Connecting to Surround Sound

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Connecting to Surround Sound

Postby excellence153 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:04 pm

Hello all!

I've done what I can with tutorials and guides, but I'm all tangled up at this point. Here's the equipment at hand:

- Roku 2 XD
- LG lcd television
- Samsung surround sound
- 1 HMDI cable
- 1 Optical cable

I'm getting a solid video feed from the HDMI cable connected from the Roku to the tv, but the audio is only 2-channel. I have the optical cable going from the tv to the Samsung receiver, but I don't think that's doing much except giving me the 2-channel audio. Is there a better way to do this? Or does it come down to needing a receiver with more HDMI ports? I'm not sure. I wish Roku had an optical port!

Thank you
excellence153

Re: Connecting to Surround Sound

Postby excellence153 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:16 pm

Also, the Roku surround sound setting page even says go HDMI from Roku to receiver... but then how do I get picture to my television?
excellence153

Postby wzwor » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:28 pm

I'm just guessing, because I am not familiar with your hardware, but try to plug the Roku's hdmi out into your tv and see if you can run the tv's optical out to your surround sound's optical in.
http://thebeersoncomcast.wordpress.com/
wzwor

Postby excellence153 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:32 pm

wzwor wrote:I'm just guessing, because I am not familiar with your hardware, but try to plug the Roku's hdmi out into your tv and see if you can run the tv's optical out to your surround sound's optical in.

That's what I'm already doing.
excellence153

Postby excellence153 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:28 pm

Also, can HBO GO be utilized on two different Roku devices from the same account?
excellence153

Postby trekkeriii » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:35 pm

You won't get Netflix 5.1 via optical at all, as it utilizes Dolby Digital Plus, which is HDMI only. Your TV may not have the ability to pass through standard Dolby Digital from HDMI in to Optical out, granted since you have an LG, I would be surprised by that. My LG does have that ability.
Roku2 XS, 42" LCD, Ethernet (5.5 b320)
Roku Stick HDMI, 32" LCD, WiFi (5.5 b2027)
Roku N1000, 25" CRT, Ethernet (3.1)
Router - Linksys WRT54G2
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
trekkeriii
** Valued Community Member **

Postby excellence153 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:25 pm

So, is the solution in the surround sound receiver? Do I need a box with more HDMI ports? I'm still very confused. Do I need to have an HDMI cable running from the TV to the receiver as well?
excellence153

Postby zm3sichi » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:55 pm

excellence153 wrote:So, is the solution in the surround sound receiver? Do I need a box with more HDMI ports? I'm still very confused. Do I need to have an HDMI cable running from the TV to the receiver as well?

See the last few posts in this thread. Your Samsung Surround Sound receiver (what model is it BTW?) should have several HDMI inputs, but it should also have at least one HDMI "output" as a pass thru for video. You'll need at least two HDMI cables. One goes from the Roku to one of the Samsung HDMI inputs. The other goes from the Samsung receiver's HDMI output and into your TV's HDMI input. Whichever HDMI input on the Samsung you choose should be the one you select when you are watching video from the Roku on your TV. For all other viewing (BD/DVD player, Cable STB, game boxes,etc.), the Samsung receiver input should from the TV via TOSlink cable. Remember to match the appropriate audio selection with the correct video selections.

With this setup, you should be able to play any Netflix content that is coded "5.1HD))" in the title description, and thus requiring DD+ or DTS-HD MA and, thus, needing an HDMI cable.

Hope this helps.
zm3sichi

Postby excellence153 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:33 am

zm3sichi wrote:
excellence153 wrote:So, is the solution in the surround sound receiver? Do I need a box with more HDMI ports? I'm still very confused. Do I need to have an HDMI cable running from the TV to the receiver as well?

See the last few posts in this thread. Your Samsung Surround Sound receiver (what model is it BTW?) should have several HDMI inputs, but it should also have at least one HDMI "output" as a pass thru for video. You'll need at least two HDMI cables. One goes from the Roku to one of the Samsung HDMI inputs. The other goes from the Samsung receiver's HDMI output and into your TV's HDMI input. Whichever HDMI input on the Samsung you choose should be the one you select when you are watching video from the Roku on your TV. For all other viewing (BD/DVD player, Cable STB, game boxes,etc.), the Samsung receiver input should from the TV via TOSlink cable. Remember to match the appropriate audio selection with the correct video selections.

With this setup, you should be able to play any Netflix content that is coded "5.1HD))" in the title description, and thus requiring DD+ or DTS-HD MA and, thus, needing an HDMI cable.

Hope this helps.

HT-Z320

From what I could see, there was only one HDMI, and it was HDMI Out.
excellence153

Postby jeffrok » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:27 am

Your best bet will be to replace your lower end receiver with something with multiple HDMI inputs that also supports Dolby Digital+, unfortunately.

You should be able to find something that fits your needs for around $200.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koy2eg1ioZ8&list=HL1380998604&feature=mh_lolz
jeffrok

Postby zm3sichi » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:38 pm

excellence153 wrote:HT-Z320

From what I could see, there was only one HDMI, and it was HDMI Out.

jeffrok wrote:Your best bet will be to replace your lower end receiver with something with multiple HDMI inputs that also supports Dolby Digital+, unfortunately.

You should be able to find something that fits your needs for around $200.

I'd have to concur, having reviewed the ops manual for this model. At least, you need a new receiver. You might not need the whole new system, but it probably wouldn't hurt.

I'd recommend something like this: Onkyo TX-NR509 5.1 Channel Network A/V Receiver
zm3sichi

Postby jeffrok » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:06 pm

Here's a couple more options.. Also, I'd check eBay for reliable sellers selling used year-old or refurbished units. If you buy one for $150 off retail and buy a Squaretrade warranty for $25-$30, the technology doesn't change terribly often and these things really don't break very often (in my experience.. owned the same Yamaha 7.2 channel AVR since 2009).

Yamaha RX-V-373 $229.99
http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-V373-5-1-Channel-AV-Receiver/dp/B007JF8FD8/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1370983854&sr=1-3&keywords=RX-V375

Onkyo HT-RC430 5.1-Channel Home Theater Receiver (Black) - $214
http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-RC430-5- ... s=HT-RC430

Onkyo TX-SR313 5.1-Channel Home Theater A/V Receiver(Black)- $197
http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-SR313-5- ... s=TX-SR313

All of the above have 5.1 channel surround and support Dolby Digital Plus (according to the manufacturer).

Good luck.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koy2eg1ioZ8&list=HL1380998604&feature=mh_lolz
jeffrok

Postby excellence153 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:36 am

Unfortunately, that Samsung HT came with it's own speakers with plastic connectors around the wires (specialized for the average consumer I'm guessing). Maybe I could break the plastic and the wires would still work.

But thanks for the suggestions!
excellence153

Postby __5 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:13 am

excellence153 wrote:Unfortunately, that Samsung HT came with it's own speakers with plastic connectors around the wires (specialized for the average consumer I'm guessing). Maybe I could break the plastic and the wires would still work.

You could break the plastic and the wires would still work (+/-). However, make sure to research your speakers “ohm” specs. They need to be same or higher than the new AV receiver specs (but not lower).

i.e., speakers should be (6 ohm) ~ 8 ohm (or higher) – as (I believe) the new AVRs default setting is 8 ohm (& maybe set to 6 ohm).
FYI, some AVRs have (SP IMP) ohm override setting [or back switch] & some don't.

Enjoy it :) in advance
__5

Postby zm3sichi » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:14 am

excellence153 wrote:Unfortunately, that Samsung HT came with it's own speakers with plastic connectors around the wires (specialized for the average consumer I'm guessing). Maybe I could break the plastic and the wires would still work.

This might be possible, but I would check the potential receiver before I tried.

This is a picture of the back panel of my receiver. Scroll down to the middle where the picture is, click on it to bring it up, and then click again to enlarge it.

You'll notice the push clips for the speakers in the lower right corner (below where it says "Caution: Speaker Impedance... etc. etc."). These clips accept a raw wire without any connectors. If the receiver you select has these (or something similar), you can cut the connectors off your original speakers, as you indicated above. Just make sure the receiver you will be selecting has connectors that work like this, or something similar (i.e. that can accept raw wire).
zm3sichi

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion