Roku 2 XD does not connect to WiFi

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Roku 2 XD does not connect to WiFi

Postby vidro3 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:27 pm

I got this as a gift for Christmas. Just about every single time I turn on the device and try to access Netflix or any other channel I have to spend about 5-10 minutes fiddling with it to get it to connect to the Internet over WiFi (I find this especially annoying since 6ft of networking cable could solve the problem once and for all, if it had an ethernet port)

Anyway, I have my macbook, iphone, and my girlfriend's Dell and Android all on the same WiFi. They are right next to each other and they all connect without a problem.

I usually have to go through the WiFi network selection and connection thing a few times to get it to connect. Sometimes restarting the router gets it to work. But my main question is why the heck is it so difficult to get this on the WiFi network and is there anything I can do about it?
vidro3

Re: Roku 2 XD does not connect to WiFi

Postby kc8pql » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:20 pm

Try moving the Roku away from the other devices. A foot or so may be enough. Sometimes devices interfere with each other.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby gtmoore » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:47 am

Thanks so much. I was having the same issue as the OP and following your advice to move the Roku 1 ft away from other devices worked. I had literally spent hours tweaking my router settings, rebooting roku several times, etc. to no avail.
Thanks!
gtmoore

Postby vidro3 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:33 am

This has not made a difference to me. whether the Roku is 1ft or 3ft away from the TV it still does not connect.

I get the green dot for Connecting to Wireless Network and then Red for connecting to local network.

Then I get the annoying error message that tells me to ensure that the router is turned on and the password is entered correctly, (error code 014) which is annoying because the router is on and the password is in correctly, that never changes.

Also, Connecting to Wireless Network was green, then the error code says "cannot connect to wireless network" which is it, or is it just bad wording?
vidro3

Postby kc8pql » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:41 am

Code 014 means that the Roku can't ping the gateway, which it must be able to do. Make sure your router is set to allow LAN side pings.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
kc8pql

Postby vidro3 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:30 am

thanks, i have this option on the router settings, is this what you mean?
fyi it's a belkin router
"You can configure the Router not to respond to an ICMP Ping (ping to the WAN port)."

So I have unchecked the option to block ICMP Ping.

Thanks
vidro3

Postby kc8pql » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:24 am

Yes, that's it. Did it work?
kc8pql

Postby vidro3 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:40 am

It was working for a bit then I turned the TV and roku off for 10 minutes and tried again and got the same error.

to be clear, it does eventually connect its just that it takes a lot of attempts.

thanks for helping with this.
vidro3

Postby kc8pql » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:25 pm

vidro3 wrote:It was working for a bit then I turned the TV and roku off for 10 minutes and tried again and got the same error.

to be clear, it does eventually connect its just that it takes a lot of attempts.

The Roku is designed to be always on, and stays connected to the network. If by turning it off you mean unplug the power,
it has to reboot and start all over again. It uses very little power when idle, and that's also when it checks for software updates.
kc8pql

Postby vidro3 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:44 pm

all the electronics are on a power strip which gets turned off because I hate that everything needs a stupid 'standby' light these days.
(it's not even that it wastes electricity, i'm also offended by the idea of the standby light)
ill switch it to be plugged in on its own and see if that helps solve it.
vidro3

Postby kc8pql » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:44 pm

vidro3 wrote:(it's not even that it wastes electricity, i'm also offended by the idea of the standby light)

Roku's light goes off when it's in standby, and the R2 models use only 2 watts when streaming HD, less when idle.
kc8pql

Postby saipanrick60 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:15 pm

I have the same connection issues with the error code 014. I tried moving the ROKU but that did nothing. I checked my router settings to allow side LAN/WAN pings but had to call CenturyLink for assistance. The tech told me I need specific port numbers to manually allow pings and need to call ROKU for that. I have the CenturyLink Actiontec C1000A router. Does anyone know how to configure it for ROKU? :(
saipanrick60

Postby RokuShawnS » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:32 pm

saipanrick60 wrote:I have the same connection issues with the error code 014. I tried moving the ROKU but that did nothing. I checked my router settings to allow side LAN/WAN pings but had to call CenturyLink for assistance. The tech told me I need specific port numbers to manually allow pings and need to call ROKU for that. I have the CenturyLink Actiontec C1000A router. Does anyone know how to configure it for ROKU? :(

You don't need specific port numbers. I think CenturyLink might have misunderstood what you were asking (ie, reading from a script). I took a look at the manual at http://www.actiontec.com/products/manua ... %20NCS.pdf (is that what you see when you go into the admin menus?), but couldn't find a setting for the LAN/WAN pings, though I may have missed it. It may not be supported with the firmware established on the unit, but we might be able to get around that.

Re-post your issue to a new thread, and we'll take a look at your setup (we'll need details on your network setup, Roku model, etc).

C. Shawn Smith
Last edited by RokuShawnS on Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: I can't spellz
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby RickRansom » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:26 am

saipanrick60 wrote:I have the CenturyLink Actiontec C1000A router. Does anyone know how to configure it for ROKU? :(

Hey buddy, disable the "Stealth mode" on your router, that's the one that they are talking about. Same router this guy had.
Retired
RickRansom

Postby vidro3 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:12 am

kc8pql wrote:
vidro3 wrote:(it's not even that it wastes electricity, i'm also offended by the idea of the standby light)

Roku's light goes off when it's in standby, and the R2 models use only 2 watts when streaming HD, less when idle.

Ill plug it in on its own and see if that does the trick. The TV, stereo, and dvd all have standby lights which is why they are on the power strip. i thought it made sense to have everything on the strip so i put the roku there too.
vidro3

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion