Twonky, YouTube and Roku

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Twonky, YouTube and Roku

Postby wklorenz » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:04 pm

I'm at my wits end with the trio above in the heading.
1. I have 2 streaming players. I have a Roku 2XS and a Netgear NeoTV(NTV200).
About a week ago I noticed that previous Youtube movies that I had seen before no longer played.
I will always get the message "Unable to beam. The media is not supported or my be invalid".
This is now happening alot. Some Youtube videos play o.k.
So, I disconnect my Roku and hook up my Netgear box and try to play the same Youtube movie.
It plays perfectly. By the way the movie was an old Abbott and Costello movie from the forties.
I tried all of my favorite movies on Youtube and with the Netgear box and they all play just fine.
If twonky continues to be this way it's out the window with Roku altogether and will look elsewhere.
There app must really be written programmers that have no idea of what they are doing.
It's really giving Roku a BAD name. VideoBuzz, the predecessor of Twonky worked great all the time.
When will Roku wise up and do something right and restore Videobuzz.
By the way I recently answered a survey from Roku asking a lot of questions about just this subject.
If anyone has any answers I would like to hear them
Bill
wklorenz

Re: Twonky, YouTube and Roku

Postby tallatron2 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:23 pm

youtube doesn't want roku users to have any youtube access,so they disable every way there is
tallatron2

Postby albion01 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:35 am

tallatron2 wrote:youtube doesn't want roku users to have any youtube access,so they disable every way there is

Not every way. There are two or three different methods to get Youtube through Roku. They're not as easy, but they do exist.

My personal opinion... Roku and Google, stop being f'king greedy!

-Craig
albion01

Postby dougrb » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:33 am

albion01 wrote:Not every way. There are two or three different methods to get Youtube through Roku. They're not as easy, but they do exist.
-Craig

You've never heard of rules of the fight club have you?
dougrb

Postby reddice » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:13 am

Still can't believe Roku is THE ONLY STREAMING BOX WITHOUT YouTube.
Earthlink Standard powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony S5100 all Wired. Chromecast Wireless.
Cats are the best pets.
reddice

Postby Buckeye911 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:19 pm

I have the old legacy YouTube private channel that was available a few years ago. When the take down notice came those of us with the channel were able to keep it but it can no longer be added. In the last few months I've noticed that some music videos will no longer play but so far I've been able to view the ones that won't play on YouTube by accessing them on Vimeo or Vevo.
Buckeye911

Postby taomaster99 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:25 pm

From my understanding the problem is Google can't get youtube working on Roku with ads (there main source of income). Thus no youtube which makes sense (except for the few conspiracy nuts out there) since even Microsoft is having issues with Windows Phone 8 and Youtube. MS supposedly is not running ads (or not correctly) so google yanked it from there device.
taomaster99

Postby jeffrok » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:58 pm

taomaster99 wrote:From my understanding the problem is Google can't get youtube working on Roku with ads (there main source of income). Thus no youtube which makes sense (except for the few conspiracy nuts out there)...

I don't think that it's fair to call people who think Google has other motives "conspiracy theorists".. It implies a little bit of insanity. Roku is the most used streamer out there, and surprise, Google just came out with the Chromecast (which has probably been in the development stage for a year). Maybe Google is intimidated by Roku, so they're not willing to assist in any way anymore.

The Roku 3 (and most likely, Roku 2), hardware is robust enough to display videos and ads. Youtube is on every "simple" streamer (this excludes the PS3, XBox, and Wii/WiiU, which have faster processors and larger RAM/cache).. OK, so maybe there's no REAL conspiracy, but maybe Roku has politely asked Google to develop a working Youtube channel, and Google said "Sure, ok, we're working on it, at our speed." Either way, I really doubt that an at least passable Roku Youtube channel isn't feasible. Maybe minus some of the bells and whistles of the Android and PC Youtube channels/page, but the same can be said for many other devices that use a "plain" Yotube app, like Blu-ray players, AppleTV, and Smart TVs.

I wonder, can anyone answer this- does the AppleTV (newest or previous generation) follow Google's standard for displaying ads and for using HTML5?
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koy2eg1ioZ8&list=HL1380998604&feature=mh_lolz
jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Postby TheEndless » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:16 pm

jeffrok wrote:I wonder, can anyone answer this- does the AppleTV (newest or previous generation) follow Google's standard for displaying ads and for using HTML5?

It does not, but Apple had a long standing Google/YouTube relationship on their iOS devices long before the AppleTV was released.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Justin.tv (JUSTINTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless

Postby cwniles » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:35 pm

jeffrok wrote:I don't think that it's fair to call people who think Google has other motives "conspiracy theorists".. It implies a little bit of insanity.

I think you have to be slightly nuts to not think Google is actively against (but not unlawfully, at least that they would admit) having an official Roku app.

Why is Roku approaching content creators who mainly distribute via Youtube in an attempt to get them to create Roku channels of their own and circumvent Youtube? Furthermore, how do you think Google/Youtube views these actions by Roku? Do you think they are cool with Roku just going out and trying to bypass them? probably not....and Roku would have never resorted to those actions if a legitimate Youtube Roku app seemed to be on the horizon as a few random blurbs have seemed to indicate.

and additionally, I think Google was on the grassy knoll ;-)
Roku 2 XS>HDMI>Denon AVR-361>HDMI>Samsung 2333HD
Scientific Atlanta Cable Modem DPC2100R2 >Dynex DX-E402 Router (no wifi)
USB>Seagate Barracuda 7200 SATA 1TB in dock.
Roku S/N 13A16H000141
cwniles

Postby taomaster99 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:16 pm

I know that Roku 3 can display ads, just look at crackle and hulu plus, so guess it comes down to how they are displayed I guess. Now that I think of it that still doesn't make sense because google can have a commercial "break" with a full screen ad or a small ad in the corner so not sure what there problem is exactly. If roku never showed any ads I can see what the problem is but it's proven they can do ads (even the 2 xs can do them)! So I'm back on the conspiracy theory side now, lol!
taomaster99

Postby TheEndless » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:34 pm

taomaster99 wrote:I know that Roku 3 can display ads, just look at crackle and hulu plus, so guess it comes down to how they are displayed I guess. Now that I think of it that still doesn't make sense because google can have a commercial "break" with a full screen ad or a small ad in the corner so not sure what there problem is exactly. If roku never showed any ads I can see what the problem is but it's proven they can do ads (even the 2 xs can do them)! So I'm back on the conspiracy theory side now, lol!

It has nothing to do with the ads. Google requires an HTML5 interface, and Roku have stated that the Roku cannot handle that interface with satisfactory performance (at least on the Roku 2s that were available when that statement was made). The Windows Phone issue is due to the same HTML5 requirement, though less about the platform supporting it and more about MS feeling they shouldn't have to rewrite the app.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Justin.tv (JUSTINTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless

Postby leglace » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:47 am

Videob--- is not dead btw...
leglace

Postby sonicD » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:01 pm

I guess I'd be shocked that Google would actively not want YouTube on Roku. Seeing that Roku was recently surveyed as the most popular streaming device you'd think Google would want YouTube on any/every device to get the ad revenue. Here is hoping to having YouTube as an official channel soon.

-sonic
What is Roku
-sonic
My Rokus: Roku 2 XS; Roku XD
http://www.thebeststreamingplayer.com
sonicD

Postby quavebslreb » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:09 pm

I seemed to be getting the "Unable to beam. The media is not supported or my be invalid." message more and more as well; however, I noticed this morning that I was able to beam YouTube videos that I was recently unable to beam.

Has anyone else noticed this as well?
quavebslreb

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion