[SOLVED] HDCP Unauthorized

Discussions about Roku products, channels, and Roku-related topics.

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

[SOLVED] HDCP Unauthorized

Postby ashneo76 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:37 pm

Hi,

I recently got a Roku 3 a few days. I am using it with a monitor that doesn't have an HDMI output. Hence I am using a HDMI to 3RCA converter.
It worked fine for a day. Now, I am getting a blue screen with "HDCP Unauthorized. Content disabled." but the sound still plays in the background,

Could anyone help please? Else, I'll have to return Roku.

Thanks
ashneo76

Re: [SOLVED] HDCP Unauthorized

Postby ashneo76 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:44 pm

Nevermind. Found the reply in a different post: http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?p=375728

Basically, going to Roku settings and switching from the current selected resolution to the other one, got it to work.

Thanks.
ashneo76

Re: [SOLVED] HDCP Unauthorized

Postby WCC1966 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:14 am

i changed my settings from 720p to 1080p and it didn't work. Then I couldn't change it back. I tried to contact support but I got this for an 30 minutes...

We are working hard to get to you as soon as possible.
You are number 1 in the queue, with a wait time of approximately 3 minute(s).
Check Featured Topics for any service interruptions. Click the URL to visit: http://support.roku.com.
Did you know that sometimes general playback issues can be resolved just by restarting the Roku player? Unplug the power connector, wait a second and plug it back in.

3 minutes took 30 minutes. (But it was 12am pacific standard time and I don't know where their customer service is so I not a big deal.)

When I finally got a human on chat here is how the conversation went...I changed the names for privacy, but the solution had a good outcome.

(S - RM = Support / WC is me.)
[color=#800080]Roku Customer Support
S - RM
Roku Streaming Professional
Good
S - RM
Hi WC, how can I help?
WC
I am trying to watch a movie on Amazon, but I get the sound and no picture. It is telling me it's not authorized. Please advise.
S - RM
We will do our best to resolve it!
Please provide me the serial number of your Roku player.
WC
I put in my serial number here
S - RM
Thank you for your information.
WC
The exact message is "HDCP Unauthorized. Content disabled."
S - RM
Okay.
Please let me know how long you are facing this issue.
WC
I just bought this RoKu 3 today and the show is the first thing I tried to watch.
S - RM
I am sorry for that.
Please let me know the place of purchase of the Roku device.
WC
Best Buy
S - RM
There seems to be an HDCP handshake issue between the Roku player and the TV.
However, this does not mean that either device is faulty, it's just that the connection between the two devices need to be reinstated.
Please follow the below steps in sequence.
Now disconnect the HDMI cable from your Roku and TV and turn off your TV and unplug the power cable behind the Roku and let me know.
WC
Done.
S - RM
Now reconnect the HDMI cable from your Roku to TV and turn on the TV first as soon as it turned on then replug the power cable behind the Roku and let me know.
WC
Done.
S - RM
Please let me know what you see on the TV screen.
WC
The RoKu start screen.
My Channels, Movies, etc.
S - RM
Could you please provide me the software version of your Roku Streaming Player, to do that please go to Settings > About > Software Version.
Wineesa Cole
version 5.6 dot build 60
S - RM
Can you please stream the channel?
WC
Yes, that worked. The show I wanted to watch on Amazon Prime is now working. Thank you so much for your assistance.
[/color]

So it was just a bad connection. No settings needed to be changed. I hope this helps someone else with the issue of "HDCP Unauthorized. Content disabled."
WCC1966

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion