HBO GO Excruciatingly Slow

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Re: HBO GO Excruciatingly Slow

Postby cma3 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:30 pm

BobBreton wrote:We use CenturyLink DSL service and ROKU, HBOGO is next to impossible to use for the last few days, keeps buffering over and over again, NetFlix, HULU+, Crackle, AMAZON Prime all stream great but HBOGO buffers every 30 seconds

same here. CenturyLink DSL / HBOGO / Roku. There is an issue. Still....
cma3

Postby dsfluchel » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:42 am

cma3 wrote:i'm surprised more people are not chiming in on this. There is absolutely a problem here. All my devices (3 ipads, 2 iphones, 1 air, 1 macbook pro, 1 desktop) stream HBOGO without a hitch from the same network ...except any of my rokus. I have 3 rokus (roku HD, roku2 XD and Roku 2 XS). I've tried all known workarounds (reinstalling app, DNS, bouncing roku, reseting router, etc) Nothing fixes this and each time a fix was attempted a test was made on other devices... all other devices worked perfectly.

There is something going on here with the Roku/HBOGO combo.

My life with HBOGo on Roku can be summarized like this:

Loading, please wait
______

quality ****

I apologize in advance for my lack of understanding about networking, but cma3 describes my problems and frustration exactly.

I have 30 mbps cable modem connection. My speedtest checks confirm that. I can watch HBO Go fine on iPad. I can watch Netflix fine on Roku XD/S. When I try to stream anything HBO Go on Roku, it takes forever to load and stops every few minutes to reload. Usually, it is only 2 or 3 dots on the quality meter also.

I think the best theory is that there is some problem between Roku and HBO in how they compress the content or communicate. If I can isolate the combination of Roku + HBO Go as the only issue, is there something else that could be causing it?

Really curious if ANYONE has had luck improving the HBO Go experience on the Roku. My frustration hit an all time high last night when I loaded, and reloaded, and reloaded Game of Thrones for 45 minutes and was still watching Jaime Lannister flop around in the mud during the opening scene.
dsfluchel

Postby Donnieh » Wed May 01, 2013 6:09 am

Centurylink + HBO GO + Roku = FAIL

I have a Roku 3 and HBO GO does not work properly at night. My kindle fire, my iphone, and my PC running a 1080P stream works flawlessly. Roku and HBO GO works OK during the day. After 6:00 pm at night completely unusable. Hulu+, Netflix, Crackle, Revision3 all work perfectly.

I have done everything to try and fix the problem. From decreasing bit rates, to changing dns on my router, to powering on and off my roku and router, to uninstalling and reinstalling the HB GO channel.

The issue is with Roku and HBO GO. Any Help?
Donnieh

Postby Gilgamesh » Wed May 01, 2013 6:33 am

Donnieh wrote:...My kindle fire, my iphone, and my PC running a 1080P stream works flawlessly. Roku and HBO GO works OK during the day. After 6:00 pm at night completely unusable...

Those are totally meaningless comparisons. Almost certainly those other devices are using different streams from, probably, different servers in different locations.

The fact that it worsens in the evening points strongly to congestion somewhere in the route to the servers or even at the servers themselves.

I know you have tried a different DNS but try these one at a time and reboot your router after each change: OpenDNS ( 208.67.222.222 ), Open DNS secondary ( 208.67.220.220 ), Google DNS ( 8.8.8.8 ), Google DNS secondary ( 8.8.4.4 ) or Level3 DNS ( 4.2.2.2 ). I use Google DNS secondary ( 8.8.4.4 ) and rarely have problems.

You only need to change the primary DNS in your router as Roku does not ever use the other entries,

It is possible that the congestion is not fixable by anything you can do and it is due to something in the infrastructure that is only fixable by the owner of that piece of hardware/software in the, possible, bad route.
Gilgamesh

Postby Dcurtis69 » Sat May 18, 2013 1:24 pm

A new HBOGO app was just released. May 19th I tjink. Greatly improved my Roku 2 performance.
Dcurtis69

Postby Dcurtis69 » Fri May 24, 2013 12:02 am

Appears I was. Bit premature. Yet another release for Roku 2. The GUI change. Seemed to have improved slightly HBO performance, if it had anything to do with it at all. Still very much sub par.
Dcurtis69

Postby PopularOutcast » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:31 pm

I have the same problem with a twist.

My mother and I live in two different cities in Florida. When she visits, she uses HBOGO on my Roku. Up until she switched pay TV providers, HBOGO worked fine at my home (my Internet provider has not changed in that time).

So four weeks ago HBOGO works spectacularly on my Roku. There is almost no delay and rarely does it buffer. Four weeks ago my mother had Dish Network.

This past week my mother switched to CenturyLink Prism as her pay TV provider. She has the same channels. I go through the process of setting up her accounts and getting HBOGO to work on the Roku. I immediately start having problems where a movie takes more than 10 minutes to start playing. The first day I just turned everything off and thought that perhaps the problem was old caching. I tried again today. I tried to start a movie. I was able to go out and dig up some sweet potatoes, wash them, and stick them in the oven before the movie started. The movie played for maybe 10 minutes before it started a long buffer. It's a popular movie so I thought maybe the problem was the many people watching the movie.

I decide to try the pilot episode of one of their series. It's not a hot ticket item right now so it should stream fine. No, it took me about 1.5 hours to watch a .5 hour show.

What I get from this is that HBOGO is not centralized but depends on the Internet/payTV providers to stream their content for them and that CenturyLink does a horrible job.

I pay for Hulu and Amazon Prime and I have no trouble watching anything. There was no slow down when HBOGO was watched when it was authenticated through Dish. Again this points at a problem with CenturyLink and not specifically Roku but I am not sure how to address it as I do not have an account with them. Any suggestions? When my mom visits, she likes to watch the movies on HBO to fall asleep.
PopularOutcast

Postby knuckle » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:18 am

Hi,

if you go to the prism websie on your puter and sign in with your mom's account info does it make a difference? am wondering if the buffering and so forth is an IP check protocol
ROKU 1 XD J0A113014862
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
Roku TV
all running wireless on a actiontec C2000A
knuckle
** Valued Community Member **

Postby Spck_Rku_99 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:50 am

I was having the same issue & contacted HBO Go support. Here's the response I got & this seems to have worked for me -

Hello,

Thank you for your email. We apologize for the inconvenience; we are aware of intermittent video playback issues on Roku. Our team is currently working with Roku to investigate the issue and hopes to have it resolved soon.

If you are experiencing video playback issues we suggest deactivating and reactivating the HBO GO application and confirming your connection speed.

Please follow the below:
1. Remove the HBO GO application from the device
2. Restart the device by disconnecting and reconnecting the power supply
3. Install available Roku software updates
4. Reactivate the HBO GO application
5. Test video playback using a hard wired connection
6. Confirm your connection speed, go to http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest
7. Test video playback at multiple points of the day (morning, afternoon, evening)

If you are experiencing intermittent video playback issues a slow or inconsistent network connection could be the cause. HBO GO requires a very solid internet connection while streaming video. HBO GO will adjust video quality based on the strength of your network connection. We suggest contacting your internet service provider if you continue to experience video playback issues.

Thank you,
The HBO GO Team
Spck_Rku_99

Postby cma3 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:56 am

Oh HBO and your rigmarole.

Just fix it.

its 2014.

Update on my situation (please refer to all my past posts in this thread): Completely stopped trying to view HBO via Roku. It works everywhere else.
cma3

Postby dthoms » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:22 pm

For what it's worth, i wanted to pass along my frustrations as well with utilizing the HBO Go app on Roku. Just recently bought a Roku 3 and have loved it until i wanted to utilize it for HBO on a tv that doesn't have a cable box hooked up. I've been going back and forth with Mediacom thinking my cable internet was the issue but after testing Netflix last night (which worked perfectly) while i couldn't get a movie with "2 dot quality" to stay playing for longer that 30 seconds, i'm beginning to think it's HBO and Roku. Would LOVE to hear from others if they're experiencing this issue still or if they've come across a fix of sorts. As an aside, each time the cable guy has been to my house during the day, i've fired up the Roku and then streamed an HD movie with no problem. Get past 5pm and it goes to heck. Hate to fault Roku but I would really be pleased if i could utilize all the channels as they're intended.
dthoms

Postby kc8pql » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:32 pm

As an aside, each time the cable guy has been to my house during the day, i've fired up the Roku and then streamed an HD movie with no problem. Get past 5pm and it goes to heck.

That pretty much explains what's going on, HBO GO network congestion in prime time.

Your connection to any given server may pass through 10 or even 20 different computers, most of which aren't controlled by your ISP.
Any delay anywhere along that path can cause problems. Channels provide their own CDN, so it's quite possible for the path to one channel server to have problems while others work perfectly.
It's just the internet. Things aren't perfect all the time.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql

Postby modehead » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:56 pm

I'm in the same boat. AT&T U-Verse connection. HBOGo has become useless. Even though I pay for HBO, I'm having to find non-official ways to watch their shows because of this. Netflix, etc work A-OK on my Roku. It's just HBOGo.
modehead

Postby modehead » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:09 am

That pretty much explains what's going on, HBO GO network congestion in prime time.

That's not the issue. This happens to me 24/7. I can load HBO Go on Chromecast just fine... Roku's app is dead in the water though. It worked fine until about 2 weeks ago.
modehead

Postby kc8pql » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:23 am

Chromcast is likely not be using the same streams or CDN. Comparing devices tells you nothing.
If you are having the problem 24/7, then it's not the same problem those above are having.
The first thing I'd do if other channels on the box are working OK is remove and re-install the HBO channel.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql

PreviousNext

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion