Unauthorized content

Moderators: RokuShawnS, RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Unauthorized content

Postby nytetears » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:59 pm

I got my Roku 3 yesterday and got it all hooked up with no problem however almost every channel i went to and tried to play movies on came back as 'hdcp unathorized access, content disabled' (sorry I dont remember the exact wording but its close to that if not exactly it) I can hear sound but no video

I called the support number for Roku and she had me play a movie on Crackle after which the other channels (netflix amazon prime etc) worked. Today i went to use the roku box again and the same thing happened. Although this time i could not connect to crackle till after I unplugged the box to reboot it.

Does anyone know what is happening here and how to fix this problem.
nytetears

Re: Unauthorized content

Postby trekkeriii » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:05 pm

nytetears wrote:I got my Roku 3 yesterday and got it all hooked up with no problem however almost every channel i went to and tried to play movies on came back as 'hdcp unathorized access, content disabled' (sorry I dont remember the exact wording but its close to that if not exactly it) I can hear sound but no video

I called the support number for Roku and she had me play a movie on Crackle after which the other channels (netflix amazon prime etc) worked. Today i went to use the roku box again and the same thing happened. Although this time i could not connect to crackle till after I unplugged the box to reboot it.

Does anyone know what is happening here and how to fix this problem.

Try a new HDMI cable. That error indicates that the HDCP handshaking is failing, a bad HDMI cable can be the cause. At least your TV is smart enough to output the error, for most get a solid color screen.
Roku2 XS, 42" LCD, Ethernet (5.2)
Roku N1000, 25" CRT (3.1)
Router - Linksys WRT54G2
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
trekkeriii
** Valued Community Member **

Postby nytetears » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:12 pm

thanks I will give it a shot. I actually have a brand new cable so it wont be hard to try.
nytetears

Postby Buckeye911 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:12 am

You can also try a different HDMI port on your TV or AVR, the port you're connected to may not be working correctly.
Buckeye911

Postby TooTallInc » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:22 am

mine is doing the same thing, with video resolution errors too.

change your resolution from 1080 to 720. next time it happens change the resolution back. it happens EVERYTIME i switch video inputs. and its a good quality HDMI cable. i bought a brand new cheap one, gave me problems... upgraded it to my slightly older name brand HDMI cable (with gold connectors) and the error doesnt change.

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=54956

^ my issue is not far from yours. i hope they fix this with a patch soon
TooTallInc

Postby nytetears » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:57 pm

trekkeriii wrote:
Try a new HDMI cable. That error indicates that the HDCP handshaking is failing, a bad HDMI cable can be the cause. At least your TV is smart enough to output the error, for most get a solid color screen.

Thank you for your help. It does indeed seem to have fixed the problem.
nytetears

Postby saran2win » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:09 pm

Almost all channels gave the same error. I just powered off the by pulling the plug and switched back on again. Worked like a charm!
saran2win

Postby mandeldog » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:57 pm

I swapped my HDMI cables - TV was on HDMI 1 and Roku on HDMI 2 - my TV has only two HDMI inputs. That fixed the error. Maybe the HDCP handshake thingee is only attached to HDMI 1? At any rate, all is now good.

To clarify: Roku now plugged into HDMI 1 and TV cable now plugged into HDMI 2.

mandeldog
mandeldog

Postby CanMan14 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:44 am

saran2win wrote:Almost all channels gave the same error. I just powered off the by pulling the plug and switched back on again. Worked like a charm!

Same with me. I connected my Roku 3 in the same place and to the same HDMI cable as my 2 XS was connected to just moments prior. And for that matter my Roku XD years prior. Sure enough: "unauthorized content".

Switching resolution didn't help. Unplugging/replugging didn't help. But a power cycle did.

I think there's a bug with the new firmware making these boxes way to sensitive on the HDMI handshake.
CanMan14

Postby Jan Bass » Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 pm

I found the quickest way to solve this was to unplug HDMI cable from the Roku player and then plug it right back in. Picture comes up right away. Quicker than powering down and back up.
Jan Bass

Postby CanMan14 » Wed May 22, 2013 8:46 pm

Just happened to me again on my R3 - soft reset with the TV on the input of the Roku fixed it again. The cable suggestion didn't work when it happened the first time.

And it started happening to me on a hotel TV with my Roku2 (purple screen). After days or it working, all of a sudden it stopped.

I think the version 5 software is overly sensitive on the HDMI handshake. I've never had this problem on any other device.
CanMan14

Postby crodgers » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:07 pm

WOW! Glad I found this thread. This happened once before to us when we were in the first week of owning the R3. No idea why, but even cable/dvr would not work. unplugged power to everything (tv, cable/dvr, roku) and then plugged them all back in and everything was fine. Unexplained.

Then it happened again today. The HDMI switcher is my tv - I plug my cable box/dvr into the TV with HDMI cable, R3 into the TV with an HDMI cable, BluRay player into the TV with HDMI, and Wii with regular rca plugs (yellow, red, white). I turned on the TV and the kids had been playing Wii earlier and left it on. I turned off the Wii and switched the TV to cable box/dvr and got nothing but a big green screen. I switched to the R3 and it was in its normal screensaver mode with ROKU on the screen in different places. I went in the R3 to amazon prime, picked a movie and started to watch it, but when the movie starts, I get the message "hdcp unathorized access, content disabled". I tried other (HD) movies - same thing. R3 menu is fine, playing (HD) movies is not.

To fix it, I powered off the TV (waited 10 seconds until I heard the internal click of it really shutting off) and then turned it back on. I went to cable/dvr and everything was fine (1080i). I switched to R3 and it was fine, but detected 720. I went into the R3 settings and it was set to 720. I put it back to 1080, switched to cable and then back to R3 and it recognized 1080. Everythign is OK now.

So, for me - it seems to get messed up when we switch the TV to Wii and then back to R3 (or to AVI input, then back to HDMI input). I assume Wii plugged into AVI input does something to put the TV into a less than 1080 state, and switching to R3 or cable box as 1080 whacks it out. True powercycling (wait until it is really off or unplug the power cord for 10 secs) of the TV fixes it for me. I need to make sure the Wii and TV are both turned off before trying to go back to a 1080 source.
crodgers

Re: "Unauthorized content..." screen

Postby rlevine6 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:28 am

My R3 worked great for a month until I got this very anoying full-screen message. Per some forum suggestions, I unplugged and replugged in my HDMI cable...no change. So, I just unplugged power to the unit, waited about 10 seconds, plugged it back in and it came back up normally. Roku needs to fix this serious problem! Everyone who has had this issue needs to express their frustration on Yelp. Maybe then Roku will listen and create a fix.
rlevine6

Postby jagnth » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:42 pm

I ran into this after over a month of perfect functioning. I found this post and first tried switching the HDMI cables. I then unplugged the device and after reboot the error was resolved.
jagnth

Postby rgoodpa1 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:29 am

Last edited by rgoodpa1 on Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
rgoodpa1

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion