Roku HD won't connect to local connection [Mediacom]

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Roku HD won't connect to local connection [Mediacom]

Postby terriho » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:19 am

I never had any issues with Roku HD until I switched cable company from Frontier to Mediacom. Prior to Medicom, my Roku was able to connect via WiFi with other providers. At the beginning, I thought maybe it was defective after trying everything as instructed on here and resetting the roku/wifi modem. I even messed around on the router IP address page by changing some of the settings. Still won't connect. It can find my wifi with SSiD though. I ended up returning the Roku and switched it for new one. Well turns out it wasn't my Roku that isn't defective! It's that <Force equals mass times acceleration> modem from Mediacom that possibly set up a bridge, blocking a way for Roku to access.

Can anyone give me any ideas of how to get it connected?

My Router is Hitron Technologies CGN2-RES.

Thanks in advanced,
Terri
terriho

Re: Roku HD won't connect to local connection [Mediacom]

Postby RickRansom » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:47 am

This is the closest I've found to local network and hitron. Hope that helps.
Retired
RickRansom

Postby cwniles » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:53 am

You may have better luck dealing directly with Mediacom as it sounds to be something specific with the modem.

They have a support forum, similar to Roku's, that you can find here. http://mediacomcable.com/CustomerSupport/forum/index.php?board=4.0

Ironically, the manufacturers info page for this particular modem actually shows a Roku connected via wireless in their system schematic. http://www.hitron-americas.com/products/cgn-2/

one thing I noticed is supposedly that modem has a "dual broadcast" sort of thing going on and actually should be broadcasting two different SSID's.....I don't know if it would a difference but have you noticed that it is broadcasting two and if so, have you tried connecting to both?
Roku 2 XS>HDMI>Denon AVR-361>HDMI>Samsung 2333HD
Scientific Atlanta Cable Modem DPC2100R2 >Dynex DX-E402 Router (no wifi)
USB>Seagate Barracuda 7200 SATA 1TB in dock.
Roku S/N 13A16H000141
cwniles

Postby RickRansom » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:06 am

Well, that's one pretty diagram. Looks like it should work then.

Retired
RickRansom

Postby terriho » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:33 am

cwniles wrote:You may have better luck dealing directly with Mediacom as it sounds to be something specific with the modem.

They have a support forum, similar to Roku's, that you can find here. http://mediacomcable.com/CustomerSupport/forum/index.php?board=4.0

Ironically, the manufacturers info page for this particular modem actually shows a Roku connected via wireless in their system schematic. http://www.hitron-americas.com/products/cgn-2/

one thing I noticed is supposedly that modem has a "dual broadcast" sort of thing going on and actually should be broadcasting two different SSID's.....I don't know if it would a difference but have you noticed that it is broadcasting two and if so, have you tried connecting to both?

It does have two SSiDs - the one I currently use and the other one is "guest". I noticed it when I was on the admin page for the router.
The "guest" is not active, I assume judging from the option disabled to try make changes for that. It doesn't even send out a signal at all but it may be private? I did try connecting Roku with that "guest" SSiD but it didn't work as I don't have the password for it or the current password I use for my current SSiD .
Last edited by terriho on Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
terriho

Postby terriho » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:35 am

RickRansom wrote:This is the closest I've found to local network and hitron. Hope that helps.

I'm gonna try that and will get back to you if it worked or not. Thanks guys!
terriho

Postby terriho » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:03 am

RickRansom wrote:This is the closest I've found to local network and hitron. Hope that helps.

That link didn't work for me at all. I went over to the mediacom help site and they weren't much of a help. They said it's likely the Roku software issue.
Which I disagree because I went to the store yesterday to switch it for a new one and tested the new roku at a friends house who has Frontier.... it connected fine. However, it still won't connect my mediacom router.
terriho

Postby Gilgamesh » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:09 am

It kind of sounds like your router is not configured to respond to pings. You can try to configure it to respond to LAN side pings or you can try disabling pings in your Roku.

At the main menu press: (Be sure to use the ff, rw and play keys not the keypad direction keys)
Home Button 5 times
FF 1 time
Play 1 time
RW 1 time
Play 1 time
FF 1 time

Then from that menu select "Disable network pings"

Then report back with the results.
Gilgamesh

Postby terriho » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:22 am

I did that - I got it from this http://rokuhowto.blogspot.com/2013/05/the-dreaded-error-code-014-solution-3.html

You must get the latest software - if my previous suggestions did not work, try these steps:

Force a Software Update: On your Roku remote:
Press the Home button 5 times
Press the Fast Forward button 3 times
Press Rewind button 2 times
You will get an unusual screen known as the 'secret screen'. There you have to check your IP address that it is not all 0's. Select the option to update software. The Roku player should now restart.

Disable Pingback: Once the Roku completes the setup, enter the following on your Roku remote:
Press the Home button 5 times
Press the Fast Forward button 1 time
Press the Play button 1 time
Press the Rewind button 1 time
Press the Play button 1 time
Press the Fast Forward button 1 time
This will take you to the another secret screen. Select the option to disable network ping.

I can't get past the first one. I was able to access the secret screen but the IP address shows 0.0.0.0 and i tried the software update, which it wont because of no network connection.
terriho

Postby Gilgamesh » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:24 am

Then simply enable LAN side pings in your Router.
Gilgamesh

Postby RickRansom » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:25 am

Just to double-check:
- You're connecting the Roku player to the main wireless network, not the guest one, right?
- Did you enter the right network key? Those things are case sensitive.
- Can you try moving the Roku unit around, make sure it's getting a good signal?
- Have you tried changing the wireless channel on your router? Channel 1 or 11 will usually do the trick.
- How about disabling the wireless security on your router, can you try that?
Retired
RickRansom

Postby terriho » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:31 am

Gilgamesh wrote:Then simply enable LAN side pings in your Router.

That's the thing I have problem with, It says it is enabled... at least that's what I think it is. Here is the screenshot of it:
terriho

Postby terriho » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:35 am

RickRansom wrote:Just to double-check:
- You're connecting the Roku player to the main wireless network, not the guest one, right?
- Can you try moving the Roku unit around, make sure it's getting a good signal?
- Have you tried changing the wireless channel on your router? Channel 1 or 11 will usually do the trick.

I'm connected to the main wireless network, with right password. The guest seems to be inactive and it's not broadcasted as well.

I moved Roku around several times, still no good.

I didn't think to change the wireless channel - it's set on Auto. I'll try the 1, then 11. I'll get back to you on that one.

Ive tried disabling the wireless security to see if it connects, nope.
terriho

Postby terriho » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:39 am

RickRansom wrote:Just to double-check:

The 2 SSiD I was talking about eariler, here is the screen shot. I change my SSiD on there for privacy reason but didnt apply it.
terriho

Postby terriho » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:48 am

The channel 1 and 11 didn't work. I also tried 6 and 9 too. Still nothing.
terriho

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion