Seamless NAS Access from ROKU 3

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Seamless NAS Access from ROKU 3

Postby shashisastry » Thu May 16, 2013 11:41 pm

I have bought Roku 3 recently , however facing issues when trying to access media on my WD My Book Live NAS. Prior to getting roku 3, I was using my Android smartphone and wd2go which automatically connected to my home n/w even without starting my windows PC and was able to stream from the NAS to my phone. From there I used a micro HDMI to connect to my TV was able to access everything on my NAS. I expected Roku 3 will make this even simpler, however I do not see any channel that helps me access my WD NAs (a WD2go equivalent). The kind of channels available (MyMedia/ Phlex) needd to have my PC up and running the servers (currently on trial and need to be paid later). Is there some way I can access the NAS from ROKU 3 just like we can do seamlessly from android phone. Appreciate any help
shashisastry

Re: Seamless NAS Access from ROKU 3

Postby RickRansom » Fri May 17, 2013 6:41 am

Give Chaneru a try.
Retired
RickRansom

Postby kevinnoll » Fri May 17, 2013 1:54 pm

If you can run a web server on your NAS, then Roksbox is a nice solution, with the added benefit of not needing another pc/physical server.
kevinnoll

Postby shashisastry » Sat May 18, 2013 9:21 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions... it appears I need a PC up and running with either Plex, Twonky, MyMedia component to access my stuff on the NAS (WD MYBookLive) which simply is a overhead. As I am able to use wd2go on Android smartphone and connect the smartphone via HDMI to my TV , I can do the local streaming from NAS without my PC being up and running. So wile I have already bought a Roku3, I have decided to go for a cheap Android smartphone/tablet that has HDMI and leave that connected to my TVs. Any suggestions on similar devises - as only thing i will use the android devise is for wd2go and HDMI ?
Now , I need to figure out what to use my Roku for other than to watch some free channels.
shashisastry

Postby RickRansom » Sun May 19, 2013 5:26 am

Have you checked page 6 from the link I provided? It lists "MyBookLive" 7th most used server with his channel.
Retired
RickRansom

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion