Nowhere USB [Private Channel]

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Re: Nowhere USB [Private Channel]

Postby TheEndless » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:57 pm

arcball wrote:Just lost AUDIO on known working MKV files this week:

I have been using my Roku 2 and nowhereman's USB for about year now and all my mkv files have played with Audio and Video, now suddenly after not using it in 3 days I can no longer get any of the same mkv files to play anymore,

I've always used the same 500GB WD Passport USB drive, the Mkv files I just watched successfully last week and months earlier that I know worked suddenly no longer play with audio (video only), it's like some black magic update over night killed it, is there a Roku system update? I'd say it can't be a Nowhere USB channel update since I did try Roku's player and same issue there suddenly as well, anyone else having the same trouble suddenly and found a Solution? mp4 files work fine, just not MKVs

the strange thing I did notice also coinciding with the loss of audio is that now in nowhere USB is that my drive used to be seen as "unknown", now it says "WD Passport"

thanks
Dave

Make sure your Roku is still set to surround sound (Settings->Audio mode->Surround sound). The recent firmware update reset that to stereo for some users. When set to stereo, files that only have 5.1 audio will not play audio.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Justin.tv (JUSTINTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Postby arcball » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:34 pm

TheEndless wrote:
arcball wrote:Just lost AUDIO on known working MKV files this week:

Make sure your Roku is still set to surround sound (Settings->Audio mode->Surround sound). The recent firmware update reset that to stereo for some users. When set to stereo, files that only have 5.1 audio will not play audio.

Thank you "TheEndless" that worked as you said! to think I spent all last night trial and error messing with settings in screen screens, the audio was one I didn't touch or even think to because I only have a left/right speaker so I thought Stereo was the way to go, shows seeking a 2nd opinion pays, lesson learned

thanks again
Dave
arcball

Postby olblueyez » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:54 am

Hello Everyone!

I added the USB channel a couple of years ago. It worked great. I put mp4's on a 16GB Corsair Voyager that is closer to 10 years old than not and it worked well as long as the files were encoded properly. This also worked on a few cheap thumbdrives I had laying around as well.

Fast-Forward to about a month ago and my Corsair Flash Drive began to give up the ghost. 1/2 the memory became unavailable and files disappearing etc.

Sooooooooo,,...

I went out Yesterday and bought a Lexar M10 16GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive and it works fine with my Blew-Ray, Pioneer TV, Computer, Router,,...But my Roku XR will not recognize that Flash Drive no matter what I do. Its driving me nuts.

:(
olblueyez

Postby olblueyez » Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:38 pm

O-M-G,,... I was using a USB extension from a Logitech mouse and the cable was bad!!! So I plugged in another one like it from an even older mouse and its working great now. :D
olblueyez

Postby jagnth » Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:30 pm

This worked for me.
Making sure your set to 'surround' in your Roku player settings still applies if playing video streams with 5.1.
I wasn't even aware of the setting, just installed the app today and wasn't able to get sound from a particular video file. This thread is the first link i clicked on. :D
jagnth

Postby JCK » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:11 pm

Anyway to order music played in slideshow or skip forward to next song?
JCK

Previous

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion