HBO Go - Not working

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

HBO Go - Not working

Postby nemov » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:51 pm

Channel name: HBO GO
Channel version: 1.11 Build 151
What is the issue being reported? The app loads find. When I make a selection it loads up the first screen with the rating. When the program starts to load it just hangs up.
What are the steps to reproduce?: It does it every time.
Is it reproducible (how many times out of 5 does this happen)? Everytime
What is the serial number of the box? (Found on the bottom of the unit labeled ‘SERIAL NO’ and in Settings -> About, ‘Serial number’.): 12C27X)31154
What software version is the box running? 5.1 build 1195

MY IP is FiOs. I also connected the Roku box to my WiFi hotspot and I had the exact same problem so I don't think it's the internet.
nemov

Re: HBO Go - Not working

Postby mikebdoss » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:00 pm

nemov wrote:Channel name: HBO GO
What is the issue being reported? The app loads find. When I make a selection it loads up the first screen with the rating. When the program starts to load it just hangs up.
What is the serial number of the box? (Found on the bottom of the unit labeled ‘SERIAL NO’ and in Settings -> About, ‘Serial number’.): 12C27X)31154

MY IP is FiOs. I also connected the Roku box to my WiFi hotspot and I had the exact same problem so I don't think it's the internet.

Do other channels work? That'll help determine if it's an internet problem or an HBOGo problem. If other channels work, you may want to delete the channel and resinstall and reboot the box, see if those solve the issue.
mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Postby nemov » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:33 pm

mikebdoss wrote:
nemov wrote:Channel name: HBO GO

Do other channels work? That'll help determine if it's an internet problem or an HBOGo problem. If other channels work, you may want to delete the channel and resinstall and reboot the box, see if those solve the issue.

Yes, the other channels work. I uninstalled/reinstalled the channel and reset the box. Problem still persists.
nemov

Postby mikebdoss » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:49 pm

The problem, then, is most likely with HBOGo itself, or with one of the dozen or so computers on the internet between you and their content delivery network. You might be able to solve your problem by changing router's DNS settings (to use OpenDNS or Google DNS), which can possibly bypass the slow link in your connection. Otherwise, perhaps contact your ISP and ask if they can diagnose the issue.
mikebdoss

Postby nemov » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:04 pm

mikebdoss wrote:The problem, then, is most likely with HBOGo itself, or with one of the dozen or so computers on the internet between you and their content delivery network. You might be able to solve your problem by changing router's DNS settings (to use OpenDNS or Google DNS), which can possibly bypass the slow link in your connection. Otherwise, perhaps contact your ISP and ask if they can diagnose the issue.

As I mentioned before I switched between Verizon FiOs and Verizon 4GLTE (through my phone). Same issue and other channels work fine. It must be on HBO GO's end. Anyone know how to reach their developers?
nemov

Postby mikebdoss » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:29 pm

nemov wrote:
mikebdoss wrote:The problem, then, is most likely with HBOGo itself, or with one of the dozen or so computers on the internet between you and their content delivery network. You might be able to solve your problem by changing router's DNS settings (to use OpenDNS or Google DNS), which can possibly bypass the slow link in your connection. Otherwise, perhaps contact your ISP and ask if they can diagnose the issue.

As I mentioned before I switched between Verizon FiOs and Verizon 4GLTE (through my phone). Same issue and other channels work fine. It must be on HBO GO's end. Anyone know how to reach their developers?

As far as I know, they just have a general email box. But it's likely not on the development end as much as the CDN side of things, and most likely it's a link between you and them that's bad, not HBO's servers themselves (otherwise, everyone would be having this issue).
mikebdoss

Postby nemov » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:20 pm

It's been weeks and I'm still having the same issue. Odd that I have no problem accessing content through my mobile devices on the same WiFi network. I've sent an email to HBO GO support, but I'm not very hopeful that they'll resolve this.
nemov

Postby cb2367 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:44 am

I am also having problems with HBO Go. I actually have a list of issues with this channel. I've been in contact with Roku support, but they have indicated I need to get in contact with my cable provider because of a message I am getting. I don't know if Roku support is looking into this on their end as well.

1. The channel will not load at all -- a 'please wait' message is displayed.

2. If I can get the channel to load, the image previews for the content take a long time to load

3. If the channel loads and all the image previews load, then I have a problem with not being able to play a desired video. I've used the directional pad to make a selection and when I press the OK button, nothing happens.

4. I've briefly had the HBO channel working to the point where the selected video will play. The HBO intro video will play, and then it goes back to the loading screen to load the video in HD. It is at this point where after several minutes of trying to load the video, a message is displayed stating 'this video is currently unavailable, we are working to resolve the issue.' This is the reason why Roku has indicated I need to get in contact with my cable provider.

5. I've had to frequently re-activate the HBO channel

HBO has consistently been the only channel that does not work, and in fact has had issues since I got the Roku player. My WiFi download speed occasionally gets really slow because of the layout of my home, but it doesn't seem to be an issue for other channels.
cb2367

Postby RokuShawnS » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:10 pm

cb2367 wrote:I've been in contact with Roku support

Do you have a case number with Roku support? If you didn't write it down, you can alternately PM me with the email address you used for the support case, and I can look into it. Also PM your Roku serial number in case I need that too.

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby cb2367 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:21 pm

I updated the firmware to 5.2. HBO still does not work. Not getting any updates from my cable TV provider other than they have escalated the issue to their engineering department.
cb2367

Postby cb2367 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:27 am

HBO Go is STILL not working. In the past two weeks, I've had HBO working just twice. I now have a new issue to add to the list of problems I am having with HBO. I am getting a 'page does not exist' message on everything I try to select.

Roku support has referred me to my cable provider and my cable provider seems to think that this is a Roku issue, so I am now stuck in a loop with no support available.
cb2367

Postby tybroughton » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:48 am

I have been experiencing this same problem for months now and it still hasn't been fixed/corrected to date. Initial Roku support case no : 2455057. I have also had ongoing email support engagements with HBOGO as well...same thing as most describe....Roku says its an HBO problem, HBO says its a Roku problem.

I have solid internet connection (12-18Mbps) as no other channels have any issues streaming. Also, on my desktop HBOGO works perfectly via the same internet connection. Though HOB support email conversation, they say that this issue is known, however it doesn't appear to be affecting a high amount of Roku users.

I have followed all suggested support steps including: uninstalling roku channel, power cycling Roku box, checking for Roku system update (latest firmware already installed), download/install HBO Roku channel & authenticate, repeat this process multiple times over the past months. The issue still persists and I am really frustrated.

Please Help Roku!
tybroughton

Postby RokuShawnS » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:09 pm

I read over your case number. From the information provided, it looks like two possibilities, neither of which Roku has much control over.

1. An internet/routing issue, in which case you may want to try changing your DNS to OpenDNS or GoogleDNS;
2. An issue with your authentication with HBO, which would require support from their end.

I can't really see anything else in the case where we'd be able to help, unfortunately.

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion