Computer -> Roku -> TV

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Computer -> Roku -> TV

Postby ceehan » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:22 am

I'm not sure if this was covered before.

I know that Roku can stream media from my PC to my TV through certain apps. However, can I operate my PC on my TV remotely through Roku (essentially using my TV as a monitor for my PC through Roku).

Thank you.
ceehan
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:54 am

Re: Computer -> Roku -> TV

Postby gonzotek » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:25 am

No, there's currently no known effective way to do this through Roku.
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com
User avatar
gonzotek
** Valued Community Member **
 
Posts: 2207
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 12:40 pm

Re: Computer -> Roku -> TV

Postby ceehan » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:30 am

That's sad.

Thanks though. :D
ceehan
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:54 am

Re: Computer -> Roku -> TV

Postby gonzotek » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:34 am

ceehan wrote:That's sad.

Thanks though. :D

I've played with the idea a bit. I have proof-of-concept code (not at all ready for public consumption) that can broadcast intermittent screenshots to the Roku, but the more the sampling rate (FPS) is cranked up, the more the host pc is bogged down, plus the Roku can only make so many requests per second. I haven't tried to push it to the max, but it's certain there would be both a noticeable delay before the content would arrive(making the interaction between screen updates and user input frustrating), and that many frames would be missing (framedrop) with the method I was trying. There's more than one way to go about it, and it's still something I'd like to play with, but my development free time is very constrained :(.
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com
User avatar
gonzotek
** Valued Community Member **
 
Posts: 2207
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 12:40 pm

Re: Computer -> Roku -> TV

Postby ceehan » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:58 am

That would be awesome. Hopefully there can be some kind of solution soon.
ceehan
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:54 am

Re: Computer -> Roku -> TV

Postby blaze92 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:54 am

Most modern laptops have an HDMI output which is way easier than a Roku channel in my opinion. <The entropy of a perfect crystal, at absolute zero kelvin, is exactly equal to zero. - Third Law of Thermodynamics>, my laptop from 2006 has video out as well…
blaze92
 
Posts: 107
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:25 pm

Re: Computer -> Roku -> TV

Postby mikebdoss » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:18 am

blaze92 wrote:Most modern laptops have an HDMI output which is way easier than a Roku channel in my opinion. <The entropy of a perfect crystal, at absolute zero kelvin, is exactly equal to zero. - Third Law of Thermodynamics>, my laptop from 2006 has video out as well…


Absolutely the best way to go. Some TVs still have monitor inputs as well. There were a lot of features I wanted my Roku to do, but sometimes going the direct route saves time and frustration.
mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **
 
Posts: 3454
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:52 am

Re: Computer -> Roku -> TV

Postby gonzotek » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:20 am

mikebdoss wrote:
blaze92 wrote:Most modern laptops have an HDMI output which is way easier than a Roku channel in my opinion. <The entropy of a perfect crystal, at absolute zero kelvin, is exactly equal to zero. - Third Law of Thermodynamics>, my laptop from 2006 has video out as well…


Absolutely the best way to go. Some TVs still have monitor inputs as well. There were a lot of features I wanted my Roku to do, but sometimes going the direct route saves time and frustration.
Absolutely agree. I just like playing with the idea of doing it over the network. More for the fun of it then any practical reason.
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com
User avatar
gonzotek
** Valued Community Member **
 
Posts: 2207
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 12:40 pm

Re: Computer -> Roku -> TV

Postby RickRansom » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:35 pm

gonzotek wrote:I just like playing with the idea of doing it over the network. More for the fun of it then any practical reason.

Same here. If/when you find a way to do it, do post it. I'll be interested to see how it works and would be willing to test it with my system. :mrgreen:
Retired
User avatar
RickRansom
 
Posts: 2156
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:23 pm
Location: PH


Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: RMT25, thetick and 34 guests