New Netflix Version - Missing Features (downgrade)

Discussions about Roku products, channels, and Roku-related topics.

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

New Netflix Version - Missing Features (downgrade)

Postby haroldskilley » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:20 am

Honestly, the new Netflix seems sort of dumbed down, and is is missing a lot of really useful features from the previous version. Am I the only one that thinks this?
Here is a list of things I think the new Netflix interface really misses on:

(1) The movie/TV titles squares are way too small. They need to be at least slightly bigger. Their small size has really slowed down the interface. You see a little movie title, and then have to wait a few seconds to load up the big picture above. Slow.... Aren't Google and Apple trying to speed all of their apps up? Netflix seems like it is going the route of Samsung and is bloating theirs up, and losing functionality. Not every TV used to watch Netflix is a 50 inch screen (bedroom TVs).

(2) Navigating sideways through the titles doesn't display a number. On many of the other Roku channels, you are given a number to know where you are at in the list (example 25 out of 57 total). Not so in the new Netflix interface. There is no number. You just have to remember and guess if the list is cycling through again.

(3) No more "More Titles Like This" option. This is huge. Before you could hit the asterisk (or "star") key on the Roku Remote, and get an option for "More Titles Like This". This feature is now gone, which is a big loss of functionality. Now if you see a Movie you like, you have no way of finding similar titles. Also, you can't hit the same key as a shortcut to add movies to your "list". You have to take the additional step of clicking on the Movie and having the next page load up first, in order to add it to your list.

Maybe others don't care about these missing features....?
haroldskilley

Re: New Netflix Version - Missing Features (downgrade)

Postby mikeyts » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:04 am

Hey man, Netflix says:
More than a year and half in the making, this new experience evolved through a process of design exploration, iteration and testing that extended throughout all parts of the Netflix TV experience. We set out to deliver an update that would make it even easier to discover something great to watch and we think we succeeded.

Who are you to disdain the results of such research :mrgreen:?

For me it takes slightly less than a second to load the pictures and you don't have wait for the pictures to load if you're not interested in the title; you can just scroll past fairly quickly using the Roku 3 WiDi RF remote or the Roku app (it's always been a bit slow responding to IR commands). I never used the "show more titles like this" feature so I don't miss it (none of the other 7 or 8 devices I have with Roku players ever had it). My main problems with this UI are the removal of "Play from beginning" and "Audio & subtitles" from the title menus; if you want to restart something you were in the middle of watching you have to start it and rewind; audio & captions/subs options can be adjusted while the title is playing as well.

The new Netflix player began showing up a couple of weeks ago (with the 5.2 update on Roku 3s) and has been much under discussion since. It's cooled as a topic lately; see "New Netflix Experience on Roku 3: Issues" and "Netflix ruined from new UI with Post-Play :-(".
mikeyts

Postby haroldskilley » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:52 pm

Yeah, another user mentioned he needs to keep binoculars next to his couch to read the information on the new Netflix interface.

Also, the "more titles like this" missing feature is bigger for many users. Netflix screwed up dumbing down the menu.
haroldskilley

Postby haroldskilley » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:55 pm

The features missing in the new Netflix interface are all there in the nice, well done Amazon interface. Hmm.
haroldskilley

Postby Gilgamesh » Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:52 am

haroldskilley wrote:The features missing in the new Netflix interface are all there in the nice, well done Amazon interface. Hmm.

Yet Amazon is harder to use and navigate than Netflix and it does not remember which show you last watched or which season of a series you are in the process of watching.

Amazon is just as horrid to use as Netflix. It is simply different.
Gilgamesh

Postby scottypie1234 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:08 am

Gilgamesh wrote:
Yet Amazon is harder to use and navigate than Netflix and it does not remember which show you last watched or which season of a series you are in the process of watching.

Sure it does. Go to your "Recently Watched" list, there it is, queued up to the next episode of your particular show. With Amazon, you can clear items out of your "Recently Watched" list (unlike with Netflix). I keep that list cleared out and organized and basically use that as my "What to watch immediately" list for TV series.
scottypie1234

Postby haroldskilley » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:37 pm

scottypie1234 wrote:
Gilgamesh wrote:

Sure it does. Go to your "Recently Watched" list, there it is, queued up to the next episode of your particular show. With Amazon, you can clear items out of your "Recently Watched" list (unlike with Netflix). I keep that list cleared out and organized and basically use that as my "What to watch immediately" list for TV series.

I use that same feature on Amazon, similar to you. Not sure why the new Netflix "dumbed down" and took that great feature out. Netflix really needs to improve this sluggish new interface.
haroldskilley

Postby joed32 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:04 am

#2. Numbers weren't there on the old interface either, I still have it on all of my Rokus.
joed32

Postby Gilgamesh » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:16 am

joed32 wrote:#2. Numbers weren't there on the old interface either, I still have it on all of my Rokus.

It most certainly does display two numbers in the upper right corner of the queue (my List) screen and most others as well XX|YY where XX is the position you are currently at and YY is the total number of items in the list being viewed.

Netflix chose to drop that display but it actually is more important in the new interface as they also chose to remove the feature where on reentering you are returned to the position in your queue where you were when you exited the channel. I guess Netflix decided for us that numbers were just to complicated for their users to understand.
Gilgamesh

Postby haroldskilley » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:32 pm

Gilgamesh wrote:
joed32 wrote:#2. Numbers weren't there on the old interface either, I still have it on all of my Rokus.

It most certainly does display two numbers in the upper right corner of the queue (my List) screen and most others as well XX|YY where XX is the position you are currently at and YY is the total number of items in the list being viewed.

Netflix chose to drop that display but it actually is more important in the new interface as they also chose to remove the feature where on reentering you are returned to the position in your queue where you were when you exited the channel. I guess Netflix decided for us that numbers were just to complicated for their users to understand.

Getting rid of the numbers was another idiotic, bonehead move and is a flaw. Not only do you need binoculars to see the movie titles, but you have to mentally track if you've already seen one of the microscopic titles.

Netflix overthought this whole interface. The picture at the top of the screen is essentially useless, and I'm not sure why they took functionality out of the app and "dumbed it down".
haroldskilley

Postby time_shift » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:14 am

I agree with the TC, in particular, missing "More titles like this" option, but if you ask me, these are minor quirks, that could always be fixed with future firmware updates. In general, maybe I am alone, but I find the new Netflix UI to be a huge improvement, and it really make the Amazon UI look/feel dated as <The entropy of a perfect crystal, at absolute zero kelvin, is exactly equal to zero. - Third Law of Thermodynamics>.
time_shift

Postby bjgig » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:39 am

I really LIKED the old Netflix interface. It was simple to understand and didn't get in the way of what you were watching.

I really HATE the new Netflix interface. I get so pissed off watching stuff now with suggestions popping up on the screen and huge scroll-bars appearing and staying on the screen covering up what you're trying to watch. Then there's no screensaver, I can't watch the end-credits anymore cause they get shrunk down to a little box in the corner. Then there's everything haroldskilley mentioned, which I totally agree with.

I'm actually considering canceling Netflix because streaming is no longer enjoyable because of the new interface. The biggest most offensive issue is how the interface is interrupting shows you are watching. Netflix you should not be putting suggestions into the show/credits. If user wants suggestions, he will go to "More Titles Like This" like haroldskilley said above.

I dont' understand how all this "research" went into this UI and yet it turned out so horrible? 10 minutes with the UI and I could have guided Netflix with what is wrong with it and what needs to be changed.

The key to a good UI is simplicity along with minimalism around content presentation. The old UI was really nice. I've tried every streaming option available at one point or another. A lot I dumped because of UI issues, others because they were just out-rageously expensive and ran advertisements on top of it. The ONLY channels I have after trying them all is Netflix and PBS. Unfortunately, the new Netflix UI is making it really hard to keep Netflix. I'm likely going to be down to just PBS unless some improvements are made to the Netflix UI soon cause I'm not gonna pay every month to stream from a UI that doesn't let me watch in peace.
bjgig

Postby bjgig » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:50 am

The Oppo bdp-103 dvd/blu-ray player is a device that got UI right.

On the Oppo (I mostly play DVDs), when user presses play, pause, fast-forward, etc, a small icon appears in the upper-left hand corner of the display and disappears relatively quickly. I press pause/play on Netflix and huge portions of the screen are coverered with all kinds of stuff which don't disappear for several seconds. Another good thing about the Oppo is that nothing interrupts what you're watching. The credits don't get interrupted for example. And when an episode ends, I get taken back to the episode list so I know where I am in the list. The Netflix interface stops at the end of a show and shows you suggestions (I guess). Plus I'm pressured trying to figure out which of the 10 buttons on the screen I got to press to get back to the episode list. If I'm not fast enough something else starts playing. It's just a god-awful design.

Netflix, why not develop an interface like the Oppo bdp-103? The old Netflix interface was much more like the Oppo interface.
bjgig

Postby thetick » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:19 pm

bjgig wrote:
Netflix, why not develop an interface like the Oppo bdp-103? The old Netflix interface was much more like the Oppo interface.

Stating so at Roku forum will do little good. You should be posting this on a Netfix forum and on Netflix live chat..stating you are not buying another month of Netflix until the Roku player is as functional.
thetick

Postby mikeyts » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:08 pm

bjgig wrote:The Netflix interface stops at the end of a show and shows you suggestions (I guess).

If you're watching a TV series, it shows you a poster frame from the next episode, which will start automatically in some number of seconds. If you just watched the last episode of the series which they have or you were watching a movie, it shows you suggestions and won't automatically start any of them. I've heard that it won't auto-start the first episode of the next season if you watch the last episode of a season but I'm not sure of that.

This feature, called "Post-play" has been on most other devices with Netflix players since mid-August 2012; a far larger group of Netflix subs than own Roku 3s (by orders of magnitude) have been dealing with it for over 15 months. It's still there after they received complaints from some subset of that group of subs so it's not likely to go anywhere now. There are rumors that they're going to add an account setting with which you can disable it.
mikeyts

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion