Roku 3 shows up as a wifi hotspot

Moderators: RokuShawnS, RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Re: Roku 3 shows up as a wifi hotspot

Postby flimsychiqn » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:53 pm

This is the first thread I've ever read on these Roku forums, and I'm appalled by the lack of civility here. Seems like half the people participating in this thread are deliberately misleading the conversation ("must be your router"; "return your device"; "call support"), or jumping on people with concerns that, to them, are legitimate.

For what it's worth, I too experience this issue of reduced signal strength and reduced throughput. I too think that the Roku 3 automatically choosing the connected channel as the WiFi Direct channel was an oversight that ought to be corrected, by allowing the user to choose the channel. I would hope that along with this would be the ability to choose the SSID and, even though you can apparently be put to death for such a thing, and ridiculed by the high and mighty internet paper tigers for admitting you want such a thing, I hope to be able to hide it as well. (Props to jaym for the decency to walk away.)

I hope to see this functionality addressed in a soon-to-be-released firmware update.
flimsychiqn

Postby philsoft » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:34 am

flimsychiqn wrote:This is the first thread I've ever read on these Roku forums, and I'm appalled by the lack of civility here. Seems like half the people participating in this thread are deliberately misleading the conversation ("must be your router"; "return your device"; "call support"), or jumping on people with concerns that, to them, are legitimate.

The router suggestions actually helped some people. In fact, just before your post was someone that replaced their router and resolved the issue.
philsoft
** Valued Community Member **

Postby TheEndless » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:08 am

flimsychiqn wrote:This is the first thread I've ever read on these Roku forums, and I'm appalled by the lack of civility here. Seems like half the people participating in this thread are deliberately misleading the conversation ("must be your router"; "return your device"; "call support"), or jumping on people with concerns that, to them, are legitimate.

For what it's worth, I too experience this issue of reduced signal strength and reduced throughput. I too think that the Roku 3 automatically choosing the connected channel as the WiFi Direct channel was an oversight that ought to be corrected, by allowing the user to choose the channel. I would hope that along with this would be the ability to choose the SSID and, even though you can apparently be put to death for such a thing, and ridiculed by the high and mighty internet paper tigers for admitting you want such a thing, I hope to be able to hide it as well. (Props to jaym for the decency to walk away.)

I hope to see this functionality addressed in a soon-to-be-released firmware update.

I think much of that has to do with the misleading title of the thread. The reduced throughput is a legitimate issue that needs to be addressed. The fact that the "Roku 3 shows up as a wifi hotspot," however, is not. Most of the negative responses in this thread are those debating the wifi hotspot as a security issue, not the reduced throughput issue. Personally, I think a new thread with an appropriate title needs to be created to increase the visibility of the real issue, as the current title is easily overlooked as someone just not understanding that the remote uses wifi direct to communicate with the Roku.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Justin.tv (JUSTINTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless

Postby Basil » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:14 am

^ +1
Basil
http://www.basilsblog.com/
http://www.imao.us/
Roku 3, Roku HDMI Streaming Stick, Roku LT; previous Roku 2 XS, Roku 2 XD, Roku 2 HD, Roku XD|S, Roku HD
Also running Apple TV, TiVo/OTA, Simple.TV/OTA, Chromecast, Amazon Fire TV
Basil

Postby captainskyhawk » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:36 am

Came to these forums just to repeat what others have said here -- I'm actually happy to hear that it wasn't just me going crazy. I have had constant problems with wireless-N devices in my household ever since some update or the other with my Roku box -- so much so that I even replaced one adapter I had for one computer with a wireless-G one! (Becaused I noticed these strange problems were only happening to Wireless-N devices.) Dropouts, computers being unable to get a signal -- you name it.
captainskyhawk

Postby dslink » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:02 pm

Funny how this ONE device is the downfall of everyone's security... Most of you are running routers that are known to be vulnerable to remote attack, google it was just on every tech news site few weeks ago, and it wasn't really news. Then you have your OS and I'm going to guess most people are running windows or OSx sorry even the Apple people get screwed because none of them know squat about security, even less then your average windows day to day user. So besides it messing with your wifi what does it really do? Also you can block it with a simple mac filter on the AP/router. Or you can mess with it and change your AP to use the same SSID, I wonder what it would do then if it saw it's own SSID being broadcaste mine is "DIRECT-roku-095" I personally don't care my place is wired cat6 and all gigabit, sucks for my wife and kid but they haven't noticed, but nither has my android cell/tablet.
dslink

Postby tmeader » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:23 pm

philsoft wrote:

The router suggestions actually helped some people. In fact, just before your post was someone that replaced their router and resolved the issue.

Actually, in reading that reply, it appears that replacing the router, along with plugging the Roku 3 in via ethernet, "fixed" the issues. So essentially he's no longer even able to use it wirelessly. Not really a solution. Forgive me if I'm misreading his post.
tmeader

Postby bdillon » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:11 pm

That's correct. I didn't technically replace my router. I bought an additional router which had the same issues with channel overlap so I implemented WDS and used the second router as a wireless bridge between the Roku 3 and my main router. I no longer use my Roku 3 wifi until a fix is implemented.
bdillon

Postby smitty12 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:30 pm

They may be able to fix performance issues and change the SSID with a firmware update, but I highly doubt that they can put the Direct Wifi on a different channel from the Household WiFi. The device probably only has one physical radio which participates in both Household Wifi and Remote Direct Wifi networks. For that to work both WiFi networks have to be on the same channel.

bdillon wrote:That's correct. I didn't technically replace my router. I bought an additional router which had the same issues with channel overlap so I implemented WDS and used the second router as a wireless bridge between the Roku 3 and my main router. I no longer use my Roku 3 wifi until a fix is implemented.

You effectively put the Household WiFi network traffic onto a separate radio in that additional router. The allows the embedded radio on the Roku 3 to be dedicated to Wifi-Direct and be on a channel independent of Household WiFi.
smitty12

Postby poky3new » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:09 pm

I surprised myself: I read the entire thread.
I have just recently got Roku3, set it up via Ethernet, and observed Roku's hotspot Oxnak reported. I am not comfortable with that, and I would like to invite the tech experts stating that wifi direct is no security thread to look outside the box. Please follow my thought.
1. if there is a wireless connection it may get compromised. I hope you agree.
2. having it listed among other hotspots lowers the bar from experienced hackers to beginners that may be tempted to get in.
2. what does Roku's remote control do? Funny, you say. It controls the box. That's why it is called a remote control. Once the connection between the remote and the box is compromised, _hypothetically_ control over the box may be gained.
3. now we do the math: you have control over the box + you have a wi-fi transmission channel = you can watch online television via my Roku3. And that's what my "household" mentality fears the most, in this case. This is what "security" boils down to to me, as a movie watcher. This may result in saturated internet bandwidth, my movies will start breaking up, losing sound, and I will not be getting the pleasant entertainment experience I've got used to.

Please don't try to discard this because "no one in their right mind" would do such a thing. People have been known to do things much less attractive than that.
I don't buy the statement that wifi direct is short range - my dual band wifi adapter can see 4 out of 5 bars two rooms down the hall from where my Roku is. I m sure my neighbours next door can see it, too. And so would wardrivers.

Oh, yeah, one more thing: did anyone wonder how secure the Ethernet connection between Roku and the router is? As someone mentioned here, the secure computer is with no network connections and no power (i.e., turned off). So, by compromising the connection to the router, and then - to your home computer, a real security breach may happen.
poky3new

Postby mikebdoss » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:17 pm

Honestly, if you're this worried about Roku network security (and frankly, this paranoid about some mystical all-powerful hacker who can compromise your home computer via your remote control), you're better off returning the Roku, and probably better off unplugging your computer. Are you actually HAVING any problems?
mikebdoss

Postby TheEndless » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:36 pm

poky3new wrote:3. now we do the math: you have control over the box + you have a wi-fi transmission channel = you can watch online television via my Roku3.

You've lost me. Please explain how this is an issue? You think someone is going to pull up outside of your house to stream television via your Roku 3's remote control WiFi Direct connection?
Or, do you have a really clever (really close) neighbor that's a hacker, but doesn't have an internet connection of their own?
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Justin.tv (JUSTINTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless

Postby dwanthny » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:54 pm

poky3new wrote:3. now we do the math: you have control over the box + you have a wi-fi transmission channel = you can watch online television via my Roku3.

I don't believe the math adds up. I suspect the only way for the "hacker" to watch online television via your Roku3 after having mastered taking over your remote control is to sneak into your house attach a HDMI splitter and run one feed to his house.
:idea: 20GB of Free CLOUD STORAGE: For a limited time you can use this link https://copy.com?r=lB3oTH to sign up for a free 15GB Copy.com account and we both get an extra 5GB of free space.
dwanthny

Postby lsc » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:03 pm

One other wifi question. Does the use of a wifi remote (vs. IR, UHF or Bluetooth) increase the danger to us by using such a remote so close to the human body? I have heard it is a higher frequency than the others and since designed for gaming I would assume it is omnidirectional.

If so, where is the best (cheapest) place to find an inexpensive dedicated IR remote that works with the 3 and has the skip back and options buttons. I am not a gamer and not especially interested in the headphone jack and terrible headphones that were included. Thanks.

BTW, I tried a set of headphones that cost a dollar from the Dollar Tree and they are clearly superior to the one that came with the ROKU 3. Would use neither for music.
Roku 2 XS; ATT DSL; Netgear Wireless Gateway; Ethernet; LG 32" HDTV; HDMI; 1080p
lsc

Postby Gilgamesh » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:18 am

lsc wrote:One other wifi question. Does the use of a wifi remote (vs. IR, UHF or Bluetooth) increase the danger to us by using such a remote so close to the human body?...

There have been no believable studies showing any danger in this regard. But there are quite a few of quack studies that do show danger. You can choose who to believe.

Personally, I believe one is more likely to be damaged by radiation by going outside in the bright sunlight or by taking an international or cross country flight.

Of course if you want you can get the Roku IR remote or a third party IR remote. All Rokus respond to all Roku IR remotes.
Gilgamesh

PreviousNext

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion