Can I use a UK Roku in the USA?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Can I use a UK Roku in the USA?

Postby wuthering » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:44 am

I did a quick search for this, but it seemed to be all VPN and APV or whatever, and I'm not even remotely tech oriented, so...

I bought a Roku LT in the UK, it's all set up and working fine (usually) for UK. We're going to the US this summer, and want to bring our Roku.

1. Will the UK box work on US TVs?
2. I have access to a US Netflix account and a UK Netflix account, and the latter is registered on the UK Roku. Will I be able to log in to my US-based Netflix account too (or instead of), and can I then switch it back when we come back to the UK?
3. NHL Gamecenter is registered to my UK box and address, so will I be able to watch any Gamecenter on the Roku in the US (I don't mean blackouts, that's going to be annoying in and of itself!)

Thanks everyone.
wuthering

Re: Can I use a UK Roku in the USA?

Postby philsoft » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:39 am

wuthering wrote:I did a quick search for this, but it seemed to be all ~~~~ or whatever, and I'm not even remotely tech oriented, so...

I bought a Roku LT in the UK, it's all set up and working fine (usually) for UK. We're going to the US this summer, and want to bring our Roku.

1. Will the UK box work on US TVs?
2. I have access to a US Netflix account and a UK Netflix account, and the latter is registered on the UK Roku. Will I be able to log in to my US-based Netflix account too (or instead of), and can I then switch it back when we come back to the UK?
3. NHL Gamecenter is registered to my UK box and address, so will I be able to watch any Gamecenter on the Roku in the US (I don't mean blackouts, that's going to be annoying in and of itself!)

Thanks everyone.

It is not advised because you can have unexpected problems.
philsoft
** Valued Community Member **

Postby wuthering » Wed May 01, 2013 12:25 am

Like what kind of problems? The TV gets up and runs out of the room, because that would be unexpected.

Really, what kind of problems are you talking about? I think a little more info might be warranted here.

Thanks.
wuthering

Postby Dick Drivel » Wed May 01, 2013 2:26 am

It seems to be official forum policy to suggest that some great problem exists here, when in fact, I think they just want you to buy a separate US model. Either way, in theory you would not be able to access UK apps such as the BBC iPlayer in the US without using 'extracurricular' IP-tweaking methods, the discussion of which is strictly banned here...
Dick Drivel

Postby dwanthny » Wed May 01, 2013 3:53 am

Dick Drivel wrote:It seems to be official forum policy to suggest that some great problem exists here, when in fact, I think they just want you to buy a separate US model.

The reason folks warn about issues is because early on some Roku 2 models were bought in the US by some folks in the UK and they had all sorts of problems, possibly in regards to updating the firmware. Roku customer service had to get their serial numbers and had to do work behind the scenes to get these folks functioning again. That was over a year ago, whether Roku still sets things up to the point that issues like those will still pop up is anyone's guess.

@wuthering I would bring the Roku with you and give it a try it's small and doesn't take up much room.
:idea: 20GB of Free CLOUD STORAGE: For a limited time you can use this link https://copy.com?r=lB3oTH to sign up for a free 15GB Copy.com account and we both get an extra 5GB of free space.
dwanthny

Postby philsoft » Wed May 01, 2013 6:24 am

Dick Drivel wrote:It seems to be official forum policy to suggest that some great problem exists here, when in fact, I think they just want you to buy a separate US model. Either way, in theory you would not be able to access UK apps such as the BBC iPlayer in the US without using 'extracurricular' IP-tweaking methods, the discussion of which is strictly banned here...

Shawn (and I believe another Mod) has specifically stated that Roku advises purchasing the unit in the region where it will be used, BECAUSE we have SEEN previous problems. Ask Castalla how it worked out for him. He tried this and quickly regretted it.
philsoft

Postby Gilgamesh » Wed May 01, 2013 6:39 am

philsoft wrote:Shawn (and I believe another Mod) has specifically stated that Roku advises purchasing the unit in the region where it will be used, BECAUSE we have SEEN previous problems. Ask Castalla how it worked out for him. He tried this and quickly regretted it.

Actually I believe Castalla was trying it the other way around, USA Roku in the UK, but the principal remains the same. There are some differences in the software that can cause problems to manifest that otherwise would not.

You can pack up the Roku and bring it with you but be aware there may be problems and, even if you get it working correctly in the US, there could be problems when returning to the UK.
Gilgamesh

Postby Basil » Wed May 01, 2013 8:03 am

wuthering wrote:1. Will the UK box work on US TVs?

Based on what I read, you'll be able to power it up and output content to a US TV. What's not addressed is how much of the content you'll actually be able to get, since you'd be using a UK-region box in the US region, something that Roku doesn't support.
wuthering wrote:2. I have access to a US Netflix account and a UK Netflix account, and the latter is registered on the UK Roku. Will I be able to log in to my US-based Netflix account too (or instead of), and can I then switch it back when we come back to the UK?

I'm not certain that there's a different Netflix app for UK and US boxes. Assuming not, simply log out of one account and log into the other. You can do that all day long without issue. Again, the caveat about UK-region box in the US region applies.
wuthering wrote:3. NHL Gamecenter is registered to my UK box and address, so will I be able to watch any Gamecenter on the Roku in the US (I don't mean blackouts, that's going to be annoying in and of itself!)

Unable to address anything regarding hockey.

Now, what the others were trying to warn you about -- and feel free to ignore their warnings but don't come back bitching about problems -- is the fact that the firmware is different. And, some apps may react different. Since most of us don't actually do such things, we can't tell you from personal experience what'll happen when you take a box from one region into another. An in-depth search (painful, yes) of the forum will get you bits and pieces.

They say unexpected because if they knew exactly what would happen, it would be expected, and therefore, not unexpected. (Re-read about most of us don't take Roku boxes to other regions.) I'm aware of issues because others have had issues and reported that. Details are sketchy for the most part, other than the UK user mentioned (who was doing the opposite, US to UK, but the general concept is the same). PM that user and ask for assistance.

I can't add much more than that, other than what I've done: tell you what I remember about what I read. If you'd rather wait for someone with personal experience to respond, that's understandable, but might be a long wait. (Re-read the part about very few people doing this.)
Basil
http://www.basilsblog.com/
http://www.imao.us/
Roku 3, Roku 1, Roku LT; previous Roku HDMI Streaming Stick, Roku 2 XS, Roku 2 XD, Roku 2 HD, Roku XD|S, Roku HD
Also running Apple TV, TiVo/OTA, Simple.TV/OTA, Chromecast, Amazon Fire TV
Basil

Postby castalla » Wed May 01, 2013 8:24 am

I'll save the hassle of a PM.

No idea how it'll work - I had an issue when the firmware was updated and lost function with BBC iPlayer. I think it required a special firmware update.

Maybe the box will get screwed if there's a firmware update while it's used via a US IP address.

Who knows?
castalla

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion