HBO GO, Watch ESPN, others to Apple TV

This is the place to discuss items not related to your Roku Streaming Player

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Re: HBO GO, Watch ESPN, others to Apple TV

Postby TheEndless » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:21 pm

robjulo wrote:I can confirm it because I'm a Directv subscriber and have already set my Apple TV up for HBO Go

Working for me now. Thanks for the heads up!
Hopefully Roku won't be far behind...
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Justin.tv (JUSTINTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Postby buenafe » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:38 pm

The news about "Watch ESPN" on the Apple TV might be a game changer for me. Netflix is our primary app. WatchESPN would be the second most used "channel" in our household. I'm currently plugging my laptop to watch Wimbledon and the wife doesn't like the complexity to set it up (VGA cable, audio out, setting up dual screen, etc)

I wish I knew if ESPN3 is coming to the Roku. ON the flip side, $99 isn't much to complete the cord cutting experiment.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
current: two roku XDS 2xs, dtvpal, boxeebox, kylo.tv,
radar: wdlxtv.com
buenafe

Postby Basil » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:23 am

buenafe wrote:The news about "Watch ESPN" on the Apple TV might be a game changer for me. Netflix is our primary app. WatchESPN would be the second most used "channel" in our household. I'm currently plugging my laptop to watch Wimbledon and the wife doesn't like the complexity to set it up (VGA cable, audio out, setting up dual screen, etc)

I wish I knew if ESPN3 is coming to the Roku. ON the flip side, $99 isn't much to complete the cord cutting experiment.

Here's the catch with the whole Apple TV thing. And, it's the same catch with the iPad/Watch ESPN thing. That is, you have to validate against a provider to watch live content. That is, you must enter your account information for a select cable provider.

For instance, my ISP is also a cable provider. I don't have cable service from them, just Internet. They aren't on the select list, so I couldn't watch live ESPN content on my Apple TV (yes, I have one) even if I had cable service with them.

My son's ISP is on their select list. However, like me, he also has only Internet service from his provider. He can't watch live ESPN content on his Apple TV (yes, he has one). If he added cable, he could. And that's the catch: you gotta have cable service.

So, within the Terms of Service, if you don't have cable service from a select provider, there is no live ESPN via Apple TV.

Now, I'm not trying to talk you out of an Apple TV. Like I said, I have one. But, once you cut the cord, you'll lose the live ESPN content through your Apple TV. Just be aware of that.
Basil
http://www.basilsblog.com/
http://www.imao.us/
Roku 3, Roku HDMI Streaming Stick, Roku LT; previous Roku 2 XS, Roku 2 XD, Roku 2 HD, Roku XD|S, Roku HD
Also running Apple TV, TiVo/OTA, Simple.TV/OTA, Chromecast, Amazon Fire TV
Basil

Postby buenafe » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:56 am

Basil wrote:Now, I'm not trying to talk you out of an Apple TV. Like I said, I have one. But, once you cut the cord, you'll lose the live ESPN content through your Apple TV. Just be aware of that.

Basil, thanks. You're correct. I picked up an Apple TV yesterday. I registered WatchESPN on Apple TV (using a 2nd account that I manage for my business). I get ESPN live, ESPN2, ESPN3 now at home. The video quality is so much better than streaming from a laptop (which has decent specs).

For my viewing usage, Apple TV just leaped over Roku due to ESPN.

1. Apple TV: Netflix, ESPN, YouTube
2. Boxee: movies on NAS, Pandora
3. Roku: Crackle, Nowhere TV, public domain movies, obscure movies (w/ Adrise ads), etc.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
current: two roku XDS 2xs, dtvpal, boxeebox, kylo.tv,
radar: wdlxtv.com
buenafe

Postby Basil » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:04 am

buenafe wrote:...For my viewing usage, Apple TV just leaped over Roku due to ESPN.

1. Apple TV: Netflix, ESPN, YouTube
2. Boxee: movies on NAS, Pandora
3. Roku: Crackle, Nowhere TV, public domain movies, obscure movies (w/ Adrise ads), etc.

Apple TV also has iTunes movies/TV content, which ain't bad. Roku has Amazon content, which ain't bad. And, about 20% of that is included with Amazon Prime. There's no iTunes counterpart to that, yet. That leans slightly Roku.

Also, Roku has Netflix (which you listed for Apple TV), if you want to make your comparisons more fair.

And, on the Apple TV side, live streaming of SkyNews is a huge plus. Roku has some live news streaming, but nothing that I've seen to compare to the SkyNews feed. Advantage there to Apple TV.
Basil
http://www.basilsblog.com/
http://www.imao.us/
Roku 3, Roku HDMI Streaming Stick, Roku LT; previous Roku 2 XS, Roku 2 XD, Roku 2 HD, Roku XD|S, Roku HD
Also running Apple TV, TiVo/OTA, Simple.TV/OTA, Chromecast, Amazon Fire TV
Basil

Previous

Return to Off Topic