roku 3 vs older non HDMI TV

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

roku 3 vs older non HDMI TV

Postby scforee » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:34 am

I odered the roku 3 because it's the newest. In my ignorance I didn't realize that I would have no option other than using an HDMI cable. My TV has no HDMI port. The roku 3 has no AV ports. What interface options do I have? Should I try to return the device? Thank you in advance for your timely response.
scforee

Re: roku 3 vs older non HDMI TV

Postby trekkeriii » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:02 am

scforee wrote:I odered the roku 3 because it's the newest. In my ignorance I didn't realize that I would have no option other than using an HDMI cable. My TV has no HDMI port. The roku 3 has no AV ports. What interface options do I have? Should I try to return the device? Thank you in advance for your timely response.

If you are not going to use it for gaming, then just return the Roku 3 and get a Roku LT or HD. If you want to futureproof yourself and have 1080p, get the XD. You might find leftover XS models, too.
Roku2 XS, 42" LCD, Ethernet (5.5 b320)
Roku Stick HDMI, 32" LCD, WiFi (5.5 b2027)
Roku N1000, 25" CRT, Ethernet (3.1)
Router - Linksys WRT54G2
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
trekkeriii
** Valued Community Member **

Postby RickRansom » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:12 am

If your TV has a 16:9 aspect ratio and it has component[RGB] video inputs, then getting an HDMI-to-component converter box may just save you from returning the roku 3 for a different model. Or if it's within your budget, get an HDTV that support 1080p.
Retired
RickRansom

Postby Basil » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:51 am

trekkeriii wrote:
scforee wrote:I odered the roku 3 because it's the newest. In my ignorance I didn't realize that I would have no option other than using an HDMI cable. My TV has no HDMI port. The roku 3 has no AV ports. What interface options do I have? Should I try to return the device? Thank you in advance for your timely response.

If you are not going to use it for gaming, then just return the Roku 3 and get a Roku LT or HD. If you want to futureproof yourself and have 1080p, get the XD. You might find leftover XS models, too.

I second what trekkeriii said.
Basil
http://www.basilsblog.com/
http://www.imao.us/
Roku 3, Roku HDMI Streaming Stick, Roku LT; previous Roku 2 XS, Roku 2 XD, Roku 2 HD, Roku XD|S, Roku HD
Also running Apple TV, TiVo/OTA, Simple.TV/OTA, Chromecast, Amazon Fire TV
Basil
** Valued Community Member **

Postby kb01 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:19 am

The easiest solution would be to return it and buy an older model.

Barring that, this is what I use display my laptop on my older TV via HDMI: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0080K ... UTF8&psc=1
kb01

Postby scforee » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:43 am

Thanks for the response. My friend has an older Roku and just bought the 3. He told me that I should do what I have to do to keep it if it's not cost prohibitive. He sais its that much better. I'm going to look into the little converter box from the last post for now. Thanks again...I'm gone to Fry's.
scforee

Postby Buckeye911 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:58 am

scforee wrote:Thanks for the response. My friend has an older Roku and just bought the 3. He told me that I should do what I have to do to keep it if it's not cost prohibitive. He sais its that much better. I'm going to look into the little converter box from the last post for now. Thanks again...I'm gone to Fry's.

Those converter boxes aren't cheap, nearly the price of the low end Roku. You'd be better off returning the unit and buying another model. You can always buy another Roku3 later if you get a compatible TV.
Buckeye911

Postby Burkhardi » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:02 pm

Buckeye911 wrote:
scforee wrote:Thanks for the response. My friend has an older Roku and just bought the 3. He told me that I should do what I have to do to keep it if it's not cost prohibitive. He sais its that much better. I'm going to look into the little converter box from the last post for now. Thanks again...I'm gone to Fry's.

Those converter boxes aren't cheap, nearly the price of the low end Roku. You'd be better off returning the unit and buying another model. You can always buy another Roku3 later if you get a compatible TV.

Monoprice had one for $38, but perhaps they got in trouble, it's not on their site anymore...
http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-108125- ... d_sxp_f_pt

Ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MonoPrice-HDMI- ... 257bbe459a
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku
Burkhardi

Postby johninFL » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:59 pm

The inexcusable exclusion of an analog output is why i won't buy a Roku 3. Even tho' my HDTV does have 1 HDMI input which i use all the time, i still have good uses for the analog output too,as do many other people with not so old high quality and expensive audio and video equipment that we're not going to throw away and spend LOTSA $$$$$$$ on buying new expensive equipment just because of hollywoods' fear of analog.
You'd be better off returning the R-3 and buy a R 2XS,and you won't need to buy a HDMI>composite video converter,many of which produce pretty poor PQ,AND many of them will shut down if HDCP is present,which blows the whole reason you bought the converter for.
Last edited by johninFL on Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
johninFL

Postby Burkhardi » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:25 pm

I know it all relative, but you can get a nice Yamaha [AMAHA RX-V373BL] with 4HDMI inputs for $199...
4K passthru, 3D, Component in, Composite in and the whole nine yards.. Use the receiver as your video/HDMI switch and run all AV items through the Yamaha to the TV.
Not all all trying to say this is a solution for you, or that you need one or anything, just showing what I found.
As I said, it's all relative, a LOTSA$$$$$$ could be $75 or $899 it's all relative. I think $199 for what you get is a good deal and gets the end user all current and caught up.

johninFL wrote:The inexcusable exclusion of an analog output is why i won't buy a Roku 3. Even tho' my HDTV does have 1 HDMI input which i use all the time, i still have good uses for the analog output too,as do many other people with not so old high quality and expensive audio and video equipment that we're not going to throw away and spend LOTSA $$$$$$$ on buying new expensive equipment just because of hollywoods' fear of analog.
You'd be better off returning the R-3 and buy a R 2X.
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku
Burkhardi

Postby johninFL » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:35 pm

^^^I have an excellent Denon 2310CI AVR($800.00 new) w/4 HDMI and 3 Component inputs,lots of composite inputs too,it's other types of A/V equipment i own that is analog only.That's why i want/need an analog output on my Roku.
johninFL

Postby scforee » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:37 pm

Buckeye911 wrote:

I've never used anything like this before so I don't know for sure what I'm missing, but I have been told that the search functions are really nice on the 3. Are the earlier ones like that? Specifically, which model should I get?
scforee

Postby Burkhardi » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:16 pm

johninFL wrote:^^^I have an excellent Denon 2310CI AVR($800.00 new) w/4 HDMI and 3 Component inputs,lots of composite inputs too,it's other types of A/V equipment i own that is analog only.That's why i want/need an analog output on my Roku.

I don't think the "new expensive equipment" has any more inputs either, you have a medium to higher end system.
OK, so I am curious now, what all are you feeding it with? Also, your unit will output component too, not just up convert to HDMI , correct?
That will let you put three componet sources on your TV w/o having to loose anything (if you fear that upconverting may add artifacts)
The 4 HDMI come where where, TV STB (e.g. Dish, TW, etc), DVD I assume; so what else do you have.

I know for me I have the following
TV STB - HDMI
Blu-Ray DVD - HDMI
Roku2 - HDMI
Roku Photobridge - componet
VCR - S-Video (I think).
Roku SoundBridge - Audio only (TOSLINK)

For the record, I do think Hollywood's fear is BS too; fix the problem, not the symptom, why punish me?

johninFL wrote:,it's other types of A/V equipment i own that is analog only.That's why i want/need an analog output on my Roku.

Do you mean sources going to the Denon, or are you saying that you have other setsup in the house (e.g. bedroom) that are analog only?
Burkhardi

Postby johninFL » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:03 pm

Burkhardi wrote:I don't think the "new expensive equipment" has any more inputs either, you have a medium to higher end system.
OK, so I am curious now, what all are you feeding it with? Also, your unit will output component too, not just up convert to HDMI , correct?

I feed 2 DVD players to the 2 Component video inputs(mistake.2 not 3 Component inputs and 1 output)to the Denon.The Component video output from my AVR is connected to my TV.
HDMI INPUTS:1 DVD player,1 laptop computer,1 DVDR,and 1 Roku 2XS. I dropped my satellite sub.~8 mos.ago.
Yes,my AVR will output Component video and will convert to HDMI.The AVR will convert all analog signals to HDMI,but because of hollywoods' over-the-top paranoia over analog,HDMI signals aren't allowed by law to be converted to analog.

Do you mean sources going to the Denon,or are you saying that you have other setup's in the house(e.g. bedroom)that are analog only?

I have other analog only(composite/s video)A/V equipment that aren't hooked up to my Denon AVR,and they're connected to my TV's composite/s video inputs of which there are 4 of.But my main use for the analog output on my Roku is for watching TV w/o having to turn my AVR "on".I don't need to watch the news/weather and a few other programs in HD or surround sound,and the video quality from the Roku's analog output is VERY good. :)
johninFL

Postby njweb » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:49 am

I know there are video switchers that convert HDMI to analog audio / video signals (e.g. component).
However, I cannot attest to their quality.

Here's just one example (for illustration only - there are other similar devices from other mfrs):
http://www.sabrent.com/category/tv-vide ... e/DA-HDCP/
Three Roku 3 units (March 2013)
njweb

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion