Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
infoman
Channel Surfer

Best server software for live streaming?

I stream an annual conference and I'm getting set up for this year. Last year I used Adobe Media Server with Amazon Web Services. The live streaming (through a web browser) to all manner of devices, including Android and iOS worked well, but I had some complaints from Roku users. Fortunately, I had recorded the videos (through FMLE) while they were streaming, and was able to make them available on demand afterward, and then everyone was happy.

This year, I'd like to make some improvements, and I've seen a lot of talk about using Wowza. Does it work better for live streaming to Roku than the Adobe server? Has anyone tried both and decided which one worked better? It looks like I can use Wowza with Amazon Web Services as well.
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
ethanthekiwi
Visitor

Re: Best server software for live streaming?

I've never used Adobe Media Server myself, but I do use Wowza with Roku and it works pretty well. As far as Roku users, are you saying you were streaming to Roku with the Adobe server and it was poor performance? Since Roku uses HLS it should be able to work anywhere that Apple devices would, but I can't say I have compared the two products.
0 Kudos
infoman
Channel Surfer

Yes, I had complaints such as looping and frequent buffering.

Also, I stopped streaming for a few minutes in between presentations, and that apparently caused difficulties on the user end. Would I have the same issue with Wowza? Would it be better to keep the streaming on throughout the whole day rather than stopping between speakers? I mostly did it that way to make the recording easier, so that there would be a separate file for each speaker.
0 Kudos
infoman
Channel Surfer

"aubreelewis" wrote:
Get more information about live video streaming software and live video ... you can choose the best encoding solution for your needs or repurpose the encoders...

Um... Thanks. That's sort of why I asked this question... :?
0 Kudos