M-Go on Roku

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Re: M-Go on Roku

Postby beq » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:53 am

__5 wrote:^
- Admin creates (& edit) up to 5 profiles (including his/her), my guess … via web browser (not roku). That’s 5-email address (w/ 5passwords & 5PINs) to log-in on roku.
- 5 devices per account - unlink/link once every 90 days (3 max per a year) – a device to one account (not multiple acc).
- I think, all 5 devices/profiles should be able to stream simultaneously..

Thanks for the info! So 5 devices total like VUDU, but with even more restrictions on swapping devices, that's disappointing to me :cry: What's more they claim you must unlink a device from that device itself, so no central unlink management from the site.

I do wonder if the 5 device limit counts computer/iPad browser access, or only other devices (smart TV apps, Android/Google TV apps, future Roku)?

Would be awesome if the limit is 5 devices per profile instead of per account. Or that Roku's special revenue-sharing arrangement with M-GO means that Roku devices are not counted as part of the device limit. I can dream...

P.S. Do you know by any chance if there are similar device limits with Target's Ticket (the other new UV service that also supports multiple user profiles, although it doesn't hide library duplicates like M-GO).
beq

Postby knuckle » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:38 am

While testing Target Ticket any one particular title would play on a single device at a time but had no dificulty streaming seperate titles to 3 devices (all rokus) on the same account at the same time and the resume from devices worked very well -- haven't checked it out since it went public tho and I don't own any blu-ray titles so it might be different
ROKU 1 XD J0A113014862
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
Roku TV
all running wireless on a actiontec C2000A
knuckle
** Valued Community Member **

Postby __5 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:51 am

beq wrote: P.S. Do you know by any chance if there are similar device limits with Target's Ticket ..

It supports up to 20 profiles. but that’s all I know about it... :)
__5

Postby beq » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:08 pm

Thanks for all the info. I wonder why services like VUDU and M-GO are pressured by studios to limit to 5 devices while other stores have no such limit...

With VUDU you're at least allowed to open two accounts linking to the same UV library (to essentially double the device limit, except for Disney and other non-UV titles which would still be segregated in one account or the other).

But I don't think even this will be an option for M-GO on the Roku because it will be directly integrated via Roku billing. So I'm guessing that all boxes under the same Roku account must all necessarily link to one M-GO account as well? So if you have, say 6 boxes under the same Roku account, I assume the 6th box will not be able to access the new "Movies" and "TV Shows" tabs in the Roku menu at all??
beq

Postby __5 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:41 am

Seems like new content owners restrictions. I noticed Netflix site replaced single unlink option w/ unlink all. Not sure what this all about? …

If no account needed to browse M-GO, probably the 6th box 'd access the new "Movies & TV" ( just no rental w/o 2nd acc).
__5

Postby dv8ball » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:07 pm

HD titles 720p encodes – 5.1 audio (AAC other devices transcode to 5.1 PCM), not sure of roku output?

After some tests on a Roku 2 and Roku 3, M-Go actually supports 1080p for HD and 5.1 Dolby Digital+ pass through to compatible recievers. M-Go like all the other services use adaptive bitrate streaming technology to get the best result based on your available bandwidth. I have a 15Mbps cable connection and the quality is incredible.
dv8ball

Postby mikeyts » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:37 pm

dv8ball wrote:
HD titles 720p encodes – 5.1 audio (AAC other devices transcode to 5.1 PCM), not sure of roku output?

After some tests on a Roku 2 and Roku 3, M-Go actually supports 1080p for HD and 5.1 Dolby Digital+ pass through to compatible recievers. M-Go like all the other services use adaptive bitrate streaming technology to get the best result based on your available bandwidth. I have a 15Mbps cable connection and the quality is incredible.

What sort of tests? One of their support pages (under the heading "Playback Grades and Recommended Connection Speeds") implies that their HD product is 720p for which they suggest a minimum connection speed of 3 Mbps. I had no way of testing the average bit rate of the stream but I watched Pacific Rim and it certainly seemed like 1080p (with bitstreamed DD+ sound). The quality was, as you say, excellent.

I used to routinely check these things out using the bandwidth monitor in my router in which I'd installed the Tomato open source firmware (a venerable old Linksys WRT54G). It belonged to my housemate/landlord, who took it when he moved out. I bought a inexpensive ASUS RT-N16 to replace it, with the intention of installing some Tomato variant in it but haven't gotten around to it yet. It'd be nice if M-GO would give some indication of bandwidth usage during playback, like VUDU and Blockbuster (and Netflix on other platforms).
mikeyts

Postby __5 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:17 pm

dv8ball wrote:

Hi,
This was posted before M-Go release, btw.

Yes, M-Go 5.1 audio in 5.1DD+
Curios, how did you determine M-Go supports 1080p encodes? (keeping in mind roku upscale video signals to 1080p)
__5

Postby hearrean » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:45 pm

Folks:

I received an informative e-mail advertising M-Go a few days ago. It shows up as an ad even when I turn my Roku on. But nowhere can I figure out how to access it. The e-mail I received says in the fine print that it will be available 11/25/13 (today), but still the same thing; no way to access it. There is a sign-in screen where you can enter your M-Go sign-on info & when I go to that page, it automatically has my e-mail address already there. (So I assumed that it would be the same info as my regular Roku account with password. But when I enter my regular Roku password, it says no such account exists. There was a message saying something about entering the data in the promotional e-mail I received, but the only info in that e-mail was just talking about the new M-Go service. I tried calling tech support, but that was an absolute joke!! The guy hadn't even heard of M-Go & kept putting me on hold to find answers.
Does anyone know if this is activated yet & if so, how to access it?

Ken
hearrean

Postby Tivoburkee » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:57 pm

Through the roku, attempt to rent or buy a movie from M-GO, than you enter the password and activate your account.
Tivoburkee

Postby hearrean » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:24 pm

Tivoburkee wrote:Through the roku, attempt to rent or buy a movie from M-GO, than you enter the password and activate your account.

After I do that, will the (2) free movies they are advertising be added to my account somehow?

Ken
hearrean

Postby Tivoburkee » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:26 pm

Yes, for the first two rentals you won't be charged.
Tivoburkee

Postby hearrean » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:39 pm

Interestingly enough, I contacted M-Go tech support today (not Roku because I wanted to hear direct from the source) & asked if their service streamed in DD 5.1 & was told no; only 2-channel stereo. Why is it then that I see posted in this thread that it does stream DD 5.1? Which is correct? I ask this because their choice of selections shown available look to be very good & stated to be in HD. But I cannot imagine watching any HD movie encoded in only 2-channel stereo, regardless of the rental price.

Ken
hearrean

Postby mikeyts » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:56 pm

hearrean wrote:Interestingly enough, I contacted M-Go tech support today (not Roku because I wanted to hear direct from the source) & asked if their service streamed in DD 5.1 & was told no; only 2-channel stereo. Why is it then that I see posted in this thread that it does stream DD 5.1? Which is correct? I ask this because their choice of selections shown available look to be very good & stated to be in HD. But I cannot imagine watching any HD movie encoded in only 2-channel stereo, regardless of the rental price.

Phone CSRs are often quite ignorant. Believe me, M-GO sound is DD+ 5.1 if you have surround sound enabled in your Roku options. I know because if I ask my AVR what it's getting while playing an M-GO title it tells me that it's DD+ 5.1 sound.

EDIT: Apparently not all M-GO titles have 5.1 sound. I just tried watching The Sapphires, a film on which I squandered one of my four freebies (I got two by signing up and they sent me codes for two more two weeks later when I failed to use the service; I say "squandered" because two days after I rented The Sapphires it it was added to Netflix's library :roll:). My AVR says that its sound is 2 channel PCM containing Pro-Logic surround info. The version on Netflix is 5.1 so that's where I'll be watching it, rubbing salt into the wound of the wasted freebie :cry:. I started watching The Conjuring, another of my freebies, and the AVR says that its sound is DD+ 5.1. Pacific Rim, the first film I watched on M-GO, was also in DD+ 5.1.

Unlike Netflix, Amazon, VUDU or Blockbuster, there's nothing to indicate whether a title has 5.1 sound or not--caveat emptor.
mikeyts

Postby beq » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:43 pm

Finally getting around to linking some of our Roku's to M-GO. Looks great, just waiting for CC.

Interestingly they don't yet appear to enforce the 5 device limit for Roku boxes (just like with EPIX). Not sure if it has to do with the boxes being on the same Roku account or not. Perhaps I should finish registering the rest of our boxes with M-GO as quickly as I can get to them, before the situation changes?
beq

PreviousNext

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion