MKV with SRT subtitles - Direct Play?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

MKV with SRT subtitles - Direct Play?

Postby theuser86 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:03 am

Question for the experts,

I have an MKV with H.264 video, AAC audio, and SRT subtitles. Using the newest Plex server and channel, the Roku will Direct Play MKV if I do not turn on the subtitles. However, if I select the subtitles, Plex starts transcoding the video and my CPU load jumps to 100% constantly. I have a quad core 2.4 GHz so it can handle it, but I would rather not transcode the video just for subtitles, it's an excessive load for over 2 hours.

I thought the Roku natively supports SRT subtitles? If so, why can't it Direct Play the MKV?

Thanks!
theuser86
 
Posts: 961
Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:56 pm

Re: MKV with SRT subtitles - Direct Play?

Postby RokuShawnS » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:11 pm

theuser86 wrote:Question for the experts,

I have an MKV with H.264 video, AAC audio, and SRT subtitles. Using the newest Plex server and channel, the Roku will Direct Play MKV if I do not turn on the subtitles. However, if I select the subtitles, Plex starts transcoding the video and my CPU load jumps to 100% constantly. I have a quad core 2.4 GHz so it can handle it, but I would rather not transcode the video just for subtitles, it's an excessive load for over 2 hours.

I thought the Roku natively supports SRT subtitles? If so, why can't it Direct Play the MKV?

Thanks!


Yes, embedded SRTs are supported for MKV files. However, we've discovered a bug that prevents them from displaying (thus, Plex is transcoding the file). I don't have an ETA on when a fix will be put in place, however.

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
User avatar
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering
 
Posts: 4632
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:21 pm

Re: MKV with SRT subtitles - Direct Play?

Postby theuser86 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:02 pm

Thanks for the update, glad to know it will eventually work. Do you know if the Roku will also support other formats? Like .sub?
theuser86
 
Posts: 961
Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:56 pm

Re: MKV with SRT subtitles - Direct Play?

Postby RokuShawnS » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:33 pm

theuser86 wrote:Thanks for the update, glad to know it will eventually work. Do you know if the Roku will also support other formats? Like .sub?


I don't have any information on that. I'll make a note to ask after the holidays.

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
User avatar
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering
 
Posts: 4632
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:21 pm

Re: MKV with SRT subtitles - Direct Play?

Postby theuser86 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:18 pm

Just to confirm, I just have to wait and this will eventually get fixed with a Roku firmware update? And it's not an issue with Plex that I have to post to their forums about? Thanks!
theuser86
 
Posts: 961
Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:56 pm

Re: MKV with SRT subtitles - Direct Play?

Postby RokuShawnS » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:21 pm

We've already notified Plex.

And yes, it'll be fixed in a firmware update, but I'm not sure when that's going to happen.

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
User avatar
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering
 
Posts: 4632
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:21 pm

Re: MKV with SRT subtitles - Direct Play?

Postby theuser86 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:31 pm

RokuShawnS, does the new Roku 5.3 update fix this issue? Thanks!
theuser86
 
Posts: 961
Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:56 pm

Re: MKV with SRT subtitles - Direct Play?

Postby RokuShawnS » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:46 pm

I don't believe so, but I'll double-check tonight.

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
User avatar
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering
 
Posts: 4632
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:21 pm

Re: MKV with SRT subtitles - Direct Play?

Postby theuser86 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:19 am

Reporting my testing: MKV with H.264 video, 2.0 AAC audio and embedded SRT subtitle file on Roku 3 v5.3 - when set to DirectPlay on Plex with the SRT selected, Plex just crashes when I hit play. No SRT selected, DirectPlay works just fine.

So looks like it hasn't been fixed yet. Thanks for adding all the other subtitle features though.
theuser86
 
Posts: 961
Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:56 pm

Re: MKV with SRT subtitles - Direct Play?

Postby chikavelja » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:34 am

RokuShawnS wrote:I don't believe so, but I'll double-check tonight.

C. Shawn Smith


Is there any ETA on this subtitles issue? I'm guessing this one is the same issue like mine, my subtitles suddenly stopped working (after the update). I tried finding the captions menu but it it not there. I do not understand how come some users have it and I do not. Can you please help me?
chikavelja
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:53 am

Re: MKV with SRT subtitles - Direct Play?

Postby RokuShawnS » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:45 am

The issue you're describing is different. The issue in this thread is the native Roku support for SRT subtitles, causing Plex (and other personal media channels) to have to transcode MKV files with SRT subtitles, instead of Direct Playing them.

You should start a separate thread about your issue. Please be very specific with describing the problem so we can better help you.

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
User avatar
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering
 
Posts: 4632
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:21 pm

Re: MKV with SRT subtitles - Direct Play?

Postby ezingano » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:56 am

chikavelja wrote:Is there any ETA on this subtitles issue? I'm guessing this one is the same issue like mine, my subtitles suddenly stopped working (after the update). I tried finding the captions menu but it it not there. I do not understand how come some users have it and I do not. Can you please help me?


Regarding the Caption menu not showing up, are you in a country that is supported by Roku? If you are not, the menu won't be displayed for you.
That is the case with me, since I'm in Brazil.

I wish I could understand better why Roku blocks features that are not a big deal (like setting the clock on the device or using the soft captions feature) for users outside of the supported area.

I am using Plex with the Transcoding option, so most of the captions display (but I can't get rid of my PC as Plex server and move to my NAS like I intended) fine.

Hope it helps.

Cheers.
ezingano
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:22 am

Re: MKV with SRT subtitles - Direct Play?

Postby RokuShawnS » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:39 am

ezingano wrote:
chikavelja wrote:Is there any ETA on this subtitles issue? I'm guessing this one is the same issue like mine, my subtitles suddenly stopped working (after the update). I tried finding the captions menu but it it not there. I do not understand how come some users have it and I do not. Can you please help me?


Regarding the Caption menu not showing up, are you in a country that is supported by Roku? If you are not, the menu won't be displayed for you.
That is the case with me, since I'm in Brazil.

I wish I could understand better why Roku blocks features that are not a big deal (like setting the clock on the device or using the soft captions feature) for users outside of the supported area.

I am using Plex with the Transcoding option, so most of the captions display (but I can't get rid of my PC as Plex server and move to my NAS like I intended) fine.

Hope it helps.

Cheers.


All users should be seeing the closed caption setup screen now, including international units.

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
User avatar
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering
 
Posts: 4632
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:21 pm

Re: MKV with SRT subtitles - Direct Play?

Postby theuser86 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:36 pm

RokuShawnS, any update on when this is going to be fixed? Thanks!
theuser86
 
Posts: 961
Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:56 pm

Re: MKV with SRT subtitles - Direct Play?

Postby RokuShawnS » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:47 pm

The next major update, I believe.

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
User avatar
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering
 
Posts: 4632
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:21 pm

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: clocks, tkfan75 and 18 guests