Games not Roku 3-compatible

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Games not Roku 3-compatible

Postby Basil » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:39 pm

I don't generally use a Roku box for playing games, but I thought I'd check out a few things.

I was a little surprised that Angry Birds appears to be not compatible with the Roku 3. Also, it appears that none of the other Angry Birds games (Seasons, Rio) are Roku 3-compatible. The new device does, however, include Angry Birds Space.

A search of the Channel Store on the Roku 3 (nice interface, by the way) for "Angry Birds" returns only the Angry Birds Space game, but none of the other three. And, all the other channels on my account showed up, except Angry Birds (that came with the Roku 2 XS).

Looking further, the Roku Website shows 49 games in the catalog. But, the Roku 3 Channel Store only shows 45. The four missing games:
  • Angry Birds
  • Angry Birds Rio
  • Angry Birds Seasons
  • Wheel of Fortune
I presume that their exclusion from display in the Roku 3 Channel Store (and the failure of Angry Birds to load on the Roku 3) means that for some reason these four games won't work with the Roku 3. The wifi (as opposed to bluetooth) remote, maybe? I dunno.

Just thought this was worth mentioning, in case it impacts fans of those games.
Basil
http://www.basilsblog.com/
http://www.imao.us/
Roku 3, Roku HDMI Streaming Stick, Roku LT; previous Roku 2 XS, Roku 2 XD, Roku 2 HD, Roku XD|S, Roku HD
Also running Apple TV, TiVo/OTA, Simple.TV/OTA, Chromecast, Amazon Fire TV
Basil
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Games not Roku 3-compatible

Postby trekkeriii » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:16 pm

Basil wrote:I don't generally use a Roku box for playing games, but I thought I'd check out a few things.

I was a little surprised that Angry Birds appears to be not compatible with the Roku 3. Also, it appears that none of the other Angry Birds games (Seasons, Rio) are Roku 3-compatible. The new device does, however, include Angry Birds Space.

A search of the Channel Store on the Roku 3 (nice interface, by the way) for "Angry Birds" returns only the Angry Birds Space game, but none of the other three. And, all the other channels on my account showed up, except Angry Birds (that came with the Roku 2 XS).

Looking further, the Roku Website shows 49 games in the catalog. But, the Roku 3 Channel Store only shows 45. The four missing games:
  • Angry Birds
  • Angry Birds Rio
  • Angry Birds Seasons
  • Wheel of Fortune
I presume that their exclusion from display in the Roku 3 Channel Store (and the failure of Angry Birds to load on the Roku 3) means that for some reason these four games won't work with the Roku 3. The wifi (as opposed to bluetooth) remote, maybe? I dunno.

Just thought this was worth mentioning, in case it impacts fans of those games.

I would hope since Amazon actually says in the Description that Wheel of Fortune is a game you can play on Roku 3, that it is a compatible game. If not Roku had better let Amazon know to change their Description of Roku 3 to prevent people from being misled.
Roku2 XS, 42" LCD, Ethernet (5.5 b320)
Roku Stick HDMI, 32" LCD, WiFi (5.5 b2027)
Roku N1000, 25" CRT, Ethernet (3.1)
Router - Linksys WRT54G2
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
trekkeriii

Postby RokuShawnS » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:11 pm

Checking into this now. Will get back soon.

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby djwilso » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:15 pm

Basil wrote:I presume that their exclusion from display in the Roku 3 Channel Store (and the failure of Angry Birds to load on the Roku 3) means that for some reason these four games won't work with the Roku 3. The wifi (as opposed to bluetooth) remote, maybe? I dunno.

I don't think it's that the remote is WiFi Direct, because the remote on the Roku Streaming Stick also uses WiFi Direct and the Angry Birds games are available on it. I'm assuming that the games just need to be updated to work with the version 5 firmware that (I'm assuming) the Roku 3 is running.
Roku 3 [Wired] 1GN381037973 -> HDMI -> Denon AVR-2809CI -> HDMI -> Sharp LC-80LE844U
ISP: Cox Communications, 25mbps down / 5mbps up
Router: Netgear R6300 V1.0.2.70_1.0.50
Cable Modem: Motorola SB6121
Time zone: Arizona (UTC-7)
djwilso

Postby kc8pql » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:17 pm

djwilso wrote:
Basil wrote:I presume that their exclusion from display in the Roku 3 Channel Store (and the failure of Angry Birds to load on the Roku 3) means that for some reason these four games won't work with the Roku 3. The wifi (as opposed to bluetooth) remote, maybe? I dunno.

I don't think it's that the remote is WiFi Direct, because the remote on the Roku Streaming Stick also uses WiFi Direct and the Angry Birds games are available on it. I'm assuming that the games just need to be updated to work with the version 5 firmware that (I'm assuming) the Roku 3 is running.

It would be interesting if someone with an R3 would check what firmware is installed.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql

Postby RokuShawnS » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:19 pm

djwilso wrote:I'm assuming that the games just need to be updated to work with the version 5 firmware that (I'm assuming) the Roku 3 is running.

This was what I was thinking as well, but I wanted to be certain.

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby Basil » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:31 pm

djwilso wrote:

Version 5.0 - build 5861
Basil
Roku 3, Roku HDMI Streaming Stick, Roku LT; previous Roku 2 XS, Roku 2 XD, Roku 2 HD, Roku XD|S, Roku HD
Basil

Postby seahorsejl » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:26 am

I had Angry Birds Seasons copy over to my R3 when I set it up (but not Angry Birds). Granted, I haven't tried to launch it... I was playing Angry Birds Space last night :)
seahorsejl

Postby trothatl » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:44 pm

I just setup my Roku 3 and got the same thing - four games are missing. 45 are listed in the Channel Store on the R3, but 49 are listed on the Roku website. I only have the original Angry Birds on my R2, but it didn't show up on the R3.

Out of curiosity, I checked the number of channels listed for every other category, and they're all there. Only the games are affected.
trothatl

Postby catsarecool » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:36 am

I love my Roku 3 I got last night. The ear buds are BRILLIANT. The only thing sticking in my craw is the missing Angry Birds, Seasons & Rio. I'm still playing those! Is this just a temporary issue, or permanent?
catsarecool

Postby Basil » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:54 am

catsarecool wrote:I love my Roku 3 I got last night. The ear buds are BRILLIANT. The only thing sticking in my craw is the missing Angry Birds, Seasons & Rio. I'm still playing those! Is this just a temporary issue, or permanent?

Shawn (RokuShawS) said they were checking into it. That kinda makes me think the failure to work/show up on Roku 3 boxes (for now) was unexpected. I'll just sit tight until they respond with either a fix, word that a fix is coming, or notice that it just isn't compatible. If the last, I'd be curious as to what's up with that. I kinda expect the first, though.
Basil
Basil

Postby RokuShawnS » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:23 am

Most of the games currently not listed will be coming to the Roku 3 in the near future.

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby TheEndless » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:59 pm

catsarecool wrote:I love my Roku 3 I got last night. The ear buds are BRILLIANT. The only thing sticking in my craw is the missing Angry Birds, Seasons & Rio. I'm still playing those! Is this just a temporary issue, or permanent?

Unless something changed, your progress on those games won't transfer over to your Roku 3, so unless you want to start over, you're probably better off finishing on the Roku 2 anyway.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Justin.tv (JUSTINTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless

Postby tobarefeet » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:24 am

Hmmm. I just bought Wheel of Fortune friday for my Roku 2. I'm planning on buying the Roku 3 (perhaps today). My wife and I love the game and I hope the issue gets resolved.
tobarefeet

Postby catsarecool » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:40 am

TheEndless wrote:

Unless something changed, your progress on those games won't transfer over to your Roku 3, so unless you want to start over, you're probably better off finishing on the Roku 2 anyway.

That is OK. I would expect that. I enjoy playing the levels again, even if I did get 3 stars already in all the levels. I just need to have the game available, not my previous stats. But it sounds like they will be "coming soon", so I will be patient.
catsarecool

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion