Anybody else's roku 3's hot underneath the box?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Anybody else's roku 3's hot underneath the box?

Postby blaze92 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:44 pm

First noticed it last night when I was using Plex to get content from my computer onto my Roku device. The actual Roku box was pretty hot but I thought nothing of it. Now, I haven't use my Roku for a few hours and it's still kind of hot but not as hot as earlier. Anybody else's Roku three do this?
blaze92
 
Posts: 107
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:25 pm

Re: Anybody else's roku 3's hot underneath the box?

Postby RickRansom » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:54 pm

Can you open the platform screen and check if the roku reports any temps?
Retired
User avatar
RickRansom
 
Posts: 2156
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:23 pm
Location: PH

Re: Anybody else's roku 3's hot underneath the box?

Postby blaze92 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:43 pm

Temperature: N/A

Wtf??

I haven't used my roku three all day and it's pretty hot right now :(

Even restarted the box and it still says that the temperature: n/a
blaze92
 
Posts: 107
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:25 pm

Re: Anybody else's roku 3's hot underneath the box?

Postby Gilgamesh » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:23 pm

blaze92 wrote:Temperature: N/A

Wtf??

I haven't used my roku three all day and it's pretty hot right now :(

Even restarted the box and it still says that the temperature: n/a


The "secret" screens are not intended for general use. Roku has allowed their existence to be made public and the use of them to be allowed but they really are not intended to be used by the general public.

As Roku has grown I am surprised that those screens have not been locked down by some kind of daily code like a lot of other companies have done on their devices.

Only Roku really knows what those screens really do and what their information really means, when they should be used, what side effects their use causes, and what it means if the info shown is wrong or incomplete.

So any information you get about the "secret" screens from anyone except Roku is merely speculation, sometimes it is good speculation, but Roku is under no obligation to either explain or allow the use of the "secret" screens.

As far as the N/A for a temperature reading it probably means exactly what it says that the current temperature measurement reading is not applicable to whatever the Roku needs to display.
Gilgamesh
 
Posts: 4912
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:29 am
Location: Dayton TN

Re: Anybody else's roku 3's hot underneath the box?

Postby blaze92 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:29 pm

Back on topic; does anybody else's Roku three get pretty hot underneath?
blaze92
 
Posts: 107
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:25 pm

Re: Anybody else's roku 3's hot underneath the box?

Postby jeffrok » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:08 pm

I don't touch my Roku 3, but I wouldn't worry about the heat- afterall, it's a fanless device. unless it starts locking up on you, I wouldn't be concerned.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koy2eg1ioZ8&list=HL1380998604&feature=mh_lolz
User avatar
jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **
 
Posts: 3611
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:51 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Anybody else's roku 3's hot underneath the box?

Postby BradC » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:00 pm

might try setting it up on something to get more airflow in there. I did that for mine, seems ok.
Hangman•MiniGolf•BORK•Brain Puck•Birdie•FLIP•Pathogen•Pathogen 2•RetroTennis•Shut the Box•Logic•Desert Beauty•Wild Lakes•Bubble Wrap•Dots•Bounce
User avatar
BradC
 
Posts: 160
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:50 am

Re: Anybody else's roku 3's hot underneath the box?

Postby CanMan14 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:15 pm

Mine is quite hot - never noticed the heat on the 2XS but the 3 is pretty darn warm.
CanMan14
 
Posts: 71
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:43 pm

Re: Anybody else's roku 3's hot underneath the box?

Postby blaze92 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:21 pm

BradC wrote:might try setting it up on something to get more airflow in there. I did that for mine, seems ok.

My box sits on a stand with nothing around it >_>

My house is quite nice temp wise too so...
blaze92
 
Posts: 107
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:25 pm

Re: Anybody else's roku 3's hot underneath the box?

Postby testbest » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:36 pm

My roku 2 sits a little up and still gets quite warm, I wish there were vents on the box even though it's fan less. It would help a good bit.

Almost tempted to take it apart a little lol, especially when you're trying to save money on power and can't always turn on the A/C or as some don't have any a/c in summer.

Thanks for allowing the use of the secret menus etc, it's nice to have more hands on with a product than being locked out of everything.
testbest
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:34 pm

Re: Anybody else's roku 3's hot underneath the box?

Postby rayik » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:26 am

On all three of our rokus I'll glued little rubbler feet to the bottom to raise the unit up to allow airflow underneath. I started this with the Roku 1 which got quite warm. Raising it about 1/2 inch and the unit was much cooler to the touch. You can get them for next to nothing at any home improvement store.
rayik
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:30 am

Re: Anybody else's roku 3's hot underneath the box?

Postby blaze92 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:23 am

So this is totally normal? Just woke up and haven't used my Roku for at least 12 hours and it is still warm to the touch; That cannot be normal and I am starting to worry if I should return my new Roku three or not… it's always warm when not in use and really hot when in use =\

My parents Roku XD in the other room is absolutely perfect temperature wise which doesn't help my case at all :(

I don't really mind about fixing it as long as I know that all Roku three owners are experiencing this problem as well. <The entropy of a perfect crystal, at absolute zero kelvin, is exactly equal to zero. - Third Law of Thermodynamics>, a Roku employee Acknowledging this problem and even going as far as saying that they will fix it any upcoming patch will make me happy.

I doubt My Roku three box can survive this heat problem for a while...
Last edited by blaze92 on Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
blaze92
 
Posts: 107
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:25 pm

Re: Anybody else's roku 3's hot underneath the box?

Postby gonzotek » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:28 am

blaze92 wrote:So this is totally normal? Just woke up and haven't used my Roku for at least 12 hours and it is still warm to the touch; That cannot be normal and I am starting to worry if I should return my new Roku three or not…

My parents Roku XD in the other room is absolutely perfect temperature wise which doesn't help my case at all :(

I don't really mind about fixing it as long as I know that all Roku three owners are experiencing this problem as well. <The entropy of a perfect crystal, at absolute zero kelvin, is exactly equal to zero. - Third Law of Thermodynamics>, a Roku employee Acknowledging this problem and even going as far as saying that they will fix it any upcoming patch will make me happy.

I doubt My Roku three box can survive this heat problem for a while...
How hot is hot? 'Warm to the touch' is what many electronics run at. What was the Roku doing overnight? Was it paused on a specific piece of content in a specific channel, or playing a live video or audio stream, or parked at the home screen? What screensaver are you running? More data will help identify if you're in the normal range or there is something wrong with it.
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com
User avatar
gonzotek
** Valued Community Member **
 
Posts: 2210
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 12:40 pm

Re: Anybody else's roku 3's hot underneath the box?

Postby blaze92 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:33 am

gonzotek wrote:
blaze92 wrote:So this is totally normal? Just woke up and haven't used my Roku for at least 12 hours and it is still warm to the touch; That cannot be normal and I am starting to worry if I should return my new Roku three or not…

My parents Roku XD in the other room is absolutely perfect temperature wise which doesn't help my case at all :(

I don't really mind about fixing it as long as I know that all Roku three owners are experiencing this problem as well. <The entropy of a perfect crystal, at absolute zero kelvin, is exactly equal to zero. - Third Law of Thermodynamics>, a Roku employee Acknowledging this problem and even going as far as saying that they will fix it any upcoming patch will make me happy.

I doubt My Roku three box can survive this heat problem for a while...
How hot is hot? 'Warm to the touch' is what many electronics run at. What was the Roku doing overnight? Was it paused on a specific piece of content in a specific channel, or playing a live video or audio stream, or parked at the home screen? What screensaver are you running? More data will help identify if you're in the normal range or there is something wrong with it.

It was on the home screen and the screensaver was the defaults bouncing Roku logo. I wouldn't complain if my Roku is hot after use but it's hot after it hasn't been used for nearly half a day.


It's always hot
blaze92
 
Posts: 107
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:25 pm

Re: Anybody else's roku 3's hot underneath the box?

Postby jeffrok » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:58 am

How hot is hot though? Warm is warm but hot to me is "can't hold it in your hand for more than 5 seconds".
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koy2eg1ioZ8&list=HL1380998604&feature=mh_lolz
User avatar
jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **
 
Posts: 3611
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:51 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Basil and 21 guests