multiple accounts- one roku

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Re: multiple accounts- one roku

Postby jeffrok » Mon May 13, 2013 6:33 am

tobarefeet wrote:
jeffrok wrote:If the Roku had more internal storage, I think it'd be a great idea.. But I also agree with Gilgamesh that the typical user (ie 90% of all users) would not ever use the feature.

My Roku 3 can hold at least 250 channels. My Roku 2 XD almost as much. I don't understand where this idea is that creating a simple change user function would bloat your storage. That is simply not true.

You're probably right.. Didn't think of that.. Back to the "How many people would actually use it?" question.. I would offer the option to my fiance, but I don't think she would care much. I can't think of too many couples/families that would actually need the function. I know if I had younger kids I wouldn't even let them control the TV, and if they were older kids, I'd just buy them a Roku for their bedroom(s)..
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koy2eg1ioZ8&list=HL1380998604&feature=mh_lolz
jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Postby tobarefeet » Mon May 13, 2013 6:49 am

jeffrok wrote:
tobarefeet wrote:
jeffrok wrote:If the Roku had more internal storage, I think it'd be a great idea.. But I also agree with Gilgamesh that the typical user (ie 90% of all users) would not ever use the feature.

My Roku 3 can hold at least 250 channels. My Roku 2 XD almost as much. I don't understand where this idea is that creating a simple change user function would bloat your storage. That is simply not true.

You're probably right.. Didn't think of that.. Back to the "How many people would actually use it?" question.. I would offer the option to my fiance, but I don't think she would care much. I can't think of too many couples/families that would actually need the function. I know if I had younger kids I wouldn't even let them control the TV, and if they were older kids, I'd just buy them a Roku for their bedroom(s)..

I can see that point. There are many (well, some at least) who don't want their kids having TV's in their bedrooms. I have more than a few friends that have that rule. The only reason that I personally would like it is because my wife and I have very different Netflix tastes and it becomes an issue when the queue and suggestions get blurred. I say if it doesn't unduly suck up resources and it is streamlined as a simple user name/pin number issue what's the big deal.
I reject when people say 90 percent of users wouldn't use it. They cant possibly know that and are just making up numbers to fit their argument, which doesn't benefit the discussion.
I don't believe initially a lot of people would use it, but I think over time more people would as new channels and new features get added to future Roku's.
Games are becoming bigger and promise to become more involved.

Why not let your kid have a sign in and they can have access to 100 games and you don't have to scroll through those games to get to your channels.
tobarefeet

Postby dwanthny » Mon May 13, 2013 7:01 am

tobarefeet wrote:I can see that point. There are many (well, some at least) who don't want their kids having TV's in their bedrooms. I have more than a few friends that have that rule.

None of my kids ever had a TV in their room. I did make the mistake of allowing my oldest son the internet in his room. Everything was easily monitored, but it removed him physically from the family. My youngest boy doesn't watch TV. Everything is online for him. But the computer is in the family room so he doesn't get lost.

tobarefeet wrote:Why not let your kid have a sign in and they can have access to 100 games and you don't have to scroll through those games to get to your channels.

Excellent example of a good use case.

I think the option is a good idea, but I would not use it since my last kid at home would rarely ever do casual gaming and he's old enough not to restrict other access.

If you want it considered you should add it to the feature request sticky post at the top of the forum.
:idea: 20GB of Free CLOUD STORAGE: For a limited time you can use this link https://copy.com?r=lB3oTH to sign up for a free 15GB Copy.com account and we both get an extra 5GB of free space.
dwanthny

Postby Basil » Mon May 13, 2013 7:01 am

tobarefeet wrote:It's 2013. It's not that hard. When my wife and I use a shared laptop and we want to access our indvidual Netflix accounts it's a log off and log on. You guys are overcomplicating how hard the process is. Roku isn't that fragile that it would be difficult.

You log off one Netflix account and log on to another? Do that with a Roku remote. And with kids.
Basil
http://www.basilsblog.com/
http://www.imao.us/
Roku 3, Roku LT, Roku HDMI Streaming Stick; previous: Roku 1, Roku 2 XS, Roku 2 XD, Roku 2 HD, Roku XD|S, Roku HD
Also running Apple TV, TiVo/OTA, Chromecast; Previous: Simple.TV/OTA, Amazon Fire TV
Basil

Postby jeffrok » Mon May 13, 2013 7:28 am

tobarefeet wrote:I can see that point. There are many (well, some at least) who don't want their kids having TV's in their bedrooms. I have more than a few friends that have that rule. The only reason that I personally would like it is because my wife and I have very different Netflix tastes and it becomes an issue when the queue and suggestions get blurred. I say if it doesn't unduly suck up resources and it is streamlined as a simple user name/pin number issue what's the big deal.
I reject when people say 90 percent of users wouldn't use it. They cant possibly know that and are just making up numbers to fit their argument, which doesn't benefit the discussion.
I don't believe initially a lot of people would use it, but I think over time more people would as new channels and new features get added to future Roku's.
Games are becoming bigger and promise to become more involved.

Why not let your kid have a sign in and they can have access to 100 games and you don't have to scroll through those games to get to your channels.

Roku is still a "small" company with a limited number of programmers. I'm sure they're already working on the Roku 4 (and maybe thinking about the Roku 5).. I don't think they're going to add a major feature like "profiles" (or whatever you want to call it) to their current boxes. More features, more bugs to kill. I just don't see it happening.

Kids play consoles, not Roku's :lol: ..It's my opinion that the games on the Roku were designed with the 20+ year old in mind.. One who's too busy to spend 2 hours a game playing a game, but has time for a 15-20 session here or there.. Much like a Wii or a casual game on a mobile phone.

I agree with whoever said teenagers with internet in their room is a bad idea (as a former "teenaged chat room addict" I know how bad it can be), but letting an older teenager (15-17 y/o) have a TV/Roku as long as they don't abuse it isn't bad.

Anyway,
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koy2eg1ioZ8&list=HL1380998604&feature=mh_lolz
jeffrok

Postby dwanthny » Mon May 13, 2013 7:42 am

jeffrok wrote:Roku is still a "small" company with a limited number of programmers. I'm sure they're already working on the Roku 4 (and maybe thinking about the Roku 5).. I don't think they're going to add a major feature like "profiles" (or whatever you want to call it) to their current boxes. More features, more bugs to kill. I just don't see it happening.

Very true, Feature requests need to be made before they get implemented.

jeffrok wrote:I agree with whoever said teenagers with internet in their room is a bad idea (as a former "teenaged chat room addict" I know how bad it can be), but letting an older teenager (15-17 y/o) have a TV/Roku as long as they don't abuse it isn't bad.

I monitored everything my son did on his machine including all chats. I never told him but the fact that online gaming removed him from the family to his room was a detriment.

None of my kids have ever desired or asked for a TV in their room. Watching TV just isn't in their dna. I did get them all an Ereader, they each got more use out of those ereaders then they ever would have got out of a TV.

My middle child was a girl sandwiched between two boys. She was more concerned with over taking the top spot in the school than TV, yet she watched more TV than either boy. She did succeed and was valedictorian of her high school.
:idea: 20GB of Free CLOUD STORAGE: For a limited time you can use this link https://copy.com?r=lB3oTH to sign up for a free 15GB Copy.com account and we both get an extra 5GB of free space.
dwanthny

Postby RickRansom » Mon May 13, 2013 10:02 am

Not sure how this would work if a single device is registered to two accounts from the same service [i.e. have a Roku player simultaneously linked to multiple Netflix accounts, etc.].

Could be a non-issue but just saying.
Retired
RickRansom

Postby tobarefeet » Mon May 13, 2013 10:24 am

beq wrote:So I'm thinking of 3 scenarios:

1) PIN/password on some channels. Could be one global PIN in system settings (ie. Channel Store PIN), then each channel could optionally be designated as 'locked' so as to require the PIN at launch. Or each channel could have an individual PIN. Regardless, all channels show up on the home screen.

2) Multiple user profiles under one Roku account (like what Netflix is presumably working on). Each profile would have its own channel list home screen. The master profile can access the complete channel list, and can assign each channel to one or more profiles. For example Netflix can be assigned to all profiles (Husband, Wife, Child), but PBS Kids can be assigned to only the Child profile. In this scenario, there's only one copy of each channel and one configuration. Once Netflix is logged in to a subscription account (under any profile), it runs the same way under all profiles and won't need to be logged in again. And paid channels (or subscription channels via Roku billing) only need to be purchased once for the account, not per profile.

3) Completely separate accounts that the Roku would be able to easily swap in and out of. So each account would have a separate copy of Netflix, which can be logged in to different subscription accounts (or the same subscription, your choice). But that also means that you have to purchase paid channels multiple times if you want them on multiple accounts. And you have to completely set up each channel under each account (so you have to load the Husband account and set up Netflix, then load Wife account and set up Netflix again, and ditto for Child account).

There ya go, Roku. Something within here works.
tobarefeet

Previous

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion