Roku 2xd loses signal with dolby digital plus

Moderators: RokuShawnS, RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Roku 2xd loses signal with dolby digital plus

Postby altbar » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:46 pm

I have added a roku 2xd to my denon 4308ci via a monster hdmi. I get picture and sound when the roku is set to "stereo" and any roku HD DDplus program iI get picture and two-channel sound.

When I change the roku to "surround" and change say a Netflix hd and DD+ program (I.e. house of cards) to DD+, I lose the signal. This also happens on VUDU and HBO go when trying to watch any program encoded with Dolby Digital.

My Denon amp plays DD, DD true, Dts, etc. perfectly with blu ray and DD with Verizon set top box.

I even had an installer from our local (excellent) sound and video retailer and he could not figure it out. We called roku and denon support and they were no help.

Any ideas?
altbar

Re: Roku 2xd loses signal with dolby digital plus

Postby Gilgamesh » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:57 pm

Looking at the specs for that receiver I do not see any reference the support for Dolby Digital plus. Plus is what Netflix uses for 5.1 on the Roku so if you set Netflix to 5.1 you will not get sound from your receiver.

I think the same goes for HboGo and Vudu.

As nice as that receiver is it just does not seem to be able to support plus.
Gilgamesh

Postby TheEndless » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:06 pm

Gilgamesh wrote:Looking at the specs for that receiver I do not see any reference the support for Dolby Digital plus.

That receiver definitely supports DD+. The manual here confirms that on page 43: http://usa.denon.com/DocumentMaster/US/ ... E_305A.pdf

altbar wrote:I have added a roku 2xd to my denon 4308ci via a monster hdmi. I get picture and sound when the roku is set to "stereo" and any roku HD DDplus program iI get picture and two-channel sound.

When I change the roku to "surround" and change say a Netflix hd and DD+ program (I.e. house of cards) to DD+, I lose the signal. This also happens on VUDU and HBO go when trying to watch any program encoded with Dolby Digital.

My Denon amp plays DD, DD true, Dts, etc. perfectly with blu ray and DD with Verizon set top box.

I even had an installer from our local (excellent) sound and video retailer and he could not figure it out. We called roku and denon support and they were no help.

Any ideas?

When you say you "lose the signal" do you mean you lose audio, or you lose the picture and audio? Have you tried a different HDMI port and/or a different HDMI cable? Does the display on the front of the Denon indicate that it's receiving the DD+ audio?
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Justin.tv (JUSTINTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Postby altbar » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:30 pm

Thanks for the quick replies. Some additional information:

1. The problem is caused by the roku and is not content specific. I switched to stereo on roku and was able to play boardwalk empire in stereo on hbo go. When I went back and switched the roku to surround and restarted boardwalk empire my tv went black and said "lost signal."

I then swapped my other roku 2xd from another room and the same problem.

2. The monster cable hdmi is ported to the VDP hdmi port on the denon.

Does the help?
altbar

Postby jeffrok » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:22 pm

If try a different hdmi cable, maybe one that's not outrageously priced .. Seriously, Monster HDMI cables are nothing special.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koy2eg1ioZ8&list=HL1380998604&feature=mh_lolz
jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion