[Solved] Purple Screen HDCP un-authorized - Content Disabled

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

[Solved] Purple Screen HDCP un-authorized - Content Disabled

Postby brink668 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:40 am

Why is this happening? The Roku was working fine until my girlfriend started watching a BlockBuster movie, not sure if that is a coincidence or not but now I get this with all channels. I have not tried resetting the Roku yet. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get this to stop?

I saw the ability to change formats on the Roku Player from 1080p to 720p or vice versa as others says this helps. Have not tried changing anything on the TV itself as it only supports 720 output.

SyncMaster T220HD
Roku 3

Tried both WiFi / Ethernet connection same issues.

SOLVED: purchased new HDMI wire
Last edited by brink668 on Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
brink668

Re: Purple Screen - DHCP un-authorized - Content Disabled RO

Postby kc8pql » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:52 pm

The first thing to do is reboot the box. Unplug the power, count to 10 and plug it back in.
Do the same to your TV.
Don't set the box to 1080p if your TV doesn't support it.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby TheEndless » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:23 pm

Also make sure the HDMI cable is properly seated on both ends. If it's loose, it could interfere with the HDCP handshake.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Justin.tv (JUSTINTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless

Postby jeffrok » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:03 pm

You really didn't mean to say DHCP, did you?
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koy2eg1ioZ8&list=HL1380998604&feature=mh_lolz
jeffrok

Postby brink668 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:53 pm

jeffrok wrote:You really didn't mean to say DHCP, did you?

No I did not mean dynamic address!

Anyway restarting the device, unplugging the HDMI wire and re-plugging didn't work. I purchased a new HDMI wire seems to be working correctly again. Guess the HDMI wire went bad. Will wait a few more days to know for sure but it is looking pretty good right now.

Thanks for all the help!
brink668

Re: [Solved] Purple Screen HDCP un-authorized - Content Disa

Postby thetick » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:41 pm

I noticed after switching TV inputs if I leave my Roku3 on certain channels I may get the "HDCP un-authorized - Content Disabled" message . In this case I mentioned it's either the Roku3 or my TV firmware has an issue with the handshake. I just try to remember to ALWAYS hit the home button on my Roku3 before changing TV inputs otherwise the fix is pulling the plug reboot. A TV reboot still has the problem so I suspect the problem I see is with the Roku3.

I cycle through TV ports quite often. My connections are an antenna, DVD, Roku3, Verion FIOS STB, Verizon FIOS QAM (only for one local channel Verizon refuses to provide with the STB), VCR (too lazy/cheap to digitize old movies on VHS)
thetick

Postby cvalletta@aol.com » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:56 am

Well it doesn't work for me - I have tried everything including a tv repairman because Roku said it was my hdmi port that was bad. I get that purple screen with HDCP unauthorized (yes spelled like that) content disabled every single time I try to use the think. Roku has been no help. I bought new compliant cable for 40 bucks and still nothing. My computer streams perfectly from A&E with HDMI which is what I should have done in the first place and its free!
cvalletta@aol.com

Postby jeffrok » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:13 am

cvalletta@aol.com wrote:Well it doesn't work for me - I have tried everything including a tv repairman because Roku said it was my hdmi port that was bad. I get that purple screen with HDCP unauthorized (yes spelled like that) content disabled every single time I try to use the think. Roku has been no help. I bought new compliant cable for 40 bucks and still nothing. My computer streams perfectly from A&E with HDMI which is what I should have done in the first place and its free!

In your case, I'd try plugging the Roku into another TV (if you have one, or a friend's).. It could be a bad HDMI port on your Roku. What kind of TV is it? Has the Roku ever worked?
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
jeffrok

Postby cvalletta@aol.com » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:23 am

The TV is Toshiba 52HM84 . I have used the roku about three times and it worked fine but now I get that message everytime I try it. I will try it on a friends tv.
cvalletta@aol.com

Postby dorainer » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:51 am

Roku3 has been working fine until after I changed AVR inputs last night to the LG Blu-ray to watch a DVD. Then watched a little Netflix from the Blu-ray. Today I fired up the Roku3 and got the purple HDCP error while the audio played (tried shows on 2 stations). I unplugged the HDMI cable for >10 seconds, and tried again. This time there was no video at all, just black and silent. I unplugged the power for >10 seconds, and tried once more. All is working just fine now. Never had to unplug the TV.
Thanks group!
dorainer

Postby jhansman » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:34 pm

Got the purple "Unauthorized" screen for the first time last night, with no clue as to why. Nothing I'd ripped from BD or standard def would run. Came here and found the suggestion to try a new HDMI cable which I did. Swapped it in with Roku 3 powered down. When it came back up, I got a notification of a firmware update. Tried my HD media and all is good now. Hoping it stays this way. Love the 3 and coupled with Plex, it's gotta be the best streaming solution out there.
jhansman

Postby doppel » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:17 pm

This is the HDMI I ordered: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6882422007

I will edit this post when I receive it with the updated status.

EDIT: This cable already arrived (amazing shipping by newegg, ordered it Wed evening, received it Fri morning). The bad news is that it did not fix the issue. $3.50 down.
Last edited by doppel on Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doppel

Postby jeffrok » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:47 pm

I enjoyed your chat session.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
jeffrok

Postby doppel » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:45 pm

doppel wrote:EDIT: This cable already arrived (amazing shipping by newegg, ordered it Wed evening, received it Fri morning). The bad news is that it did not fix the issue. $3.50 down.

So as I stated I would edit my last post, and I have. Since my solution was not fixed I contacted Philips again with less than successful results:
doppel

Postby doppel » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:35 pm

I realize I am possibly flooding a dead and [Solved] post, but I was hoping I would've had a solution to help others by now. As of right now this is where I am at. I will post again later with my results (whenever I find time).

Roku Support wrote:Rizwan
Hello Bradley. How may I help you?

Bradley
Hello Rizwan. I am a proud owner of your Roku 3.

Rizwan
Not to worry Bradley, Let me help you with your concern.

Bradley
And although we love it dearly, every time I start my TV I receive the dreaded pink "HDCP unauthorized. content disabled" error.

Rizwan
Not to worry Bradley let me help you with your concern.

Bradley
I have tried 3 different HDMI cables, a high speed one and an HDCP compliant cable (per Philips' advice)
I have also tried it on my two computer monitors, and I have not been able to recreate the issue on the monitors... it only happens on my television.

Rizwan
Okay.

Bradley
Philips doesn't have an answer, so they're blaming the Roku... and although I would assume it is the TV, when googling this issue it appears to be exclusive to Roku users
So long story short, any advice?

Rizwan
Please follow my instructions to resolve this issue and then I will explain you what is this HDCP content.

Bradley
Alright.

Rizwan
Now disconnect the HDMI cable from your Roku and TV and turn off your TV and unplug the power cable behind the Roku and let me know.
Now reconnect the HDMI cable from your Roku to Tv and turn on the TV first as soon as it turned on then replug the power cable behind the Roku and let me know.

Bradley
Okay, I have done that. The Roku is now powering up.

Rizwan
Okay.

Bradley
Alright, it's loaded.

Rizwan
Let me know whether you get the same error message or not.

Bradley
I did not receive the error immediately after, but as soon as I turn the TV off and back on again, I receive the error again.

Rizwan
Can you do that step now.

Bradley
Turn the TV off and back on? I already did it, I received the error again.
The solution I received to it on the forums was to go into display and change it from 720 or 1080p to the other... but doing that every time I turn on the TV is a bit frustrating.

Rizwan
I understand your frustration Bradley.
This could also be the compatability issue with the TV or Roku player which we need to check.
Disconnect the HDMI cable behind the TV and connect to different HDMI port on your TV and check.

Bradley
I've already done all 3 ports.
It happens on all of the ports.

Rizwan
Okay.

Do you have another TV in your home?

Bradley
I do not have another TV with an HDMI port, but as I stated, I hooked the Roku up to my two computer monitors and it worked with both of my monitors.

Rizwan
If the Roku worked through the monitors then there is no issue with the Roku player, it could be issue with the TV, Just to make sure, if it is TV issue or not.
I would suggest you to take the Roku to your friend house or neighbour house and connect with there TV and check.

Bradley
Well that is what I concluded, but the maker of the TV (Philips) insisted it was an issue with the Roku despite that evidence.
The only thing in their favor is that I am unaware of any other streaming capable devices receiving this error? Perhaps the wording is unique to Roku and that is why search results do not turn up for other devices?

Rizwan
I understand your concern Bradley, in order to check whether the issue is with the TV or Roku, I would suggest you to take the Roku to your friend house or neighbour house and connect with there TV and check.

Bradley
Alright, I will have to try that sometime.

Rizwan
yes, in order to check that, we need to connect the Roku to different TV to isolate the issue.

Bradley
I also notice that the Roku is rather warm to the touch, is this normal?

Rizwan
If we found the same issue in another Tv then we can conclude that this would be issue with the Roku player.
Yes, the Roku will get warm, if you use lot.
It is normal.

Bradley
Alright, thanks for your time.
P.S. You are very slow to respond.
doppel

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion