Best channel for animal shows

This is the place to discuss items not related to your Roku Streaming Player

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Best channel for animal shows

Postby Irishelf » Thu May 30, 2013 2:12 pm

I'm buying a Roku player soon. I looked on the site for channels, but I didn't see any specifically for shows about animals, either documentaries or entertainment. And unless you sign up for a trial with Hulu Plus or Netflix, you can't search for programming available. I love the old programming of Animal Planet (you know, when the shows were actually about animals not idiotic shows like hillbilly Handfishing). But does anyone know others that have educational animal shows (especially cats). The kinds of shows I like are Too Cute, Cats 101, Growing up...(a show on Animal Planet showing wild animals in the 1st year of life or so), Meerkat Manor, Nova, Nature, BBC nature shows (especially those that depict what life was like in the past or what life might be like in the future like Walking With Dinosaurs), Frozen Planet, Planet Earth, Disney's African Wildcats, etc. Are there any channels other than PBS and Smithsonian that has these types of shows? I don't mind paying for either Hulu Plus or Netflix if they offer any of these shows but I don't want to give them a credit card before I know for sure. Oh and has anyone seen Benji the Hunted on any of the channels? Anyone who has had a Roku for a while and point me in the right direction. Thanks!
Irishelf

Re: Best channel for animal shows

Postby jeffrok » Thu May 30, 2013 2:21 pm

I'd check here for Netflix's current titles:

http://instantwatcher.com/

(it's free).. They have have a lot of Nat Geo/TLC/Discovery type stuff.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koy2eg1ioZ8&list=HL1380998604&feature=mh_lolz
jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Postby Basil » Thu May 30, 2013 2:24 pm

Hulu Plus occasionally offers a 2-week trial. Normally, it's one week, but they're running an ad on the My Channels page for two weeks free. Also, any Hulu Plus subscriber can send you a link for a 2-week trial, if the ad special stops before your Roku arrives.

Netflix offers a one-month trial. That's their standard.

Your best bet for those channels is to sign up for the free trials.

Amazon Prime offers a one-month trial. That's their standard. However, you can browse Amazon Prime wihout a Prime account. Just look for the Prime inidicator on shows. You can also filter by "Prime" when browsing. Of course, non-Prime content is available for purchase.
Basil
http://www.basilsblog.com/
http://www.imao.us/
Roku 3, Roku HDMI Streaming Stick, Roku LT; previous Roku 2 XS, Roku 2 XD, Roku 2 HD, Roku XD|S, Roku HD
Also running Apple TV, TiVo/OTA, Simple.TV/OTA, Chromecast, Amazon Fire TV
Basil
** Valued Community Member **

Postby ACraigo » Thu May 30, 2013 4:11 pm

There are tons of animal shows. I watched one on the Smithsonian channel (free) about a poor cat that got ate by a combine and lost both it's back feet... not to worry... the doc fixed him up with pair of bionic jobs and he was off to the races.

My only problem with animal shows is all too soon one eats another one and the one that gets ate is usually cute and cuddly.

I know it happens, but I really don't need to see what had to happen to that burger I just put on the grill. Just let me enjoy it without all the bells and whistles.

On the other hand I just joined the 'Eat More Deer' society. I work at night and if I hit ANOTHER one with my car on the way home it's going in the trunk.

:)
Tony
Roku 2 HD
www.fishmojo.com
www.youtube.com/user/TheFishMojo
ACraigo

Postby BoloMKXXVIII » Fri May 31, 2013 3:30 am

ACraigo wrote:On the other hand I just joined the 'Eat More Deer' society. I work at night and if I hit ANOTHER one with my car on the way home it's going in the trunk.

:)

Dress it out as soon as possible. Also, if you rupture internal organs when you hit it just leave it alone.
The NSA is the largest criminal organization in the United States.

** Non-valued Community Member **
BoloMKXXVIII

Postby ACraigo » Fri May 31, 2013 4:20 am

I was just joking, but seriously you can't take a deer in that way legally, however at 3AM there's usually no fish and game personnel on the scene. I have known people to take the tenderloin and undamaged parts. I very nearly missed the one I hit, but it did signifigant damage to my headlights, hood and fender. Had I hit it squarely I could have been killed. Apparently it lived - at least for a little while because I couldn't find it and I did look carefully.

When I was a kid here in VA you were lucky to even see a white tailed deer, much less get to tag one out during hunting season. Conservation efforts and/or the natural cycle has now produced so many of them they are almost ready to declare them a nuisance species that would allow legal hunting for them year round.

They recently had a controlled hunt for them in Rock Creek Park and that is within the city limits of Washington, DC. Here are some details of that culling effort: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati ... n/2133647/

Just a little local deer trivia for our morning here on the Roku forum and this thread seems like the perfect place for it.

;)
Tony
Roku 2 HD
www.fishmojo.com
www.youtube.com/user/TheFishMojo
ACraigo

Postby BoloMKXXVIII » Fri May 31, 2013 5:52 am

I could use some back strap right about now.

Venison (bambi), its whats for dinner. :D
The NSA is the largest criminal organization in the United States.

** Non-valued Community Member **
BoloMKXXVIII

Postby nocable » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:50 am

Christmas Music + a 24/7 Reindeer Cam from the Como Park Zoo and Conservatory in St. Paul Minnesota, brought to you by the Animal Planet Channel.

http://www.apl.tv/reindeer.htm 8)

http://www.comozooconservatory.org/news/live-247-action-of-como-zoos-reindeer-is-just-a-click-away/
-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
ROKU 2 XS -- Model 3100 -- S/W Version 5.3 -- Build 3063
TWC STD 15 Mbps

Screensaver: Weather4us
Weather Channel: Weather Nation
nocable

Postby RickRansom » Wed Dec 25, 2013 4:07 pm

Dog Whisperer on the YouTube channel. Really love watching it alongside my APBT. :mrgreen:

Probably other shows too but this is what I enjoy watching for now.
Retired
RickRansom

Postby nocable » Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:41 pm

RickRansom wrote:Dog Whisperer on the YouTube channel. Really love watching it alongside my APBT. :mrgreen:

Probably other shows too but this is what I enjoy watching for now.

Rick, your Sig/Profile doesn't indiacte what Roku you are currently using.

I would assume that your are Roku 3 user ? ? ?

I'll have to wiat until next year to access You Tube on my Roku 2.

Although i can get You Tube through my Sony Blu-ray Player.
-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
ROKU 2 XS -- Model 3100 -- S/W Version 5.3 -- Build 3063
TWC STD 15 Mbps

Screensaver: Weather4us
Weather Channel: Weather Nation
nocable

Postby vnazario » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:16 pm

Hi:

8ctave channel has a linear Mutual of Omaha channel and PBS has Nature channel. Smithsonian, ONF NFB (Canandian), Docu and Docurama. I believe RT has a documentary channel. Snag Films and ADC also has FREE documentary content.

On rare occasions Wealth TV also broadcasts documentaries. Justin.TV sometimes has feeds of BBC/Nat Geo/Discovery shows. Youtube also has many full length episodes of some shows.

Good luck enjoying your new documentary and animal shows.
vnazario

(2) Roku2 XS,Roku 1(New),Logitech Revue Google TV,Raspberry Pi+XBMC,Mac Mini HTPC-EyeTV DVR+Rabbit TV+PLEX+XBMC,TiVo Premier,Wii,PS3,Sony Blu Ray w/ streaming apps,Equiso Android TV
Local TV: QAM from ISP coax line. PLEX+unsupported plug-ins.
vnazario

Return to Off Topic