Play .MKV videos thru USB on Roku 3?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Play .MKV videos thru USB on Roku 3?

Postby blaze92 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:16 pm

Do we finally have MKV support on the new Roku three USB media player channel? I am stuck using Plex now and would love for MKV support to come to USB.
blaze92

Re: Play .MKV videos thru USB on Roku 3?

Postby blaze92 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:21 pm

Checked the specific ations of the Roku three on the dedicated Roku site and it does indeed say that the Roku three supports MKV video files but I would like to doublecheck with users that have the actual product. I may consider upgrading my Roku just for this feature alone.
blaze92

Postby blaze92 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:38 am

Bump!
blaze92

Postby jacdx » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:05 pm

Yes MKVs work through the USB channel. Haven't tested very many or through any other channels, but the ones I tried worked great.
jacdx

Postby dwanthny » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:38 pm

blaze92 wrote:Do we finally have MKV support on the new Roku three USB media player channel? I am stuck using Plex now and would love for MKV support to come to USB.

FYI, The Roku 2 XS had same USB file specs as the Roku 3.
Video: MP4 (H.264), MKV (H.264)
Audio: AAC, MP3
Image: JPG, PNG
:idea: 20GB of Free CLOUD STORAGE: For a limited time you can use this link https://copy.com?r=lB3oTH to sign up for a free 15GB Copy.com account and we both get an extra 5GB of free space.
dwanthny

Postby Philomorph » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:12 pm

So far I've tried four MKV files. Three worked fine, but one played no sound. One of the others had two audio tracks and the player doesn't appear to have a way to switch tracks, so I wasn't able to listen to the English version, since it wasn't the default.

Also, the player doesn't remember where you were, so if you exit the video and then play it again, it starts from the beginning.

So far the player software seems extremely rudimentary and made just to check off a box on a feature list. Compared to the video file handling of something like the WDTV system, it's garbage.

I hope they improve it soon or I may send the R3 back within the 30 days and buy something else.
Philomorph

Postby dwanthny » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:17 pm

Philomorph wrote:I hope they improve it soon or I may send the R3 back within the 30 days and buy something else.

They are not going to improve it any time soon. It has been this way since the roku 2 XS was introduced. If you stay with the R3 your choice is to encode all of your videos in H.264 Roku friendly format or run a server like Plex from another computer that can transcode your videos into a Roku friendly format on the fly.
:idea: 20GB of Free CLOUD STORAGE: For a limited time you can use this link https://copy.com?r=lB3oTH to sign up for a free 15GB Copy.com account and we both get an extra 5GB of free space.
dwanthny

Postby trekkeriii » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:43 pm

Philomorph wrote:So far I've tried four MKV files. Three worked fine, but one played no sound. One of the others had two audio tracks and the player doesn't appear to have a way to switch tracks, so I wasn't able to listen to the English version, since it wasn't the default.

Also, the player doesn't remember where you were, so if you exit the video and then play it again, it starts from the beginning.

So far the player software seems extremely rudimentary and made just to check off a box on a feature list. Compared to the video file handling of something like the WDTV system, it's garbage.

I hope they improve it soon or I may send the R3 back within the 30 days and buy something else.

Roku has never focused much on local playback as much as cloud streaming services. So, keep that in mind. WDTV was more about local playback, so obviously it's going to work better on local playback. Better if you use Plex Media Server for personal media playback on Roku.
Roku2 XS, 42" LCD, Ethernet (5.5 b320)
Roku Stick HDMI, 32" LCD, WiFi (5.5 b2027)
Roku N1000, 25" CRT, Ethernet (3.1)
Router - Linksys WRT54G2
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
trekkeriii
** Valued Community Member **

Postby Philomorph » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:09 am

How good is the Plex channel now? I tried it awhile ago and it was fairly meh. But if it's improved maybe I'll try again.
Philomorph

Postby Gilgamesh » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:26 am

Philomorph wrote:How good is the Plex channel now? I tried it awhile ago and it was fairly meh. But if it's improved maybe I'll try again.

I try Plex from time to time to see if there is any real improvement but I have yet to find it useable in my setup. The serving computer is just too bogged down by the clumsy interface.

The alternatives include My Media, Chaneru (Has a MUCH better transcoding function using VLC) and Roksbox. Any of those offers, IMO, a better user experience and requires less power in the serving computer.

There are many Plex devotees on this forum but I am not one and I am sure that several will chime in with suggestions and recommendations. My suggestion is to try several solutions and decide based on what system can accomplish your goals the best.

You might even end up using two as I do. I use both Chaneru (Mainly for TV shows) and Roksbox. (mainly for movies) The two servers for these run on the same fairly low power computer and I can still use Chaneru's transcoding. (But I rarely use the transcoding as virtually everything I have is encoded for the Roku.)

BTW: Chaneru beta supports DLNA fairly well if you need it but the DLNA support requires that the DLNA server handle the transcoding. If you use Chaneru's server then you can use VLC to get any needed transcoding accomplished.
Gilgamesh

Postby dwanthny » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:36 am

Philomorph wrote:How good is the Plex channel now? I tried it awhile ago and it was fairly meh. But if it's improved maybe I'll try again.

I try Plex about once every 5 months and I've never left it installed, but the difference between 5 months ago and today is like night and day. I just gave it another try and it has replaced PlayOn for my local media playing and for most of my web content streaming needs. If you have a decent computer and the time give it a try.
dwanthny

Postby blaze92 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:56 am

Philomorph wrote:So far I've tried four MKV files. Three worked fine, but one played no sound. One of the others had two audio tracks and the player doesn't appear to have a way to switch tracks, so I wasn't able to listen to the English version, since it wasn't the default.

This post alone makes me glad I did not impulsively buy the new Roku three. Wanted to replace my Plex with the local USB media player channel but seeing as it doesn't even have standard features like resume video from where you last left off, it's pretty obvious that Plex is superior.
blaze92

Postby philsoft » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:59 am

blaze92 wrote:Wanted to replace my Plex with the local USB media player channel but seeing as it doesn't even have standard features like resume video from where you last left off, it's pretty obvious that Plex is superior.

I believe that is a limitation of the channel and not the Roku. I am able to resume videos in Roksbox, for up to 30 days as I recall.
philsoft

Postby blaze92 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:43 pm

philsoft wrote:
blaze92 wrote:Wanted to replace my Plex with the local USB media player channel but seeing as it doesn't even have standard features like resume video from where you last left off, it's pretty obvious that Plex is superior.

I believe that is a limitation of the channel and not the Roku. I am able to resume videos in Roksbox, for up to 30 days as I recall.

Other apps can access your USB drive?
blaze92

Postby TheEndless » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:00 pm

philsoft wrote:

The key difference is that the USB Media Player channel doesn't require a server. Since the USB drive is read-only, the only place the channel would have to store resume information would be in the registry, which is limited to 16k per channel. It could do that, but given the potentially unlimited number of USB devices a user could attach, it could/would run out of registry space pretty quickly. The local media channels that have a server can store resume information on the server, so the only limitation there is the space available on the computer hosting the server.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Twitch.tv (TWITCHTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion