Constant 009 error codes with internet interference

Moderators: RokuShawnS, RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Constant 009 error codes with internet interference

Postby Joe Halt » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:09 pm

I just bought and hooked up my Roku 2 XS a couple days ago, and just got around to using it this weekend. My mother in law has one, and it works nicely, so I got one, and its frustrating me. I wish for once I could buy something hook it up and it works without having to alter or do all these extra steps to get it to work as it was supposed to out of the box. I get tons of 009 error codes. With Netflix and Amazon Prime, this is before I even try to stream. Its strange because I can watch the lights on the modem, and when its loading the movies in the Netflix menu, it disconnects from the internet, then I get the error code. Then when trying to load Linclon on Amazon Prime, which I've rented, its took us 2 days to get halfway through it because it does the same thing. Disconnects and gives me an error code, so I'm fed up! and I'm fixing to take it back! It's not my internet, I've never had any problems what so ever. I'm also running a Linksys WRT54GS2. I'm connected wirelessly and the Roku box is about 2 feet from the wireless router. I also changed the wireless broadcast channels on the wifi. I read this could help, it did not. I'm tech savy, but I don't want to go through MAC addresses, Static IP's and all that, I don't have the time right now, if that's the only fix I'm just going to return it. Thanks for any help you can give me.
Joe Halt

Re: Constant 009 error codes with internet interference

Postby trekkeriii » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

This is the third report of this. Indicates a DNS server error. What is your ISP?
Roku2 XS, 42" LCD, Ethernet (5.2)
Roku N1000, 25" CRT (3.1)
Router - Linksys WRT54G2
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
trekkeriii
** Valued Community Member **

Postby Joe Halt » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:18 pm

My ISP is a local TV/telephone company. I have cable with 10mbs down 5mbs up and a 10ms ping. Never had any problems with any of my computers or my Xbox, which runs Netflix flawlessly.
Joe Halt

Postby Gilgamesh » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:30 pm

Joe Halt wrote:... Never had any problems with any of my computers or my Xbox, which runs Netflix flawlessly.

Which is nearly totally meaningless as those devices use different streams from different servers at possibly wildly different locations.

Try changing your primary DNS to Google DNS secondary ( 8.8.4.4 ) or Google DNS ( 8.8.8.8 ). (The Secondary is better than the primary in many cases)

Content delivery is a somewhat fragile thing and the DNS settings often make huge differences. There are other possibilities but the DNS in your router is one of the easiest to change and to change back if needed.

If you need help on how to change the DNS settings post your router's model number and the users here can look it up and try to guide you.
Gilgamesh

Postby trekkeriii » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:38 pm

I am starting to wonder if there's a bad DNS entry out there, causing a connection error with Roku. Granted it's not too wirespread, only three people have mentioned it so far, granted each person has had a different generation of Roku, so that says something right there.
Roku2 XS, 42" LCD, Ethernet (5.2)
Roku N1000, 25" CRT (3.1)
Router - Linksys WRT54G2
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
trekkeriii
** Valued Community Member **

Postby Joe Halt » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:04 pm

I changed DNS 1 & 2 over to google, reset everything, still no good. I just connected it via Ethernet, and it seems to be ok. I don't really like this as if I move it I'll more than likely encounter the same problems over again. I read somewhere, as dumb as it sounds, that having a wireless device too close to a wireless router, can actually cause problems, but that wouldn't explain why it causes the internet to disconnect (or does it?). Still frustrated, maybe in there will be an update that addresses this problem in the near future.
Joe Halt

Postby PatrickHoban » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:14 pm

What IP range are you using on your network?
PatrickHoban

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion