Roku 3 Power Supply Specs??

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Re: Roku 3 Power Supply Specs??

Postby DaveK64 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:43 am

Yes it works perfectly on 240v as you would imagine for this model number.

All ROKU have actually said is that while they acknowledge that the manufacturer rates it as 110 to 240v elsewhere, the fact they are only interested in the US market, means they have only tested (therefore warranty) it for 110v.... they don't actually say you can't do it - they just say they havent tested it, therefore it "could" effect the warranty... :lol:

Works perfect.
DaveK64

Postby onlyonetango » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:50 am

For all the South Africans that might be on this forum - tested on the workbench this morning. Works with our 220V supply as well :D No "smoke generator''. Measured 13.7V DC on the output which might be a tad on the high side, but that is without load. I would think it would drop with the Roku connected. So - all systems go. Lets get this baby running!! 8) 8) 8)
onlyonetango

Postby Burkhardi » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:13 am

Odd, mine is 120 only and the model number is not the same as yours either, it's like AAW-00 or something like that. I'll have to look when I get home.
Now the one you show, should work on 240v as it's rated for 100-240v.

@ PBridges, you have to canablize the wall-wart to find out. I make do that later when I get a backup one. But these types of wall-warts are not serviceable. I have seen people open them up and so stuff, but you have to break the plastic weld then reseal it somehow and it's too dangerous to recommend. even more so when you can get a 100-240 for less then $15 or see if you can find one used or what have you.

DaveK64 wrote:
pbridges wrote:I plugged in the Roku supplied plug packs with US-AU converters/adapters, and they all work fine. They actually run cooler than my three LT's did.

Yes, there's half a dozen people now all running Roku adapters on 240v. All good, no issues, no additional power supply needed.

Power Adapter Model FA1201000SUC

Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku
Burkhardi

Postby pshivers » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:54 pm

Roku 3 Power Supply Specs showing:

AC Adapter
Input 120AVC 60Hz 0.5A
Output 12.0V == 1.0A

Model# FA-120 1000SUC

Plug type polarity symbol: [Center positive]
( -C+ ) Center tip is [+] Barrel is [-]

Just received my Roku 3 today and thought very briefly I could just use my Roku 2 XD Power Supply, ( I didn't want to unravel all those cords inside my Entertainment System! ) Wrong! :?
The specs on the power supply do match exactly what is listed above

Completely different power supply from the Roku 2 XD!

First the barrel connector to the Roku 3 is much smaller, Good thing too as the power supply spes are new too!

Compare specs above to these specs for the Roku 2 XD:
AC Adapter
Model# FA-0521000SUA
Input 100-240 VAC 50/60Hz 0.15A
Output 5.0V == 1.0A

Efficiency Level V
Plug type polarity symbol: [Center positive]
( -C+ ) Center tip is [+] Barrel is [-]

Thr Roku 3 does work great! Seems my ongoing network/buffering problems with VUDU and my Roku 2 XD are not a problem with the Roku 3!

BTW, the 3 is Quick! :D
pshivers

Postby __5 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:17 pm

pshivers wrote:
Roku 3 Power Supply Specs: ....

Completely different power supply from the Roku 2 XD!

First the barrel connector to the Roku 3 is much smaller, Good thing too as the power supply spes are new too!...

+1 :)

Roku3, Roku2 & Roku1 - External Power Supply Adapters – more info here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:idea: *** Roku Tips *** click here

__5
** Valued Community Member **

Postby adaminz » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:27 am

Hi I have a question for all of those that connected the roku 3 to a 220-240V.
Did you just used a regular convertor like this? Image
adaminz

Postby DaveK64 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:17 am

Yes, 99c off ebay.
DaveK64

Postby onlyonetango » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:57 am

@ DaveK64 I just plugged mine directly into a "kettle" plug - it fits quite nicely and into the 220V AC mains. Been running like that from day one. No problems so far :)
onlyonetango

Postby onlyonetango » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:06 am

I might just add, the Roku 3 is running a lot hotter than the mains supply/convertor - which is cool to the touch.

I suppose the physical size of the Roku 3 comes into play here. Most electronic components generate heat when in an operating enviroment. That heat cannot disapate through holes or anything like that on the Roku 3. From pictures that I have seen - mostly "surface mount" technology has been used in the manufacture of the Roku 3.

I just have my doubts on how long this box will work before eventual heat failure will occur . . . . :cry:
onlyonetango

Postby kc8pql » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:29 am

The PC board is mounted to the underside of the box top. I suspect it acts as a heatsink to dissipate the heat.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby romanski » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:40 pm

I join the international bandwagon of Roku 3 players who are utterly confused on the power adaptor specs. It clearly states on the power adaptor Input: 120VAC 60Hz. Probably need to invest more money to buy a suitable adaptor for Australia.
I fail to understand Roku's strategy for selling Roku outside US. Hope someone form the technical support can confirm if the power adaptor specs are only for the US.
romanski

Postby Platinumyears » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:10 pm

romanski wrote:I join the international bandwagon of Roku 3 players who are utterly confused on the power adaptor specs. It clearly states on the power adaptor Input: 120VAC 60Hz. Probably need to invest more money to buy a suitable adaptor for Australia.
I fail to understand Roku's strategy for selling Roku outside US. Hope someone form the technical support can confirm if the power adaptor specs are only for the US.

I was at the same point a few weeks ago with my new unit. I looked at the all messages, did a little research, and then slapped on a plug adapter and plugged into the 220V outlet. Has been working great ever since.
Platinumyears

Postby DaveK64 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:00 am

Yeah, Im not quite sure what people want to hear... the power supply is FINE... it does NOT need any power adapter except a 99c PIN adapter for your local wall plug type.

All good for 220 and 240v straight out of the box.

Enjoy your ROKU3 :D
DaveK64

Postby RickRansom » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:49 am

romanski wrote:I join the international bandwagon of Roku 3 players who are utterly confused on the power adaptor specs. It clearly states on the power adaptor Input: 120VAC 60Hz. Probably need to invest more money to buy a suitable adaptor for Australia.

Not sure if you read page 2 of this thread. Someone from Roku already explained why.
Retired
RickRansom

Postby jbhoz » Tue May 07, 2013 5:53 pm

I too have been provided a different power supply than that mentioned, here is Australia. Like a previous poster, I've received a Roku labelled model, rated at only 120v, with a model number of AAW-00. Unlike the model previously discussed as being safe to plug straight in, and without a manufacturer site saying otherwise, I'm hesitant to power through an adapter.

I'll be picking this http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=MP3486 up this arvo, which should be good to go as a straight replacement. Granted, it's not the cheapest option, but it's till only $20 vs potential product replacement.

Will advise of success. Or otherwise. Knowing my luck, the R3 will be released for Australia next week
jbhoz

PreviousNext

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion