Switching Netflix profiles?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Switching Netflix profiles?

Postby wwiihistory » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:22 pm

Hello forum....looking for help:

Purchased an R3 11 days ago and reactivated my Netflix account I used to have & added 2 more profiles: wife & kids using laptop. Then logged into Netflix on R3 but not seeing option to switch profiles. I contacted NF and they said I ahould be able to so they asked me to remove channel & re-add. After an unsuccessful attempt to delete from my channels then an R3 factory restore & re-add netflix, there is no change.

Does anyone know if changing profiles is an actual option or am I forced to remove more my & my wifes profile to have quick access on R3 for kids stuff?

Thanks!
wwiihistory
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:09 pm

Re: Switching Netflix profiles?

Postby RokuShawnS » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:27 pm

It's not an option on the Roku yet.

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
User avatar
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering
 
Posts: 4565
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:21 pm

Re: Switching Netflix profiles?

Postby wwiihistory » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:34 pm

Thank you!
wwiihistory
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:09 pm

Re: Switching Netflix profiles?

Postby Emissary35 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:49 pm

The Roku device is NOT a priority to netflix. They are rolling out the profiles feature to all other devices but don't plan to do so for Roku until next year sometime. They give absolutely no reason for the long delay. If it can be added to all other devices within a few weeks of it becoming available on the site why is Roku being left behind? None of the people at customer service will tell you anything all you ever get from netflix is the polite company line but anything you report or complain about there falls on deaf ears. My advice, stop buying Roku's, if it's not a priority for major updates then it's probably a first step towards becoming an eventually extinct product. I'm glad I did not buy the new Roku 3 the Apple TV is the same price and it WILL have the netflix profiles as well as youtube. Something Roku will never have. Seems like all the company's don't think much of Roku at all, and as a user I'm getting fed up as well.
Emissary35
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon May 06, 2013 1:01 am

Re: Switching Netflix profiles?

Postby senorgregster » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:15 am

Emissary35 wrote:The Roku device is NOT a priority to netflix. They are rolling out the profiles feature to all other devices but don't plan to do so for Roku until next year sometime. They give absolutely no reason for the long delay. If it can be added to all other devices within a few weeks of it becoming available on the site why is Roku being left behind? None of the people at customer service will tell you anything all you ever get from netflix is the polite company line but anything you report or complain about there falls on deaf ears. My advice, stop buying Roku's, if it's not a priority for major updates then it's probably a first step towards becoming an eventually extinct product. I'm glad I did not buy the new Roku 3 the Apple TV is the same price and it WILL have the netflix profiles as well as youtube. Something Roku will never have. Seems like all the company's don't think much of Roku at all, and as a user I'm getting fed up as well.


Some major statements made in this post.

Where did you read Roku will never have YouTube?
Will AppleTV ever have Amazon?
Will one device ever have every channel everyone wants? Doubtful.
Extinct product? Boxee and alike perhaps, but the second best selling and most used device? That is a leap.
All companies don't think much of Roku? How do you even begin to know that?
I want profiles as much as others. Have to wait a while, so be it.
senorgregster
 
Posts: 884
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:36 am

Re: Switching Netflix profiles?

Postby Wakey » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:45 am

senorgregster wrote:Some major statements made in this post.

Where did you read Roku will never have YouTube?
Will AppleTV ever have Amazon?
Will one device ever have every channel everyone wants? Doubtful.
Extinct product? Boxee and alike perhaps, but the second best selling and most used device? That is a leap.
All companies don't think much of Roku? How do you even begin to know that?
I want profiles as much as others. Have to wait a while, so be it.


Isn't it the case that The Roku can't handle HTML5? If so Youtube will never come to the Roku as its a requirement that all YouTube applications are HTML5 based
Wakey
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:48 pm

Re: Switching Netflix profiles?

Postby senorgregster » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:51 am

Wakey wrote:
senorgregster wrote:Some major statements made in this post.

Where did you read Roku will never have YouTube?
Will AppleTV ever have Amazon?
Will one device ever have every channel everyone wants? Doubtful.
Extinct product? Boxee and alike perhaps, but the second best selling and most used device? That is a leap.
All companies don't think much of Roku? How do you even begin to know that?
I want profiles as much as others. Have to wait a while, so be it.


Isn't it the case that The Roku can't handle HTML5? If so Youtube will never come to the Roku as its a requirement that all YouTube applications are HTML5 based

“Youtube insists on using HTML5 for its UI. When you put that on our [old] Rokus, the picture didn’t move,” he said. The new Roku 3′s faster chip – it uses the same dual-core ARM Cortex-A9 used in the third-generation, 2012 version of the iPad – and revamped user interface enables YouTube now to “work acceptably well, though it’s not snappy,” Wood said.
Read more at http://www.business2community.com/tech- ... AU7mROi.99
senorgregster
 
Posts: 884
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:36 am

Re: Switching Netflix profiles?

Postby reddice » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:54 am

Wakey wrote:
senorgregster wrote:Some major statements made in this post.

Where did you read Roku will never have YouTube?
Will AppleTV ever have Amazon?
Will one device ever have every channel everyone wants? Doubtful.
Extinct product? Boxee and alike perhaps, but the second best selling and most used device? That is a leap.
All companies don't think much of Roku? How do you even begin to know that?
I want profiles as much as others. Have to wait a while, so be it.


Isn't it the case that The Roku can't handle HTML5? If so Youtube will never come to the Roku as its a requirement that all YouTube applications are HTML5 based


That's why the Netflix channel is not top priority either. I am pretty sure Netflix wants a HTML5 channel for the Roku but Roku does not want one. What is great about a HTML5 channel is that they can update the channel when you launch it without actually having to update the channel itself. They can add new features on the fly like they do with the PS3.
Earthlink Standard powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Cats are the best pets.
User avatar
reddice
 
Posts: 484
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:47 pm

Re: Switching Netflix profiles?

Postby senorgregster » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:47 am

reddice wrote:
Wakey wrote:
senorgregster wrote:Some major statements made in this post.

Where did you read Roku will never have YouTube?
Will AppleTV ever have Amazon?
Will one device ever have every channel everyone wants? Doubtful.
Extinct product? Boxee and alike perhaps, but the second best selling and most used device? That is a leap.
All companies don't think much of Roku? How do you even begin to know that?
I want profiles as much as others. Have to wait a while, so be it.


Isn't it the case that The Roku can't handle HTML5? If so Youtube will never come to the Roku as its a requirement that all YouTube applications are HTML5 based



That's why the Netflix channel is not top priority either. I am pretty sure Netflix wants a HTML5 channel for the Roku but Roku does not want one. What is great about a HTML5 channel is that they can update the channel when you launch it without actually having to update the channel itself. They can add new features on the fly like they do with the PS3.


Priority and time to implement are related but are two different things. We have no idea where Netflix's priorities are.
senorgregster
 
Posts: 884
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:36 am

Re: Switching Netflix profiles?

Postby mikeyts » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:09 am

If there are plans to go to the common Netflix UI (PS3 style), there's also the matter of creating a maintainable HTML5 execution environment and Webkit rendering engine port, which probably falls to Roku. Perhaps they've done it and are waiting for Netflix; perhaps it's the other way around. Perhaps there are many other factors that we can't know or understand.
User avatar
mikeyts
 
Posts: 1511
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:59 pm

Re: Switching Netflix profiles?

Postby reddice » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:12 am

If the Roku 3 can't handle HTML5 how come less powerful streaming boxes can. Of course I can't find crap anywhere about the actual specs of hardware anywhere.
Earthlink Standard powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Cats are the best pets.
User avatar
reddice
 
Posts: 484
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:47 pm

Re: Switching Netflix profiles?

Postby mikeyts » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:32 am

reddice wrote:If the Roku 3 can't handle HTML5 how come less powerful streaming boxes can. Of course I can't find crap anywhere about the actual specs of hardware anywhere.

Where has anyone said that it can't? In this post above senorgregster gives a link to an article wherein Roku founder and CEO Anthony Wood states that they've run HTML5 YouTube on Roku 3. He says that it's "not snappy" but the common Netflix UI isn't particularly snappy on many of the platforms it runs on.
User avatar
mikeyts
 
Posts: 1511
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:59 pm

Re: Switching Netflix profiles?

Postby baccusboy » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:24 am

I am disappointed with my Roku 2XS, because of the poor Netflix interface.

I purchased the Roku to replace my old/cheap RCA player from Wally World. But that old RCA player has a far superior Netflix interface, with the choice of Netflix kids, more options on screen, automatic show advance with countdown, more on-screen information about show specs, clip-style photos of episodes, etc.

Roku seriously needs to fix this Netflix menu issue, as it's starting to look really outdated. I no longer recommend Roku to my friends, because of this main issue.
baccusboy
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:41 pm

Re: Switching Netflix profiles?

Postby Gilgamesh » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:39 am

baccusboy wrote:I am disappointed with my Roku 2XS, because of the poor Netflix interface.

I purchased the Roku to replace my old/cheap RCA player from Wally World. But that old RCA player has a far superior Netflix interface, with the choice of Netflix kids, more options on screen, automatic show advance with countdown, more on-screen information about show specs, clip-style photos of episodes, etc.

Roku seriously needs to fix this Netflix menu issue, as it's starting to look really outdated. I no longer recommend Roku to my friends, because of this main issue.


More trolling! :P
Gilgamesh
 
Posts: 4912
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:29 am
Location: Dayton TN

Re: Switching Netflix profiles?

Postby reddice » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:15 pm

baccusboy wrote:I am disappointed with my Roku 2XS, because of the poor Netflix interface.

I purchased the Roku to replace my old/cheap RCA player from Wally World. But that old RCA player has a far superior Netflix interface, with the choice of Netflix kids, more options on screen, automatic show advance with countdown, more on-screen information about show specs, clip-style photos of episodes, etc.

Roku seriously needs to fix this Netflix menu issue, as it's starting to look really outdated. I no longer recommend Roku to my friends, because of this main issue.


I agree with you completely. I would have never wasted my money on the Roku if I knew the interface was that bad with no new features and looks like it is from 2009. This guy is not trolling. If you are within 30 days return it if it is used primary for Netflix as it won't get any better.
Earthlink Standard powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Cats are the best pets.
User avatar
reddice
 
Posts: 484
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:47 pm

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests