby DerekHelps » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:21 pm

Gilgamesh wrote:
traal wrote:It would be nice if they could ship it not only without the HDMI cable but also without the power supply, and have it accept USB power like a tablet computer.

Not everybody, in fact probably not even most people, have a device with a USB port anywhere close to their entertainment center.

Those of us with computers and other devices with active USB ports in the entertainment center are probably in a tiny minority. Very few TVs older than 3 years have a USB port, mine is a fairly new (2 years) Panasonic and it has no USB port.

Not necessarily a USB port, but a USB power plug is quite a bit more likely to keep near ones entertainment center (such as is shipped with many Android devices these days). I've begun getting in the habit of having these in as many likely places as possible these days as they are so incredibly handy.
Netgear WNR2000v2
Linksys WRT54G with DD-WRT Firmware acting as Client Bridge
Soundbridge M2000/M500/R1000
Roku 2 XS 3100
-------------------------------------------------
It's all in the <sup>details</sup>
DerekHelps

Postby trekkeriii » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:26 pm

njweb wrote:
They are likely trying to keep costs down since, for the same price as the 2 XS, they now include a significantly faster CPU, free earphones and the related audio via the remote feature.

To me it make sense to get rid of analog. Roku 3 is a high-end model, meant for high-end TVs, so what's the point of including analog port for a minority of people that MIGHT use it for stereo receivers or some other reason. Also, it's one less process that the Roku has to do, meaning less resources and therefore less power usage.
Roku2 XS, 42" LCD, Ethernet (5.5 b320)
Roku Stick HDMI, 32" LCD, WiFi (5.5 b2027)
Roku N1000, 25" CRT, Ethernet (3.1)
Router - Linksys WRT54G2
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
trekkeriii
** Valued Community Member **

Postby time_shift » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:27 pm

DerekHelps wrote:
Gilgamesh wrote:Not everybody, in fact probably not even most people, have a device with a USB port anywhere close to their entertainment center.

Those of us with computers and other devices with active USB ports in the entertainment center are probably in a tiny minority. Very few TVs older than 3 years have a USB port, mine is a fairly new (2 years) Panasonic and it has no USB port.
Not necessarily a USB port, but a USB power plug is quite a bit more likely to keep near ones entertainment center (such as is shipped with many Android devices these days). I've begun getting in the habit of having these in as many likely places as possible these days as they are so incredibly handy.
Perhaps, but even so, what's the point? Either way, you would still have a cord going from the Roku to the outlet. It's not like that would eliminate the clutter issue.
time_shift

Postby kc8pql » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:30 pm

njweb wrote: They are likely trying to keep costs down since, for the same price as the 2 XS, they now include a significantly faster CPU, free earphones and the related audio via the remote feature.

...and because AppleTV is HDMI only too, they aren't giving anything away to the competition either.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql

Postby time_shift » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:31 pm

njweb wrote:They are likely trying to keep costs down since, for the same price as the 2 XS, they now include a significantly faster CPU, free earphones and the related audio via the remote feature.
I doubt that, as I have to imagine adding these ports are ridiculously cheap.

Rather, it's just the industry trend. 2013 Sony BD players, for example, do not have a composite jack, either.

Composite is just being phased out. That's all.
time_shift

Postby seahorsejl » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:32 pm

time_shift wrote:
njweb wrote:They are likely trying to keep costs down since, for the same price as the 2 XS, they now include a significantly faster CPU, free earphones and the related audio via the remote feature.
I doubt that, as I have to imagine adding these ports are ridiculously cheap.

Rather, it's just the industry trend. 2013 Sony BD players, for example, do not have a composite jack, either.

Composite is just being phased out. That's all.

Well industry trend, and not much space in the back to put ports :)
seahorsejl

Postby mikeyts » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:44 pm

seahorsejl wrote:
time_shift wrote:Well industry trend, and not much space in the back to put ports :)

Not just a trend for some things. AACS license agreement compliance prevents BD players shipped this year and going forward from having any variety of analog output.
mikeyts

Postby david0406 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:45 pm

AeroR1 wrote:
RokuMarkn wrote:
jdmac29 wrote:I contacted roku support on a chat line and they stated the roku 3's remote is wi fi and the 3 does not support bluetooth/infrared.

The Roku 3 is controllable by an IR remote, using the same codes as in the Roku 2.
It is correct that the remote which ships with the Roku 3 uses WiFi Direct, and that the Roku 3 does not support Bluetooth.

--Mark

Can you tell us, and avoid a huge crap storm later, multiple threads, and the finger pointing blame game, does the Roku 3 still output in RGB only?

Any Roku representative. Feel free to answer.
Last edited by david0406 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roku N-1000
Roku HD 2000C
Roku LT
Roku 2 XD
Roku 3
Roku 3
david0406

Postby phoenix42 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:46 pm

@time_shift, most households have a stack of RCA or composite cable or S-video and what ever other formats there have been sitting on the shelf because every VCR, DVD, TC, etc device came with them. Where are these cables going to end up? In the dump. We have the EU to thank for non-smartphone cell phones shifting to using USB chargers, as they pushed manufactures to adopt a common standard. This has now gone to the next step wit h some carriers not including a charger as standard, but they do provide it for cheap upon request, as typically most folks have several already. (http://news.o2.co.uk/2012/09/26/no-char ... new-phone/). This shift saves us all a lot of e-waste.

Not including a cheap HDMI cable (Tangent: Roku, the cable ye offer at checkout for $9.99 is in no way worth $25, $5 is a more realistic MSRP. Same for the 2gb SD card.) saves Roku about $1 per unit of the Bill of Materials (complete guess), or about $4 off the list price(complete guess). This is not about increasing profits, but surviving on razor thin margins, this is the same reason they can't decode MPEG-2 even though the hardware can (the Roku2 uses the same hardware as the Raspberry Pi, for which an MPEG-2 license can be purchased for $4, presumable this can be bought in bulk for less).

In fact I'm surprised that they've included headphones with the Roku3, I think we'll find that they are cheap basic headphones, and heavy users will likely dump them for a fancy pair. Most of these included headphones will become dust collector.
phoenix42

Postby time_shift » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:15 pm

@phoenix42, While I get what your saying, I do not think the problem will be with the person who purchases Roku 3 from the site, or online. It will be with the person who purchases this from Wal-Mart, for example, when it comes available at B&M.

I will say for those reasons, and more, is why I am glad to see the industry is moving towards phasing out composite. Many cords do either collect dust, or just end up in the trash, as many people use HDMI. Also, it forces people to use the correct connection, as many other people will use composite, even if they have a HDTV with HDMI, because composite is the cord that comes with most electronics.

At the very least, it it does not already, I think Roku 3 should say on the front of the box something to the effect of "Requires HDMI cable. HDMI cable not included."

Also, the other problem is when you have retailers such Best Buy over charging on HDMi cables at $20-30 (and more), when in reality, a HDMI cable should only be, at most, $10.

And I just assume the reason the Roku 3 includes earbuds is because people will be more likely to try out the feature by including them. Personally, I am guessing I'll probably try them once or twice, if that, and then give them away, or put them in the e-waste bin, and just use my own headphones, or earbuds.
Last edited by time_shift on Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:40 pm, edited 4 times in total.
time_shift

Postby Gilgamesh » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:21 pm

trekkeriii wrote:...
To me it make sense to get rid of analog. Roku 3 is a high-end model, meant for high-end TVs, so what's the point of including analog port for a minority of people that MIGHT use it for stereo receivers or some other reason. Also, it's one less process that the Roku has to do, meaning less resources and therefore less power usage.

To me it makes absolutely no sense. The Roku already is producing analog output to send to the remote so why would it not be a benefit to provide that same audio via a cheap little jack. It is a STUPID decision by Roku and makes many people unable to use some fairly new and quite good stereo equipment. 5.1 audio for many is not an improvement at all if fact for some it is a downgrade as their current high end audio processing will not function with it. Plain old Dolby 2.1 is about all that many high end people need.

Dropping the stereo out is as bad a decision as dropping the Ethernet port on the majority of the Roku 2s.
Gilgamesh

Postby time_shift » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:28 pm

If you ask me, I think Roku should go the Wii route. Drop Ethernet port, and offer a Ethernet adapter, for people that still want a wired connection.

Granted, that would require offering a second USB port, because otherwise, if Roku still only had one USB port, it would make the USB media feature useless, for people who still wanted a wired connection.

Plus, for people like me, who use WiFi, it would give us a spare USB port.
time_shift

Postby trekkeriii » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:33 pm

Gilgamesh wrote:
trekkeriii wrote:...

To me it makes absolutely no sense. The Roku already is producing analog output to send to the remote so why would it not be a benefit to provide that same audio via a cheap little jack. It is a STUPID decision by Roku and makes many people unable to use some fairly new and quite good stereo equipment. 5.1 audio for many is not an improvement at all if fact for some it is a downgrade as their current high end audio processing will not function with it. Plain old Dolby 2.1 is about all that many high end people need.

Dropping the stereo out is as bad a decision as dropping the Ethernet port on the majority of the Roku 2s.

Yeah, but are you really surprised? Roku has each release dropped a connection in some form. The second wave of Roku Gen 1 dropped S-Video (I have the N1000 specifically because I use it on my S-Video TV), Component (XDS had the special connector) and Optical (XDS kept optical), Roku 2 release dropped the Ethernet port (except for XS), Roku 3 drops analog. It's not surprising to me that they did this. I do think the dropping of the Ethernet port was the one I was most disappointed in.

time_shift wrote:If you ask me, I think Roku should go the Wii route. Drop Ethernet port, and offer a Ethernet adapter, for people that still want a wired connection.

Granted, that would require offering a second USB port, because otherwise, if Roku still only had one USB port, it would make the USB media feature useless, for people who still wanted a wired connection.

Plus, for people like me, who use WiFi, it would give us a spare USB port.

You know that's a great idea. Roku could sell optional USB or HDMI dongles that would allow old connector features or other options.
Roku2 XS, 42" LCD, Ethernet (5.5 b320)
Roku Stick HDMI, 32" LCD, WiFi (5.5 b2027)
Roku N1000, 25" CRT, Ethernet (3.1)
Router - Linksys WRT54G2
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
trekkeriii

Postby Crow550 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:41 pm

Well unless the Roku 3 offers Gigabit Ethernet port.... Which would be useful for a wired House that uses Plex.... Then an extra USB port with dongle would be nice. As for people like me who wired there House and cut back on wireless devices as much as possible.

If you do want a Roku 3 and have analog connections. Places like Monoprice do sell HDMI to analog adapters.
Crow550

PreviousNext

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion