Twonky not detecting Roku

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Twonky not detecting Roku

Postby wklorenz » Sun May 12, 2013 1:20 pm

I have a love/hate relationship with Twonky, Roku and my smartphones in the house.
When It works it works pretty good, a little cumbersome, but works.
When It doesn't want to work I really hate it.
The main problem I'm having is that it doesn't always see my Roku. If I exit Twonky a few times and then restart then maybe it will see it and work. Sometimes it sees it and still doesn't work. I tried contacting Twonky but it's like trying to talk to someone on Mars.
Why can't they fix it?
Why does Roku allow sub-standard apps?
Why don't they test more?
wklorenz

Re: Twonky not detecting Roku

Postby philsoft » Sun May 12, 2013 1:35 pm

wklorenz wrote:Why does Roku allow sub-standard apps?

Yes that is what is going on. It couldn't possibly be your router or anything else in your network that is at issue. That is why the forum is so loaded with complaints about Twonky.
philsoft
** Valued Community Member **

Postby Gilgamesh » Sun May 12, 2013 1:54 pm

I do not think Roku tests the channels except to verity basic operation and that they do not appear to violate the TOS.

Full testing and maintenance is up to the developer, in this case PacketVideo, to address any and all problems. If you are having problems you need to contact them.

I am sure that when Roku sees this they will pass it along to the developer but it is better to go to the developer directly as they can actually do something Roku just can act as a middle man. Filtering requests through a third party is almost always a poor way to deal with problems.
Gilgamesh

Postby meandme » Sun May 12, 2013 9:45 pm

I tried twonky on the other Roku box in the house, on the android app. It didn't show the roku at all. I tried for about 3 mins and haven't messed with it since. I was in a hurry and haven't remembered to try it again either.

I know how to do anything computer related, it just didn't want to work. I'll check back on it maybe t/m if I rememeber
meandme

Postby RokuJoel » Mon May 13, 2013 4:34 pm

I've passed on a link to this thread to the developer of Twonky.

- Joel
RokuJoel

Postby twdev » Tue May 14, 2013 7:56 am

Here are a few things to check when using Twonky Beam with Roku:

1) The mobile device running Twonky Beam and the Roku must be connected to the same WiFi network.

2) The Display Device list in Twonky Beam's right swipe out panel is an expandable list. Make sure it's not collapsed by clicking on the "Display Device" list header so that the full list of display devices is visible.

4) Twonky Beam discovers the Roku using SSDP as described in http://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc/ ... ryProtocol. So if for some reason your router is configured to disallow SSDP or multicast traffic, discovery of the Roku will fail. If that's the case, you'll need to change your router settings to permit SSDP and multicast.

5) Discovery of display devices can take a little while after Twonky Beam starts, usually 5-10 seconds.

6) There is a known issue with Twonky Beam running on some Samsung Galaxy S devices that can delay the appearance of Display Devices for 20-40 seconds after the app starts up. But the display devices should appear after that interval and remain in the list for as long as the app and Roku are both running.

If none of those seem to be the issue, it would be useful to know the following info so that it can be passed along to the Twonky Beam engineering team:

1) Roku model and firmware version
2) Mobile device type and OS version
3) Twonky Beam version
twdev

Postby jeffrok » Tue May 14, 2013 8:04 am

So far I've gotten Twonky to work on the two Roku's I've tested it on, and one of the Rokus is connected to my router through a wi-fi extender.. I didn't think this would work, but it did!

Make sure that your phone's wifi is always on, because obviously, the phone and the Roku need to be talking to one-another.

I do wish Twonky worked with more video content, but that may be a limitation put in place by the providers, or the Roku itself, I'm not technical enough to know for sure.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koy2eg1ioZ8&list=HL1380998604&feature=mh_lolz
jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Postby wosman » Wed May 22, 2013 3:14 pm

My Twonky worked flawlessly for weeks, but after the Roku 5.0 update it just downloaded today, the Roku no longer shows up in Twonky....anyone else have this issue?
wosman

Postby twdev » Fri May 24, 2013 8:13 am

wosman wrote:My Twonky worked flawlessly for weeks, but after the Roku 5.0 update it just downloaded today, the Roku no longer shows up in Twonky....anyone else have this issue?

I haven't seen this issue. Tried it with my Roku 2 XS (5.0 firmware, build 8043) and the following devices:

- Samsung Galaxy Nexus with Android 4.2.2 and Twonky Beam 3.4.2
- Apple iPAD with OS version 6.1.2 and Twonky Beam 3.4.2

The Roku is discovered when it's already running and then Twonky Beam is started, and also when the Roku is powered on after Twonky Beam is already running.

What setup do you have (Roku device type, phone/tablet device type and OS version, Twonky Beam version)?
twdev

Postby twdev » Fri May 24, 2013 11:02 am

>1) The mobile device running Twonky Beam and the Roku must be connected to the same WiFi network.

To expand upon this point a bit -- using a wired connection from your Roku to your WiFi router is not necessarily the same as having the Roku make a wireless connection to your WiFi router. Routers are often setup by default to disallow multicast traffic between wired and wireless network segments. If this is the case, your wireless device running Twonky Beam may not be able to discover your Roku.

So if you're using a wired Roku network connection and can't see the Roku in Twonky Beam, try switching the Roku to a wireless connection instead. Then restart Twonky Beam.

If the Roku now shows up, your router is blocking multicast between wired and wireless segments. One choice is to leave the Roku network config as wireless. Alternately, you can try to figure out how to get your router to allow the necessary multicast traffic. For my FIOS Actiontec router, messing with the IGMP proxy settings as described here worked:

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Inter ... 152/page/2
twdev

Postby jamonroe848 » Wed May 29, 2013 5:39 am

Hey guys. I am having similar trouble with the Twonky Roku channel. I have following systems, twonky versions, connections and router:

Roku - version 5.0 build 8043; twonky channel (from channel store) Version 1.0 build 20130313; wirelessly connected
iPad - iOS 6.1.3; twonky beam 3.4.2-36; wirelessly connected
PC - windows 7; twonky manager Version 3.1; directly connected
Router - Dynex wireless N router

The iPad and PC can see each other over the network and beaming is easy, but the neither the iPad or the PC can see the Roku. The router does not have options to limit IGMP, SSDP or multicast (I did RTFM), but I do not think this is the problem because the tablet and PC can see each other easily. I have also waited the allotted times suggested by twdev, but it is still not working. Does anyone have any other ideas why this might fix this? Thanks.
jamonroe848

Postby twdev » Wed May 29, 2013 3:38 pm

jamonroe848 wrote:Hey guys. I am having similar trouble with the Twonky Roku channel. I have following systems, twonky versions, connections and router:

Roku - version 5.0 build 8043; twonky channel (from channel store) Version 1.0 build 20130313; wirelessly connected
iPad - iOS 6.1.3; twonky beam 3.4.2-36; wirelessly connected
PC - windows 7; twonky manager Version 3.1; directly connected
Router - Dynex wireless N router

The iPad and PC can see each other over the network and beaming is easy, but the neither the iPad or the PC can see the Roku. The router does not have options to limit IGMP, SSDP or multicast (I did RTFM), but I do not think this is the problem because the tablet and PC can see each other easily. I have also waited the allotted times suggested by twdev, but it is still not working. Does anyone have any other ideas why this might fix this? Thanks.

Twonky Manager doesn't currently support Roku discovery. But Twonky Beam on iPad does, not sure what else could be causing that issue.
twdev

Postby grimmfarmer » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:50 pm

It would be especially nice if devs would concede that discovery protocols don't always work and allow for hardcoding the device IP...
grimmfarmer

Postby Gilgamesh » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:20 pm

grimmfarmer wrote:It would be especially nice if devs would concede that discovery protocols don't always work and allow for hardcoding the device IP...

Contact PacketVideo it is their channel. Roku only hosts channels Roku does not generally write or maintain them.
Gilgamesh

Postby FredNugent69 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:23 pm

My brother is visiting and he has a Samsung Galaxy 2 phone which had a low battery. We watched a few videos he selected before the power was near gone. But it was acting funny when the phone was low on juice and then the video stopped when it died. I'm not a tech wiz on this. Just relaying his, our experience.
ROKU 3 (Given away)
(2) ROKU 2 HD (the champ)
(2) ROKU 2 XS
ROKU 2 XD
SONY BLU-RAY BDP-S580
BRIGHTHOUSE MODEM/ROUTER BRIDGED WITH NETGEAR WNDR4500 (Router)
FredNugent69

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion