Roku 3 shows up as a wifi hotspot

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Roku 3 shows up as a wifi hotspot

Postby 0xnak » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:52 am

For some reason, after connecting my Roku 3 to my network (wired or wireless), it shows up as a publicly available wi-fi hotspot with the name of 'DIRECT-roku-504'. What's going on here? If you try to connect to this hotspot, it prompts for a password, which is good I suppose, but I'd rather just disable whatever this behavior is.
0xnak

Re: Roku 3 shows up as a wifi hotspot

Postby dwanthny » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:54 am

0xnak wrote:For some reason, after connecting my Roku 3 to my network (wired or wireless), it shows up as a publicly available wi-fi hotspot with the name of 'DIRECT-roku-504'. What's going on here? If you try to connect to this hotspot, it prompts for a password, which is good I suppose, but I'd rather just disable whatever this behavior is.

It is the access for the wifi direct remote to communicate with the Roku.
:idea: 20GB of Free CLOUD STORAGE: For a limited time you can use this link https://copy.com?r=lB3oTH to sign up for a free 15GB Copy.com account and we both get an extra 5GB of free space.
dwanthny

Postby 0xnak » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:57 am

Interesting...so a clever prankster could pretty easily cause remote connection issues for me by just sending a bunch of traffic towards that hotspot. Is there any way to change the ssid or turn off the ssid broadcast? If not, will one of the classic remotes (I assume they don't connect this way) work with the Roku 3?
0xnak

Postby dwanthny » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:59 am

0xnak wrote:will one of the classic remote work with the Roku 3?

Yes the classic remote will work fine.
:idea: 20GB of Free CLOUD STORAGE: For a limited time you can use this link https://copy.com?r=lB3oTH to sign up for a free 15GB Copy.com account and we both get an extra 5GB of free space.
dwanthny

Postby kc8pql » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:03 am

...the IR remotes, not the R2 XS Bluetooth remote.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby TheEndless » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:06 am

0xnak wrote:Interesting...so a clever prankster could pretty easily cause remote connection issues for me by just sending a bunch of traffic towards that hotspot.

You need friends and neighbors with less time on their hands.. ;) And chances are, if they're close enough to see the remote's SSID, "The call is coming from inside the house!"
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Twitch.tv (TWITCHTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless

Postby wowwee » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:49 pm

As a security freak, I would not like this at all, even if the ssid was hidden/invisible.

Not cool at all!
wowwee

Postby phoenix42 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:55 pm

Pass the popcorn please :mrgreen:
phoenix42

Postby philsoft » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:58 pm

It is the nature of Wi-Fi Direct. Have to either get used to it, or NOT use devices that incorporate it.
philsoft

Postby Burkhardi » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:38 pm

wowwee wrote:As a security freak, I would not like this at all, even if the ssid was hidden/invisible.

Not cool at all!

Your intranet will not be compromised from the way I understand it; It's Ad-HOC per se, the connection is not on your wireless network, it's on it's own.
Check out Wi-Fi direct on Wikipedia...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi_Direct
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku
Burkhardi

Postby Mark12547 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:13 pm

TheEndless wrote:And chances are, if they're close enough to see the remote's SSID, "The call is coming from inside the house!"

About a quarter of American households live in multi-unit buildings (i.e., apartments, duplexes, condos, town houses), so only a wall or a floor separates one household from another.

The 2005 census numbers likewise state that for household members (as opposed to households referenced just above) that 69% live in single family detached structures, 6% in mobile homes, and 25% live in attached (e.g., duplex) and apartments within a building.

In some crowded cities, the distance between houses is pretty small--smaller than the width of a typical living room.

So, for many of us (me included), neighbors can be very close even when they are in their own residence.
Mark12547

Postby mikeyts » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:30 pm

The typical engineering research and development environment is a cubicle farm. I suspect that this remote was tested with large numbers of them only feet apart, separated from each other by practically nothing, surrounded by other WiFi devices.
mikeyts

Postby aaronwt » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:02 am

Mine was using channel 40 on 5Ghz. So if 5Ghz is less crowded like people say, then it shouldn't be an issue. I just want to know if there is a way to change the channel that the Roku 3 uses for Wi-Fi Direct. I was already using channel 40 on the AP that was near the Roku 3. So I was surprised to find out that it was using channel 40 also.
Roku 3
Roku 2 XS--Roku 2 XD
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
aaronwt

Postby reddice » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:34 am

Does the remote use 2.4 Ghz or 5 Ghz for WiFi Direct? I think it uses 5 Ghz because only my 5th Gen iPod Touch which I have only connected to my 5 Ghz network can see it yet on my laptop that only has 2.4 Ghz using inSSIDer can't see it.
If it does use 5 Ghz then is there a way I can find what channel the remote is using as my iPod Touch won't tell me and I have nothing else that connects to 5 Ghz so inSSIDer can't tell me either? My 2.4 Ghz network is on channel 6 and my 5 Ghz network is on channel 149.
Earthlink Extreme powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony PS4 all Wired.
Cats are the best pets.
reddice

Postby jaym » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:56 pm

Trying to get rid of this extra Wi-Fi SSID named Roku Direct with the Roku 3. Have switched back to the Roku HD temporarily while this is resolved. It's totally unacceptable to broadcast a random SSID from my home. Might as well tie a Kick Me flag to my chimney. I'd literally be happy to open the thing up and remove the Wi-Fi antenna if that will resolve it. Obviously there should have been a software option to disable this security issue.
jaym

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion