does roku 3 work for this?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

does roku 3 work for this?

Postby bc320 » Sat May 25, 2013 6:28 am

I purchased a roku a while back and sold it because it would not stream from websites. My wife likes to watch shows on The CW, ABC, NBC, etc. With the old roku I could not stream the latest episodes. Now I have a micro-pc running XBMC. IT works ok but I use Windows 7 as an OS and it has issues with netflix (i.e. the interface sucks) so we use a wii for netflix. as you can imagine, with kids this can get a little cumbersome.

Here is what I want to do:
1) stream from Netflix (I see roku will do this)
2) Stream from various sites across the web. The CW, ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS, History channel, discovery channel, etc.
3) support web browsing to include HTML 5. Not nessecarly to surf the web, but to stream from other websites
4) I see it has some games, can it load/run emulators?
5) Does it support a webcam
6) I have an external HDD with a bunch of media on it
a) Can I attach this to the Roku and watch my movies and tv shows that are on it?
b) If I have the roku powered on, can I access the drive over my wifi network? Currently I do so in windows explorer via the address
c) Will the roku play media in AVI, MPG, MP3, MKV, MP4, JPEG, formats?
7) Will regular HULU work? NOT hulu plus.

Right now with XBMC I have the "Free Cable" repository installed. It collects 1000s of free shows from the internet into one list. For example, when the wife wants to watch Vampire Diaries she goes to the "Free Cable" add-on, goes to the network, goes to the show and all the episodes that are available on the website are listed. Will she be able to watch the latest episodes (usually available about a day or so after they air) on the Roku 3.
bc320

Re: does roku 3 work for this?

Postby Basil » Sat May 25, 2013 6:50 am

bc320 wrote:I purchased a roku a while back and sold it because it would not stream from websites. My wife likes to watch shows on The CW, ABC, NBC, etc. With the old roku I could not stream the latest episodes. Now I have a micro-pc running XBMC. IT works ok but I use Windows 7 as an OS and it has issues with netflix (i.e. the interface sucks) so we use a wii for netflix. as you can imagine, with kids this can get a little cumbersome.

2) Stream from various sites across the web. The CW, ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS, History channel, discovery channel, etc.
3) support web browsing to include HTML 5. Not nessecarly to surf the web, but to stream from other websites
a) Can I attach this to the Roku and watch my movies and tv shows that are on it?
b) If I have the roku powered on, can I access the drive over my wifi network? Currently I do so in windows explorer via the address

Right now with XBMC I have the "Free Cable" repository installed. It collects 1000s of free shows from the internet into one list. For example, when the wife wants to watch Vampire Diaries she goes to the "Free Cable" add-on, goes to the network, goes to the show and all the episodes that are available on the website are listed. Will she be able to watch the latest episodes (usually available about a day or so after they air) on the Roku 3.

1) Yep
2) Nope, not like you're thinking. You need a channel built to stream the content, and the content must be in the proper format.
3) Nope
4) Nope
5) Nope
6) Depends
a) Depends on the format. Go to this page and at the bottom, click on See Specs for the model in question.
b) Nope. It's a client, not a server.
c) See a)
7) Hulu terms of service (TOS) don't allow that. There is no "Hulu Free" for Roku or any device.
Basil
http://www.basilsblog.com/
http://www.imao.us/
Roku 3, Roku 1, Roku LT; previous Roku HDMI Streaming Stick, Roku 2 XS, Roku 2 XD, Roku 2 HD, Roku XD|S, Roku HD
Also running Apple TV, TiVo/OTA, Simple.TV/OTA, Chromecast, Amazon Fire TV
Basil
** Valued Community Member **

Postby mikebdoss » Sat May 25, 2013 9:05 am

For the things you want to do, you absolutely need a HTPC. There aren't any set-top boxes (Roku or otherwise) that will do even most of that, much less all.
mikebdoss

Postby BradC » Sun May 26, 2013 11:18 am

> I use Windows 7 as an OS and it has issues with netflix (i.e. the interface sucks)

are you using the web interface or the WMP interface?

I think the wmp interface is one of the better ones out there.
BradC

Postby Basil » Sun May 26, 2013 11:52 am

+1
Basil
http://www.basilsblog.com/
http://www.imao.us/
Roku 3, Roku 1, Roku LT; previous Roku HDMI Streaming Stick, Roku 2 XS, Roku 2 XD, Roku 2 HD, Roku XD|S, Roku HD
Also running Apple TV, TiVo/OTA, Simple.TV/OTA, Chromecast, Amazon Fire TV
Basil

Postby destruk » Sun May 26, 2013 1:17 pm

yeah, if you want the world, you need an htpc. If you want a tight little streamer that places over 300 sources of content directly on your tv, including options for feeding from your computer/USB or other sources with extra hardware, for less, that's where Roku comes in.
destruk

Postby kc8pql » Sun May 26, 2013 4:37 pm

over 300 sources of content

Make that over 800...
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql

Postby Gilgamesh » Sun May 26, 2013 5:12 pm

kc8pql wrote:
over 300 sources of content

Make that over 800...

Now you've done it. The rest of this thread will be dedicated to determining what is/is not "content" and/or "content worth watching."

And in the end it will be clear to all that I am right and everyone else is wrong or at least confused about what is right.
Gilgamesh

Postby destruk » Sun May 26, 2013 7:07 pm

You're right. :)
destruk

Postby wzwor » Mon May 27, 2013 3:40 am

You have a PM

bc320 wrote:I purchased a roku a while back and sold it because it would not stream from websites. My wife likes to watch shows on The CW, ABC, NBC, etc. With the old roku I could not stream the latest episodes. Now I have a micro-pc running XBMC. IT works ok but I use Windows 7 as an OS and it has issues with netflix (i.e. the interface sucks) so we use a wii for netflix. as you can imagine, with kids this can get a little cumbersome.

http://thebeersoncomcast.wordpress.com/
wzwor

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion