Incorrect aspect ratio

Discussions about Roku products, channels, and Roku-related topics.

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Incorrect aspect ratio

Postby gbutton » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:32 pm

Hey,

I did a good bit of googling and forum scanning before submitting this post so if there's a better place for me to be or this is an answered question, I'd really appreciate being pointed in the right direction.

I got a Roku 3 today to replace a 10 year old laptop attached to an 6 year old projector. The projector is 4:3 and instead of black baring the top and bottom of the screen, all my Roku apps just compress the image horizontally, making everyone really tall.

I went through every menu option to fix the aspect ratio and couldn't find anything. I really, really want to use Roku as my streaming option but this aspect ratio problem is driving me crazy. Any advice is appreciated.

Model 4200x
Software 5.0 - 7070

Let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks.
gbutton

Re: Incorrect aspect ratio

Postby philsoft » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:34 pm

gbutton wrote:Hey,

I did a good bit of googling and forum scanning before submitting this post so if there's a better place for me to be or this is an answered question, I'd really appreciate being pointed in the right direction.

I got a Roku 3 today to replace a 10 year old laptop attached to an 6 year old projector. The projector is 4:3 and instead of black baring the top and bottom of the screen, all my Roku apps just compress the image horizontally, making everyone really tall.

I went through every menu option to fix the aspect ratio and couldn't find anything. I really, really want to use Roku as my streaming option but this aspect ratio problem is driving me crazy. Any advice is appreciated.

Model 4200x
Software 5.0 - 7070

Let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks.

I don't think the Roku 3 supports 4:3
philsoft
** Valued Community Member **

Postby Gilgamesh » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:43 pm

philsoft wrote:...
I don't think the Roku 3 supports 4:3

I just checked on my R3 and you are correct there are only options for 720p and 1080p. There are no settings for any 4:3 mode.
Gilgamesh

Postby gbutton » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:43 pm

This confirms what I thought. I can't blame them for not supporting a decade old setup, but between this not having analogue out for audio I'm going to have to recreate my whole setup.

Looks like I found today's first world problem.

Thanks for your help!
gbutton

Postby gonzotek » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:27 pm

gbutton wrote:This confirms what I thought. I can't blame them for not supporting a decade old setup, but between this not having analogue out for audio I'm going to have to recreate my whole setup.

Looks like I found today's first world problem.

Thanks for your help!

Track down an XS(they've got refurbs on roku.com right now), if you need the ethernet. If you don't need ethernet, you'd probably be fine with an LT, for your purposes. That's assuming the only issue you're concerned with is the lack of 4:3 output, and everything else about the Roku was good for you.
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com
gonzotek

Postby ronfelder » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:15 am

Makes sense no 4:3 setting since it only outputs in hdmi.
Roku 2100x, (2) Roku2 3100x , Actiontec M1424-WR Rev I modem/router, Verizon FIOS 25/25, LG HDTV 42LH90, Pioneer VSX-920 Audio/Video Multi Channel Receiver
ronfelder

Postby RickRansom » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:51 am

If it helps, the XS can be set to 4:3 even if you're using the HDMI connection. You'll be getting 480p for the resolution and the rest is just about routing the audio from the A/V port on the roku to your stereo speakers.
Retired
RickRansom

Postby johninFL » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:23 am

The use of HDMI has no bearing whatsoever on aspect ratio.HDMI supports all AR's.
If the 4x3 AR isn't possible to display on the R3 it'll be because Roku decided not to support the 4x3 AR on the R3,not because HDMI doesn't support it.Anybody can test this easily enough for themselves.

IMHO this is the second step backwards that Roku made with the R3,the first step backwards was the elimination of the analog output. It's a step backwards because it eliminates the users' ability to choose which format he may choose to use.Eliminating the ability to choose always represents a step backward........not forward.
johninFL

Postby ronfelder » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:40 am

What I was implying was that since one was running through an hdmi cable and device why would one set theirTV to a 4:3 ratio taking the Roku out of it's ability to do hd?
Roku 2100x, (2) Roku2 3100x , Actiontec M1424-WR Rev I modem/router, Verizon FIOS 25/25, LG HDTV 42LH90, Pioneer VSX-920 Audio/Video Multi Channel Receiver
ronfelder

Postby kc8pql » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:46 am

The use of HDMI has no bearing whatsoever on aspect ratio...

The OP's question was about the Roku3, which has HDMI connection only and is marketed and labeled for HDTVs only,
so you could expect that it couldn't do 4:3, and it doesn't.
The other current Roku models will do 4:3 over HDMI.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql

Postby johninFL » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:44 am

kc8pql wrote:The OP's question was about the Roku3, which has HDMI connection only and is marketed and labeled for HDTVs only,

I understand what you're saying,but to deny the ability to support 4x3(1.33:1) isn't an improvement,and there's no reason to expect that it(R3) shouldn't/wouldn't do 4x3 just because it's for HDTV's only. I have a 16x9 HDTV but i watch a lot of movies with an AR of 1.33:1/1.37:1 and i want to watch them in their correct AR, not stretched to fill the screen,making people and objects fat,and i think most everybody would want to see their movie in the correct AR.
Look at all the free and pay movie channels on Roku and notice how many of the movies that were shot in the 4x3 format.Are we now expected to abandon those movies because they're not 1.78:1(16x9), 2.35:1 or some other WS AR?? Apparently Roku believes we should.
Many of the best movies ever made were shot in 1.33:1/1.37:1 and i for one will not abandon them or watch them in some incorrect AR just because somebody somewhere thinks they're out of date and won't support them in the correct AR.
Last edited by johninFL on Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
johninFL

Postby gonzotek » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:52 am

johninFL wrote:
kc8pql wrote:The OP's question was about the Roku3, which has HDMI connection only and is marketed and labeled for HDTVs only,

I understand what you're saying,but to deny the ability to support 4x3(1.33:1) isn't an improvement,and there's no reason to expect that it(R3) shouldn't/wouldn't do 4x3 just because it's for HDTV's only. I have a 16x9 HDTV but i watch a lot of movies with an AR of 1.33:1 and i want to watch them in their correct AR, not stretched to fill the screen,making people and objects fat,and i think most everybody would want to see their movie in the correct AR.
Look at all the free and pay movie channels on Roku and notice how many of the movies that were shot in the 4x3 format.Are we now expected to abandon those movies because they're not 1.78:1(16x9), 2.35:1 or some other WS AR?? Apparently Roku believes we should.

That's an incorrect understanding of the issue. All of the 4:3 (as well as other aspects) content appears in the correct aspect on my 16:9 tv attached to the Roku 3 via HDMI. The Roku3 will correctly letterbox/pillarbox content, as needed, to show it on a 16:9 display. The problem the OP has is that his projector accepts HDMI (or possibly he is using an intermediary device to convert the HDMI output of the Roku to another connection type) and that projector does not have a 16:9 mode. The Roku 3 can't be set to output at a 4:3 ratio. So it outputs at 16:9, and the projector interprets the incoming signal the only way it knows how, and fills the 4:3 screen area with the 16:9 content, thereby making everything taller and skinnier in appearance.
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com
gonzotek

Postby kc8pql » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:53 am

Look at all the free and pay movie channels on Roku and notice how many of the movies that were shot in the 4x3 format.Are we now expected to abandon those movies because they're not 1.78:1(16x9), 2.35:1 or some other WS AR??

No, they just get pillared or letterboxed. I doubt many people are going into settings to change from 16:9, 720p or 1080p to 4:3 every time they watch an old movie or TV show.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql

Postby ronfelder » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:55 am

I watch classic movies on my HDTV in the classic 1:33 aspect tatoo and the picture is neither stretched or compressed.my TV is set to set based on input and all is normal.
ronfelder

Postby johninFL » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:57 am

gonzotek wrote:That's an incorrect understanding of the issue. The Roku3 will correctly letterbox/pillarbox content, as needed.......

Excuse me,my bad,i stand corrected. :oops:
johninFL

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion