google DNS and the roku 3?

Discussions about Roku products, channels, and Roku-related topics.

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

google DNS and the roku 3?

Postby farside847 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:07 pm

Lately I have been experiencing some playback hiccups (vudu would not play a movie, reboot fixed it after a long wait. Hulu ads hang and stutter occasionally)

After a few searches I saw a few DNS comments. Has anyone had any success with using a public DNS service like Google dns?
farside847

Re: google DNS and the roku 3?

Postby dboff01 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:11 pm

farside847 wrote:Lately I have been experiencing some playback hiccups (vudu would not play a movie, reboot fixed it after a long wait. Hulu ads hang and stutter occasionally)

After a few searches I saw a few DNS comments. Has anyone had any success with using a public DNS service like Google dns?

I've been using Google DNS with my Roku 3 for many months now without incident. I've also tried my ISP's DNS as well as OpenDNS.

The only reason I've made any changes was due to isolated problems with HBOGo, which immediately improved when changing the DNS server.

All of the other services I use (Netflix, Hulu Plus, Vudu, etc.) have worked just fine with all of the different DNS servers.
dboff01

Postby Gilgamesh » Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:53 pm

I have used both Google DNS and OpenDNS in the past with great success. However, recently my ISP (Charter) took some steps to improve their DNS and now I get superior service from their DNS. Currently I just have my router set to "Automatic from ISP" and I am getting great connections on all the channels I use.

BTW: If your Roku does not get a DNS response from your router is will automatically try Google. ( 8.8.8.8 ) I believe that is hard coded into the firmware.

Also keep in mind if you change the DNS server in your router that Roku only uses the first entry. It will never try the second or third entry in your router's DNS table.

From some feedback I have received from friends and some testing and from helping some other folks resolve problems it looks like ISPs in general are handling DNS look-ups quite a bit better than they used to even six months ago so DNS problems are becoming rarer. However, at the same time the proliferation of wireless devices has increased exponentially and lately I have found wireless interference causing more problems than DNS issues and, for some reason, several interference problems have manifested on only one or two channels on the Roku.

I have even found a couple of cases where wireless interference adversely affected Rokus that were connected wired.

So, while changing DNS can, and often does, improve streaming performance it should not be where we are looking first for streaming problems even if it only is poor for one channel.

For the case here with farside847 I would suggest going ahead and changing the DNS (Try several) simply because it is so easy and easy to change back. But you also should look at wireless issues even if you are connected wired.

If you are using no wireless devices turn you router's wireless radio off. If you are using wireless try a different channel. channels 11 and 1 work well for many. The Wifi-direct for the Roku's remote will work fine without a router in the mix.
Gilgamesh

Postby farside847 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:33 pm

Thank you all for the help.

I currently use Charter Cable Internet with the charter modem. I do use the wireless network in the house for other devices but the roku is wired. How would I go about identifying a wireless conflict? Is there another thread I should be reading to see if this impacts me?
farside847

Postby Gilgamesh » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:01 pm

farside847 wrote:Thank you all for the help.

I currently use Charter Cable Internet with the charter modem. I do use the wireless network in the house for other devices but the roku is wired. How would I go about identifying a wireless conflict? Is there another thread I should be reading to see if this impacts me?

There are some tools to detect wireless congestion and they are quite useful at times but troubleshooting interference problems is mostly trial and error. (Often more error than trial)

The first thing to do is to be sure that your router is set on a good channel. 1 and 11 are usually good ones to try.

After that moving stuff around and/or turning off devices one at a time and testing is about all you can do without some specialized equipment.

When you are looking for interference issues remember that ir interference can be just as detrimental to Roku's performance as rf. I have found cases where a stuck remote key on an unused remote on a shelf was loading down the processor, apparently, causing the Roku to act like it was receiving poor streams and therefore re-buffering and dropping connection quite often. I even had a case where new curtains would heat up with the afternoon sun and generate enough random ir so almost all ir based remotes would cease correct functioning between about 3:00 PM and 6:00 PM on sunny days. That one was found by looking through the viewfinder of a digital camera and noticing that the blue curtains were lighting up with a sea of bright red dots when the curtains got warm. The fix was pretty simple: They installed a thin white liner between the curtains and the windows and then the curtains never became warm enough to act up.
Gilgamesh

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion