Roku 3 - What Type of Converted to get RCA AV Output

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Roku 3 - What Type of Converted to get RCA AV Output

Postby charleswillner » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:01 pm

I am currently aiming to invest in a ROKU. I would buy the roku 3 but my biggest problem is I still have terrible box TVs that are RCA or Cable In. I will upgrade in a couple of months to an HDTV but for now I have to use that old tv. I want to get the ROKU3 but may have to settle for ROKU2 for now.

If I got a ROKU3, Whats the minimum I would need to convert the HDMI output to RCA. I see a lot of different costs and options but don't know if what i need is a HDMI to RCA cord or an actual box to convert? Anyone know what would help translate that so the ROKU would work on a standard old TV?

In the end I may get a Roku2. I want to have access to all content for the time I actually do end up with an HDTV that can view 1080p content. What ROKU version is best for me or should I get a ROKU3 and find a converter for it.
charleswillner

Re: Roku 3 - What Type of Converted to get RCA AV Output

Postby johninFL » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:09 pm

The best thing to do IMO is to wait til you buy your new HDTV then buy the R-3.
Most converters that will do what you want are usually kinda expensive and there's no use buying one considering that you'll soon have a new tv.
johninFL

Postby Basil » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:12 pm

charleswillner wrote:I am currently aiming to invest in a ROKU. I would buy the roku 3 but my biggest problem is I still have terrible box TVs that are RCA or Cable In. I will upgrade in a couple of months to an HDTV but for now I have to use that old tv. I want to get the ROKU3 but may have to settle for ROKU2 for now.

If I got a ROKU3, Whats the minimum I would need to convert the HDMI output to RCA. I see a lot of different costs and options but don't know if what i need is a HDMI to RCA cord or an actual box to convert? Anyone know what would help translate that so the ROKU would work on a standard old TV?

In the end I may get a Roku2. I want to have access to all content for the time I actually do end up with an HDTV that can view 1080p content. What ROKU version is best for me or should I get a ROKU3 and find a converter for it.

If you were a family member coming to me with that question, I'd recommend getting a Roku 2 XS or XD. And, I only say that because of the future possibility of a 1080p TV. If you want to gaming features (Angry Birds!), a LAN port, or USB play, then the XS, from a Roku retailer, runs around $10 cheaper than the Roku 3. If games nor LAN nor USB matter, save more and get the XD.

If you might keep the old TV in use, and want to keep a Roku on it in a spare room, you might want to consider an LT. It's half the price of a 3. The downside is max output is only 720p, but on the older TV, that's more than enough. If you are retiring the older TV, and want a 1080p device, get an XS or XD.

As for how to play the Roku 2 on the old TV, you can use an old VCR or some such device as an RF modulator (no, you won't be able to record stuff from your Roku). Or, shell out $20 to Best Buy or some such place for an RF modulator.

At least, that's what I'd tell my folks.

EDIT: No disagreement with what johninFL said.
Basil
http://www.basilsblog.com/
http://www.imao.us/
Roku 3, Roku HDMI Streaming Stick, Roku LT; previous Roku 2 XS, Roku 2 XD, Roku 2 HD, Roku XD|S, Roku HD
Also running Apple TV, TiVo/OTA, Simple.TV/OTA, Chromecast, Amazon Fire TV
Basil
** Valued Community Member **

Postby BoloMKXXVIII » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:45 am

"I still have terrible box TVs" I read this to mean you have more than one TV. In that case I would buy a Roku 2/Roku HD and a Roku 3. Use the Roku 2/Roku HD on your main TV until you get the HDTV then move the Roku 2/Roku HD over to another TV and use the Roku 3 on the new HDTV.
The NSA is the largest criminal organization in the United States.

** Non-valued Community Member **
BoloMKXXVIII

Postby FredNugent69 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:17 am

We still have those 'terrible' box TVs and won't convert until these die. The 61' Toshiba big screen from 1996 is 17 yrs. old and looks as good as the day it was purchased. It has RGB inputs and the picture is spectacular. It even has outlasted my last marriage. However if you do have to convert, the HDMI converters to composite/s-video or component can be found on Amazon. Just read the reviews on over heating and signal degradation. Some are cheap and some aren't. Just because one has a hefty price tag doesn't mean it is the better one. Speaking from experience. But a big question remains with me. Why have they removed the R 2 XS's from the stores like they never existed? I take that as knowing there was a defect somewhere or just pushing the R 3 because it is HDMI exclusive. I've said it once and I'll say it again. The 'HD' model handles everything streaming better than the models I've tried. Especially in terms of audio on composite.
ROKU 3 (Given away)
(2) ROKU 2 HD (the champ)
(2) ROKU 2 XS
ROKU 2 XD
SONY BLU-RAY BDP-S580
BRIGHTHOUSE MODEM/ROUTER BRIDGED WITH NETGEAR WNDR4500 (Router)
FredNugent69

Postby Basil » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:34 am

FredNugent69 wrote:...Why have they removed the R 2 XS's from the stores like they never existed? I take that as knowing there was a defect somewhere or just pushing the R 3 because it is HDMI exclusive...

They Roku 2 XS available at Walmart. Here in Columbus, Radio Shack in Cross Country Plaza has them in stock.

Maybe it's just where you live. Or, maybe, since Roku stopped selling them online in March (other than refurbished), they stopped making them and the supply is dwindling at the 20 online and brick-and-mortar retailers.

It's not like they never existed. It's like maybe they're discontinued in the US. Or, maybe they sell more than they can keep up with. Happens to the LT from time to time. Supplies fluctuate.

You can still buy the Roku 2 XS in the UK. In stores even.

You read too much into stuff. Stop that.
Basil
http://www.basilsblog.com/
http://www.imao.us/
Roku 3, Roku HDMI Streaming Stick, Roku LT; previous Roku 2 XS, Roku 2 XD, Roku 2 HD, Roku XD|S, Roku HD
Also running Apple TV, TiVo/OTA, Simple.TV/OTA, Chromecast, Amazon Fire TV
Basil
** Valued Community Member **

Postby johninFL » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:20 am

FredNugent69 wrote:However if you do have to convert, the HDMI converters to composite/s-video or component can be found on Amazon. Just read the reviews on over heating and signal degradation. Some are cheap and some aren't. Just because one has a hefty price tag doesn't mean it is the better one. Speaking from experience.

Speaking from my own(and others) experience,i can say truthfully that i've never seen even one of those HDMI>composite/s-video converters that work worth a <Force equals mass times acceleration>.ALL of the ones i and some friends have used,plus screen shots i've seen posted on other forums suffer from very poor PQ.They range in price from ~$35.00-~$150.00 and many/most are manufactured by Lenkeng Corp.but have been re-branded under other names.MonoPrice used to sell them under their own name real cheap but don't seem to sell them anymore.Now you'll find 'em on Amazon,ebay,and other sites too.Some people think they're great and swear by them,but I swear AT them.Lenkeng also sells a Component>composite/s-video converter,but it too suffers from poor PQ.

The only two Component>composite/s-video converters that i Know produce Good PQ are the Atlona AT COMP-500 and the Audio Authority xxx161,but i don't think AA makes 'em anymore.Not sure about Atlona.I own the Atlona and can vouch for its quality,another person i know owns an AA and he says the PQ from it is good too.The price for either of those converters runs ~$250-$300 bucks.But they're worth it if you Need one,AND IF you can find one.

There a couple of really good HDMI>Component video converters too.The very best one is the HD-Fury,the other one is the 2nd.gen.ViewHD.There are later gen.ViewHD's but i don't know anything about them.

Also,more and more converter manufacturers are making their converters comply with HDCP.These converters will shut down whenever HDCP is detected,rendering them utterly useless for people whose older high end non-HDMI,and non-HDCP compliant tv's require a converter to watch tv on.
johninFL

Postby charleswillner » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:03 am

alright awesome. thank everyone with your advice. It was very helpful to get me to make my decision. I was teetering both ways to Roku 2 XD and 3 before this post. I just got roku 2 XD and so far i love it! its working fantastic, its fast and smooth. I started some trials and am finding my way through public and private channels. thanks for the advice. If in the future I get the tv, I can always upgrade but so far I dont think i have any reason to im very happy with the ROKU 2 XD.
charleswillner

Postby FredNugent69 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:52 pm

You don't have to worry about that Basil. I was just basing on what posts I've read. They do not sell The XS's anywhere around here as far as Target, Walmart, etc. As far as the HDMI converter, yep, I told ya there is picture degradation however the Sony Blu-ray looks really good coming converted and back through to the S-Video.
ROKU 3 (Given away)
(2) ROKU 2 HD (the champ)
(2) ROKU 2 XS
ROKU 2 XD
SONY BLU-RAY BDP-S580
BRIGHTHOUSE MODEM/ROUTER BRIDGED WITH NETGEAR WNDR4500 (Router)
FredNugent69

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion