Stream Network TV channels?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Stream Network TV channels?

Postby muchohumpty » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:36 am

USTVNOW was great but my free trial expired and they want me to upgrade to view basic channels like CBS,ABC,NBC etc. Wondering if there are any free streamng network tv channels available.

Doesnt have to be all in one package, can be 1 channel seperate like ABC only, CW only.
muchohumpty

Re: Stream Network TV channels?

Postby kc8pql » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:39 am

Ever tried an antenna?
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby muchohumpty » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:58 am

yes and i only get 1 channel, and ive tried a digital antenna aswell and nothing helps. Just moved and the radio waves suck, everyone here has cable. The entire reason i got Roku was because i dont have any tv channels and cant afford cable right now.
muchohumpty

Postby jreffner » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:12 am

Simple.TV

It's great! I love it. You'll need to buy a Simple.TV, and an external HD if you want to DVR. I'd highly suggest a Roku with Ethernet too.

Here is how it works:

Plug in an antenna to the Simple.TV box via co/ax.
Plug in an Ethernet cable to the Simple.TV box
Plug in a USB HD to the Simple.TV box (if you want to DVR).

Plug your Roku into your TV
Install the Simple.TV channel on your Roku
Link them. Enjoy.

This is the best way to get local stations on your TV.

I would suggest a Mohu antenna

http://www.gomohu.com
http://www.simple.tv

There is an optional subscription fee for Simple.TV
You can also stream to an iPad, iPhone or a computer.

Hope that helps.
jreffner

Postby Basil » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:17 am

muchohumpty wrote:yes and i only get 1 channel, and ive tried a digital antenna aswell and nothing helps. Just moved and the radio waves suck, everyone here has cable. The entire reason i got Roku was because i dont have any tv channels and cant afford cable right now.

There are no such things. I suggest that your best option is something like Hulu Plus ($7.99/month) which covers a lot of content, but certainly not everything.

Others have mentioned antenna or Simple.TV (which requires an antenna). You've said that doesn't work. Is that because no antenna will work, or simply none of the antennae you have tried will work?

I suggest you go to http://www.antennaweb.org/, provide your location, and check for the recommended antenna. Before I did that, I tried the cheap indoor models, and got hardly anything. I am in a situation that requires an large outdoor antenna ($100+), but I get all the local channels, at least.
Basil
http://www.basilsblog.com/
http://www.imao.us/
Roku 3, Roku 1, Roku LT; previous Roku HDMI Streaming Stick, Roku 2 XS, Roku 2 XD, Roku 2 HD, Roku XD|S, Roku HD
Also running Apple TV, TiVo/OTA, Simple.TV/OTA, Chromecast, Amazon Fire TV
Basil

Postby kc8pql » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:26 am

Basil wrote:
I suggest you go to http://www.antennaweb.org/, provide your location, and check for the recommended antenna.

+1
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
kc8pql

Postby FX4 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:03 am

kc8pql wrote:
Basil wrote:
I suggest you go to http://www.antennaweb.org/, provide your location, and check for the recommended antenna.

+1

+2
Setting up an antenna requires some work on your part but it's well worth the effort. It's not as simple as buying any old piece of junk labeled for digital television and tossing it next to your television. If money is really an issue and you are slightly handy you can make a good antenna for unter 20.00 or if its not that much of an issue, you can buy a commercial unit for 40.00 to 100.00 depending on your location needs. You need to understand what the requirements are for your location prior to purchasing or building an antenna.
OTA - Antennacraft HDX 1000
Roku 3
Roku2 XS (x4)
Roku XD (x2)
Roku XR
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3
FX4

Postby mikebdoss » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:18 pm

And remember that you don't need anything called a "digital" antenna. The old-style roof antennas (mine's 30 years old) will get you an amazing HD digital picture as well.
mikebdoss

Postby kc8pql » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:30 pm

Just be sure that whatever you use receives UHF. That's where most, but not all, DTV signals are.
kc8pql

Postby Frankie'sMarket » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:34 pm

muchohumpty wrote:USTVNOW was great but my free trial expired and they want me to upgrade to view basic channels like CBS,ABC,NBC etc. Wondering if there are any free streamng network tv channels available.

Doesnt have to be all in one package, can be 1 channel seperate like ABC only, CW only.

If the well-intended suggestions here for you to buy an antenna are totally useless to you because of the specific terrain/surroundings you live in and a cable TV subscription is not option for you at the moment, then yes. There's a way to access online streams of all the networks that you mentioned. But unfortunately, not with a Roku.

It involves downloading the XBMC Media Center on a PC or a jailbroken iOS device (such as an iPad or Apple TV). Once you do that, then you install the Navi-X add-on. Details on how to do these tasks can be found using a Google search. Just keep in mind that certain channels will be in SD quality only. Being that Navi-X is free, no one can really complain.
Frankie'sMarket

Postby muchohumpty » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:23 pm

I think I'm done with antennas, Ive spoke to ppl with the same issue here. Simpletv is kinda expensive, i'll just stick to Netflix for a while. They have alot of content. Roku is way better than what i had before(1 channel). I tried Hulu Plus but didnt think it was as good as Netflix.

I managed to find great Roku channels Crackle, Netflix,popcornflix,Vanguard, midnight pulp & more

Alot of great series I can catch up on.

thx for the advice
muchohumpty

Postby DownTheShore » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:21 am

I can't afford the cost of the cable tier I want either, so what I did was just downgrade to the very basic level of service, which is gives me the local channels (I tried the antenna route but only got in some of my local channels - and the reception was haphazard), and I supplement those with the Roku.
DownTheShore

Postby FX4 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:48 am

Frankie'sMarket wrote:
muchohumpty wrote:USTVNOW was great but my free trial expired and they want me to upgrade to view basic channels like CBS,ABC,NBC etc. Wondering if there are any free streamng network tv channels available.

If the well-intended suggestions here for you to buy an antenna are totally useless to you because of the specific terrain/surroundings you live in and a cable TV subscription is not option for you at the moment, then yes. There's a way to access online streams of all the networks that you mentioned. But unfortunately, not with a Roku.

It involves downloading the XBMC Media Center on a PC or a jailbroken iOS device (such as an iPad or Apple TV). Once you do that, then you install the Navi-X add-on. Details on how to do these tasks can be found using a Google search. Just keep in mind that certain channels will be in SD quality only. Being that Navi-X is free, no one can really complain.

This is not quite correct. We can't talk about these things here but if you are determined and have a computer you can absolutely get it going on Roku.
OTA - Antennacraft HDX 1000
Roku 3
Roku2 XS (x4)
Roku XD (x2)
Roku XR
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3
FX4

Postby wzwor » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:10 am

muchohumpty wrote:yes and i only get 1 channel, and ive tried a digital antenna aswell and nothing helps. Just moved and the radio waves suck, everyone here has cable. The entire reason i got Roku was because i dont have any tv channels and cant afford cable right now.

I'm not sure the discussion would be welcome here, but if you were to get a tvfool report and post the link, there are a lot of people who could probably help you get OTA.
http://thebeersoncomcast.wordpress.com/
wzwor

Postby philsoft » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:13 am

wzwor wrote:

I'm not sure the discussion would be welcome here, but if you were to get a tvfool report and post the link, there are a lot of people who could probably help you get OTA.

It isn't UNwelcome, but it would probably be better in the Off Topic area. I expressed an interest some time ago for an OTA section, but there didn't seem to be a huge interest in the idea at that time.
philsoft

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion