Questions about streaming UV to Roku

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Questions about streaming UV to Roku

Postby Cranston37 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:26 pm

Hi all!

I've been kicking the tires on the whole digital movie thing, and that has led me to a couple of questions. My two main goals are to have a back-up of my movies on a hard drive as well as a way to access my movies offline.

If I'm correct i can keep UV files on an external HD, connect that to the Roku via USB, then watch them on Roku using the Roku USB channel.

1) from where do I download my UV files?

2) with iTunes you have to have a computer running in order to watch movies from a HD, but I dont need that in this case correct?
Cranston37
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:57 am

Re: Questions about streaming UV to Roku

Postby philsoft » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:18 pm

Cranston37 wrote:Hi all!

I've been kicking the tires on the whole digital movie thing, and that has led me to a couple of questions. My two main goals are to have a back-up of my movies on a hard drive as well as a way to access my movies offline.

If I'm correct i can keep UV files on an external HD, connect that to the Roku via USB, then watch them on Roku using the Roku USB channel.

1) from where do I download my UV files?

2) with iTunes you have to have a computer running in order to watch movies from a HD, but I dont need that in this case correct?


You don't download UltraViolet movies, you link your UltraViolet account to your Vudu account and stream the movies (free) from Vudu.
philsoft
** Valued Community Member **
 
Posts: 4304
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 6:26 pm
Location: Midland, Michigan

Re: Questions about streaming UV to Roku

Postby Cranston37 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:14 pm

Are you sure about that? Go to www.uvvu.com, click on "Help and FAQ" at the top, and read 62 and 67...
Cranston37
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:57 am

Re: Questions about streaming UV to Roku

Postby trekkeriii » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:21 pm

You need Plex to watch iTunes content on Roku. You have to have iTunes installed on the same PC that Plex is installed. There's a way to watch iTunes content without iTunes installed, but I don't think I can mention this on the forums.

iTunes is not a part of the UV program, so if you purchased anything on iTunes, you have to use an iTunes authorized device to play it.

As for UV, the only way to play UV movies on Roku is through Vudu. Roku doesn't have anyway to decode the DRM on the UV movies via the USB.
Roku2 XS, 42" LCD, Ethernet (5.5 b320)
Roku Stick HDMI, 32" LCD, WiFi (5.5 b2027)
Roku N1000, 25" CRT, Ethernet (3.1)
Router - Linksys WRT54G2
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
trekkeriii
** Valued Community Member **
 
Posts: 1209
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:10 am

Re: Questions about streaming UV to Roku

Postby Cranston37 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:20 pm

I'm sure you are absolutely right but I'm getting all of my information from UV's own site so at best they are making things very confusing.

About downloading and watching online:

"Downloaded UltraViolet Files will play in an UltraViolet Player registered to your account, even if the Player is not connected to the Internet. You can copy the Files to other Players and make backup copies."

About making back-ups:

"Once you download an UltraViolet File you can make as many copies as you like, including backups to cloud storage. You can copy UltraViolet Files between your Players and Players registered to other accounts. As long as there's a corresponding right in the account the Player is registered to, the File will play."

Source: http://www.uvvu.com/faqs.php#question-62
Cranston37
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:57 am

Re: Questions about streaming UV to Roku

Postby Gilgamesh » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:30 pm

But Roku is not an "UltraViolet Player." There is a channel, Vudu, on Roku that allows internet streaming of "UltraViolet" streamed content but that does not make Roku an "UltraViolet Player."
Gilgamesh
 
Posts: 4912
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:29 am
Location: Dayton TN

Re: Questions about streaming UV to Roku

Postby trekkeriii » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:34 pm

Cranston37 wrote:I'm sure you are absolutely right but I'm getting all of my information from UV's own site so at best they are making things very confusing.

About downloading and watching online:

"Downloaded UltraViolet Files will play in an UltraViolet Player registered to your account, even if the Player is not connected to the Internet. You can copy the Files to other Players and make backup copies."

About making back-ups:

"Once you download an UltraViolet File you can make as many copies as you like, including backups to cloud storage. You can copy UltraViolet Files between your Players and Players registered to other accounts. As long as there's a corresponding right in the account the Player is registered to, the File will play."

Source: http://www.uvvu.com/faqs.php#question-62


The FAQ does not say that all UV videos are downloadable. Also, there's the DRM factor. You have to use a UV approved player to play the content. Similar to iTunes, you have to use an Apple approved player, because of DRM. I see that I can download my videos via Vudu. Vudu on Roku is the ONLY UV authorized player on Roku.
Roku2 XS, 42" LCD, Ethernet (5.5 b320)
Roku Stick HDMI, 32" LCD, WiFi (5.5 b2027)
Roku N1000, 25" CRT, Ethernet (3.1)
Router - Linksys WRT54G2
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
trekkeriii
** Valued Community Member **
 
Posts: 1209
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:10 am

Re: Questions about streaming UV to Roku

Postby Cranston37 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:24 pm

Thanks for the info guys. I just went and gave my blu-ray collection a big bear hug :D
Cranston37
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:57 am

Re: Questions about streaming UV to Roku

Postby Basil » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:39 pm

Physical media? That's SO 2009.
Basil
http://www.basilsblog.com/
http://www.imao.us/
Roku 3, Roku HDMI Streaming Stick, Roku LT; previous Roku 2 XS, Roku 2 XD, Roku 2 HD, Roku XD|S, Roku HD
Also running Apple TV, TiVo/OTA, Simple.TV/OTA, Chromecast, Amazon Fire TV
User avatar
Basil
** Valued Community Member **
 
Posts: 1792
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:26 am
Location: Columbus, GA

Re: Questions about streaming UV to Roku

Postby trekkeriii » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:56 pm

Cranston37 wrote:Thanks for the info guys. I just went and gave my blu-ray collection a big bear hug :D


If you thought that you were going to have DRM-free media because of Ultraviolet, you are mistaken. BluRay has just as much if not more DRM. iTunes has the easiest DRM to break if that is what you are after, granted such discussions as I posted earlier in this thread can't be discussed here.
Roku2 XS, 42" LCD, Ethernet (5.5 b320)
Roku Stick HDMI, 32" LCD, WiFi (5.5 b2027)
Roku N1000, 25" CRT, Ethernet (3.1)
Router - Linksys WRT54G2
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
trekkeriii
** Valued Community Member **
 
Posts: 1209
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:10 am

Re: Questions about streaming UV to Roku

Postby Cranston37 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:11 am

Not trying to do anything complicated (for me) like getting rid of DRM, just trying to purchase and enjoy movies while making the best decisions with my $$$. It seems the best way to do that (again, for me) in this digital age is still with a physical disc.
Cranston37
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:57 am

Re: Questions about streaming UV to Roku

Postby philsoft » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:05 am

Cranston37 wrote:Not trying to do anything complicated (for me) like getting rid of DRM, just trying to purchase and enjoy movies while making the best decisions with my $$$. It seems the best way to do that (again, for me) in this digital age is still with a physical disc.


To each his own for sure, but just to let you know. I had literally thousand of dollars in DVD's. They took up a lot of space, and sooner or later in your life, you will likely place a premium on space. A couple of weeks ago, I sold my entire DVD collection, which was taking up a lot of room here in the house, and now my primary video source is about the size of a hockey puck. I just wish that all of the money I had put into discs had been spent on digital video that is stored in the cloud.
philsoft
** Valued Community Member **
 
Posts: 4304
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 6:26 pm
Location: Midland, Michigan

Re: Questions about streaming UV to Roku

Postby JPatrick » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:06 am

Forgive me for intruding into your discussion, but you appear to be very close to a subject that I just "chatted" with roku/support on and was told I could not do, so I joined the forum just minutes ago and saw your subject...and, you obviously are knowledgeable in the field.

I have a Roku 2 XD, a Samsung Tab 2 10.1 (WiFi Direct and file sharing), and a router at the desktop.

I'm wanting to know if I can view movies I have on microSD cards on my LED TV wirelessly using what I have.

Are any of the connections on the 2xd useful? Can I send anything thru the router? Trying to avoid wired connections such as the Samsung HDMI TV adapter, if possible.

It just seems that with all the technology today, and everything being wireless, it could be done...of course, I'm not mentioning my absolute lack of knowledge on the subject!

THanks for any help.
JPatrick
JPatrick
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:10 am

Re: Questions about streaming UV to Roku

Postby philsoft » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:12 am

JPatrick wrote:Forgive me for intruding into your discussion, but you appear to be very close to a subject that I just "chatted" with roku/support on and was told I could not do, so I joined the forum just minutes ago and saw your subject...and, you obviously are knowledgeable in the field.

I have a Roku 2 XD, a Samsung Tab 2 10.1 (WiFi Direct and file sharing), and a router at the desktop.

I'm wanting to know if I can view movies I have on microSD cards on my LED TV wirelessly using what I have.

Are any of the connections on the 2xd useful? Can I send anything thru the router? Trying to avoid wired connections such as the Samsung HDMI TV adapter, if possible.

It just seems that with all the technology today, and everything being wireless, it could be done...of course, I'm not mentioning my absolute lack of knowledge on the subject!

THanks for any help.
JPatrick


The MicroSD slot on the Roku isn't for playing movies, it stores channel info and isn't really user accessible.
The Roku outputs through HDMI or the A/V proprietary cable. It can also output audio over WiFi Direct (I am not sure if the WiFi Direct signal can be routed to anything other than a Roku remote). It does not output content over WiFi or Ethernet.

ETA: The WiFi direct portions of my response are Roku3 only.
philsoft
** Valued Community Member **
 
Posts: 4304
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 6:26 pm
Location: Midland, Michigan

Re: Questions about streaming UV to Roku

Postby Cranston37 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:16 am

philsoft wrote:To each his own for sure, but just to let you know. I had literally thousand of dollars in DVD's. They took up a lot of space, and sooner or later in your life, you will likely place a premium on space. A couple of weeks ago, I sold my entire DVD collection, which was taking up a lot of room here in the house, and now my primary video source is about the size of a hockey puck. I just wish that all of the money I had put into discs had been spent on digital video that is stored in the cloud.


Really!? The funny thing is I have done that with music but for some reason I'm just having a hard time doing it for movies. I just cant help but think that I'll buy a bunch a UV movies then Apple TV will come out with some cool new feature I'll need to have and I'll be torn between the 2 systems. Or if I were to commit to buying thru iTunes (everything I use is Apple) that studios will pull movies from iTunes en mass to get people to UV. It's a good old fashioned format war, really. iTunes being compatable with UV would be a godsend.

I must admit though that digital media has turned me into more of a renter than a buyer anyway
Cranston37
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:57 am

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 44 guests