2 TVs on 1 Roku?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

2 TVs on 1 Roku?

Postby ShareIn » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:53 pm

Before I knew that cable (which I got rid of. Hooray.) was going to be needing cable boxes in every room I remodeled a bathroom - and put a small LED TV in the room. I, of course, was not (and really could not) put a cable box in the bathroom. Cable hooked it to the TV in my attic (yes, I have a TV there too) and while it was a pain to have to remember to change the TV in the attic if I wanted to watch something different in the bathroom it worked.

Then I completely dumped cable.

I have now replaced every TV with a Roku - except the bathroom. I have limited space and frankly I don't want wires everywhere (the wires currently run behind the wall). Is there a way (if I manage to snake a wire down to the bathroom) that I can have TWO TVs hooked up to ONE Roku? That's sort of how I had it via cable previously. 2 TVs just going to 1 cable box.

Thank you.
ShareIn

Re: 2 TVs on 1 Roku?

Postby kc8pql » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:58 pm

Sorry no, it's one box, one TV. You could get the bathroom an LT though. You may be able to find a refurbished one for $30. or so. New is $49.
Last edited by kc8pql on Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby Basil » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:00 pm

+1
Basil
http://www.basilsblog.com/
http://www.imao.us/
Roku 3, Roku LT, Roku HDMI Streaming Stick; previous: Roku 1, Roku 2 XS, Roku 2 XD, Roku 2 HD, Roku XD|S, Roku HD
Also running Apple TV, TiVo/OTA, Chromecast; Previous: Simple.TV/OTA, Amazon Fire TV
Basil

Postby Gilgamesh » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:12 pm

kc8pql wrote:Sorry no, it's one box, one TV. You could get the bathroom an LT though. You may be able to find a refurbished one for $30. or so. New is $49.

That is not quite true.

On a Roku 1 all outputs are active at all times.

On a Roku 2 the HDMI has priority but you can hook both outputs up. You just need to disconnect the HDMI or make it look disconnected to the Roku to have the composite active.

On any Roku you can use a switch or splitter with multiple outputs to connect one Roku to two or more TVs. Something like http://www.monoprice.com/products/produ ... 1&format=2 would work.
Gilgamesh

Postby kc8pql » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:17 pm

Yeah, I know. But by the time you get switches and splitters and run a bunch of wiring, an LT makes more since for the OP, for little if any more money,
and you have the inconvenience of having to remember to do the switching.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql

Postby wzwor » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:26 pm

ShareIn wrote:Before I knew that cable (which I got rid of. Hooray.) was going to be needing cable boxes in every room I remodeled a bathroom - and put a small LED TV in the room. I, of course, was not (and really could not) put a cable box in the bathroom. Cable hooked it to the TV in my attic (yes, I have a TV there too) and while it was a pain to have to remember to change the TV in the attic if I wanted to watch something different in the bathroom it worked.

I have now replaced every TV with a Roku - except the bathroom. I have limited space and frankly I don't want wires everywhere (the wires currently run behind the wall). Is there a way (if I manage to snake a wire down to the bathroom) that I can have TWO TVs hooked up to ONE Roku? That's sort of how I had it via cable previously. 2 TVs just going to 1 cable box.

Thank you.

There are a thousand ways to do this. You did not mention how the bathroom tv connects to things -- hdmi, composite, component -- and that matters. You also need to tell us about how you intend to control the set. Do you want to be able to change channels in the bathroom or just keep watching what is on another set while you are in there? Explain yourself a bit and I'll help you explore your options.

Personally, I think the best solution would be to grab a $39 LT off Amazon today.
http://thebeersoncomcast.wordpress.com/
wzwor

Postby philsoft » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:35 pm

ShareIn wrote:Before I knew that cable (which I got rid of. Hooray.) was going to be needing cable boxes in every room I remodeled a bathroom - and put a small LED TV in the room. I, of course, was not (and really could not) put a cable box in the bathroom. Cable hooked it to the TV in my attic (yes, I have a TV there too) and while it was a pain to have to remember to change the TV in the attic if I wanted to watch something different in the bathroom it worked.

Thank you.

Another thought is to have a Roku3 in a different room, and run HDMI cable into the bathroom. Since the Roku3 is controlled with a Wi-Fi direct remote, you would not need line of sight to control it, and wouldn't need to have an unsightly box in the bathroom.
philsoft

Postby ShareIn » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:35 am

Hi, and thank you for all the replies. I'm a single gal and while I'm smart (no modesty here lol) there are technical things you guys talk about that I don't quite get. I have a small TV in the bathroom. About 8" (I just wanted something to watch while getting dressed in the morning.) It currently has a cable wire running behind the wall *up* into the attic where it - at one time - connected to a splinter that went to the TV in my attic. This was all with cable. The TV (I believe) only has the red/white/yellow ports. Since I can't presently move it (its still attached to the cable cord as I didn't want it to fall into the hole I now have in an expensive piece of marble - cut just for this bathroom, which is why I really don't want to remove the TV. I wondered if I could somehow duct tape together a cord for the Roku and pull it through the hole carefully as I pull *out* the cable wire? But I can't imagine finding a cord this long. While its not that far to the attic (directly above) the TV for the attic is halfway across the room. This was not a problem of course when I had cable. You just add a longer cable wire.

While I could simply put a roku box in the bathroom, I really don't want more things cluttering up an already small space - AND using another outlet. I should have put more in while I was having the wiring for this bathroom done but I guess when you're in the planning stage - at least I think "looks" - and I didn't want a whole bunch of ugly outlets. Hmm, a possible mistake.

Thanks,
Eden
ShareIn

Postby wzwor » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:50 am

what model is the roku you would like to share?
wzwor

Postby ShareIn » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:27 pm

I have a Roku 2 XS.
ShareIn

Postby wzwor » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:35 pm

Lucky you. Does the bathroom tv have composite (rca/red, white, yellow) in? If you can fish a wire from the location of your R2 into the attic then down to the tv, you can watch one set or the other. You might even be able to use the BT remote in both rooms. Long composite cables...

http://www.monoprice.com/products/searc ... mposite+25
wzwor

Postby vnazario » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:01 pm

If you want to use coax, then connect the Roku to a VCR via (Yellow, Red, White) line in and use the coax out of the VCR to feed the signal to your bathroom tv. Use the remote on the primary TV and use the smartphone roku remote app to change channels from the bathroom. No switch needed but you will no longer have HD feed, only SD.
vnazario

(2) Roku2 XS,Roku 1(New),Logitech Revue Google TV,Raspberry Pi+XBMC,Mac Mini HTPC-EyeTV DVR+Rabbit TV+PLEX+XBMC,TiVo Premier,Wii,PS3,Sony Blu Ray w/ streaming apps,Equiso Android TV
Local TV: QAM from ISP coax line. PLEX+unsupported plug-ins.
vnazario

Postby trekkeriii » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:46 pm

vnazario wrote:If you want to use coax, then connect the Roku to a VCR via (Yellow, Red, White) line in and use the coax out of the VCR to feed the signal to your bathroom tv. Use the remote on the primary TV and use the smartphone roku remote app to change channels from the bathroom. No switch needed but you will no longer have HD feed, only SD.

This may or may not work, depending on if the person's VCR has Macrovision copyright protection. Basically Macrovision causes the picture's color to be unstable or even prevent the video from being displayed (depending on how the VCR handles the signal). Some VCRs only activate it when you attempt to record, but most I've seen will have it all the time. This is why RF modulators were popular back when DVD players came out.
Roku2 XS, 42" LCD, Ethernet (5.5 b320)
Roku Stick HDMI, 32" LCD, WiFi (5.5 b2027)
Roku N1000, 25" CRT, Ethernet (3.1)
Router - Linksys WRT54G2
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
trekkeriii

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion