How does the Disney Channel work?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

How does the Disney Channel work?

Postby TStevens » Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:42 pm

Trying/Hoping to get my daughter's favourite Disney shows on out TV without over-spending for cable or satellite service. What is the Roku Disney channel? Seems like it just shows clips of the TV shows. How do I get full episodes of those TV shows???
TStevens

Re: How does the Disney Channel work?

Postby Gilgamesh » Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:08 pm

If I remember correctly the Disney channel contains only previews and adds for Disney's shows. I don't think it has any, or at least very few, full shows.

When it was released it lasted less than a day on my Rokus.
Gilgamesh

Postby TStevens » Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:43 pm

What a waste. They have kid enjoyable, safe shows and could make some money if they offered it to viewers the way Netflix and Hulu Plus.
TStevens

Postby beq » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:29 pm

Agree.

I remember trying Ameba, Toon Goggles and BabyFirstTV subscriptions on the Roku (there's no Kabillion Roku channel yet) -- but my family's kids didn't seem to take much to them as I recall. Perhaps they just needed to get acclimated to those lesser-known shows and characters...

Kids are definitely more exposed to Disney and Nickelodeon stuff, too bad neither has a (real) Roku offering.

At least there's PBS Kids which is even free, and our kids are somewhat familiar with.
beq

Postby TBDave » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:03 am

Netflix has a ton of Disney shows. Obviously not the current season episodes. But you can find past seasons of most Disney Channel series. They've got Jessie, Shake It Up, Crash & Bernstien, Good Luck Charlie, Phineas & Ferb, Kickin' It, Lab Rats, Wizards of Waverly Place, Hannah Montana, ANT Farm, Suite Life, Pair of Kings, Mr. Young, My Babysitter's a Vampire, and a lot of the Disney Junior cartoons.
TBDave

Postby beq » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:51 am

^ Too bad Netflix on Roku still hasn't made the Just For Kids interface available over the years (my current understanding is that Netflix and Roku are now skipping over that and jumping straight to implementing User Profiles in the next few months, which would be good).

My family members have complained that it's awkward for them and the kids to have to parse through all the grown-up stuff on the Netflix home screen...

Sorry for beating a dead horse :( It's just that the topic came up in this thread (which to me seems to be in the context of wanting a "kids" channel)...
beq

Postby mastermesh » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:32 am

PBS kids is great. Kidlet used to be, but think they went to a subscription model? Other channels mentioned in this thread are good for kids too. Not exactly kids stuff, but don't forget some of the anime channels too.
http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=46566&p=359897#p359897 -channel lists/tools
http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=63553&p=409506#p409506 -fta
http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=64096 -linear channels
mastermesh

Postby krisbee » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:04 am

I actually like this channel because it has ACTUAL Disney content from when I was a kid - lots of cartoons, plus park infomercials, which being a WDW nut, I enjoy.

It doesn't get updated often enough for me, though. I wish they'd have a channel of old Wonderful World of Color shows - they can make it ad sponsored or paid, I would watch either way.
krisbee

Postby Rahabib » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:35 am

Theres a section called "classic disney" or "classic cartoons" or something that has full length (6-7 minutes) of old school mickey mouse cartoons in them that are great for kids and there is a "play all" so you don't have to play remote jockey for the kids.

but yea, all the other sections are clips and ads.
Rahabib

Postby vnazario » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:22 pm

The existing Disney channel is more comprised of clips, trailers and podcasts. However, a new "official" Disney, Disney Jr. and Disney XD channels will be coming to Roku later this month. Check out Roku's blog with the news. ESPN channel launched today and a Disney channel is in the works. The bad news is that you must provide an authorized cable provider user id and password. Like you do now with HBOGo, the new ESPN channel and FoxNow channels. Don't know if there will be any free access for us "cord-cutters" that do not pay for tv.
vnazario

(2) Roku2 XS,Roku 1(New),Logitech Revue Google TV,Raspberry Pi+XBMC,Mac Mini HTPC-EyeTV DVR+Rabbit TV+PLEX+XBMC,TiVo Premier,Wii,PS3,Sony Blu Ray w/ streaming apps,Equiso Android TV
Local TV: QAM from ISP coax line. PLEX+unsupported plug-ins.
vnazario

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion