History, A&E, Lifetime

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Re: History, A&E, Lifetime

Postby gkl » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:56 am

TheEndless wrote:
thetick wrote:Most likely Direct TV execs are scared of losing cutting cord customers, but they would never admit it. These is one simple solution... cancel Direct TV service and get a service with more "TV everywhere" integration

That wouldn't really make any sense in this case. Since the channels all require you to have cable or satellite service, they're not useful to cord cutting customers, and in fact promote not cutting the cord.

No they don't. They offer more content to subscribers than non-subscribers, but I don't have cable/satellite and have been watching quite a bit of programming on the History channel and live on ESPN3 since they became available. They are very useful to me. And for those who want more, cancel DirecTV and subscribe to one of the services which works with its subscribers instead of against them. DirecTV had better get with the program; its subscription competitors are offering services to consumers which DirecTV stubbornly refuses. Think Oldsmobile: once the most popular brand in American and less than a quarter century later, available only used and in museums.
1 Mohu Sky antenna (serving 2 TVs)
2 Mohu Leaf Ultimate antennas (serving one TV each)
2 Roku 3s, 1 Roku 2, 1 Roku 2 XS
1 Apple TV 3
2 first generation Simple.TVs
1 PC w/MyMedia for local media and hooked directly to one TV
1 Samsung BluRay/DVD player
gkl

Postby NVRamanan » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:06 am

Thanks! Worked perfectly! Tried to do the same for AETV and History but couldn't find the right links again! Not sure what I am doing wrong. Can you please, please post the links for these two as well? Apologies for any inconvenience. Thanks
NVRamanan

Postby NVRamanan » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:17 am

Gilgamesh wrote:
NVRamanan wrote:Can somebody help? I have Lifetime on my Roku 3. But when I try to link it to my service provider there is no place to input the code. When I go to mylifetime.com/ authorise I do not get a website for me to input the code. Same goes History as well as A and E. What should I be doing?

Thank you

The web site is not what you typed. It is http://www.mylifetime.com/authorize If you use the correct link it should work.

Thanks! It worked great! For some reason I am having similar troubles with History and AE TV as well. Just can't seem to get the links right, dunno why! Can you please give me the links to these two as well please? Thanks
NVRamanan

Postby Turmoggy » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:02 pm

These channels have been taken over by reality television programming. History channel never shows anything historical anymore.
Turmoggy

Postby thetick » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:18 pm

Turmoggy wrote:These channels have been taken over by reality television programming. History channel never shows anything historical anymore.

This is mostly true, but I did see "The Real Story of Christmas". It was a very good documentary on the origins of American Christmas traditions.
thetick

Postby kc8pql » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:26 pm

History channel never shows anything historical anymore.

They're just providing the types of programing that gives them the highest number of viewers...
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby stutch13 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:53 pm

They seem free.. "Unlocked episodes" meaning you have to have a subscription key thing are open view right now.. i figure this is the holiday season for this reason.. I'm a poet and don't even know it.. But it looks alright.. I mean I rarely watch these channels, could that change with them being on the roku?? not likely..
stutch13

Postby ronfelder » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:39 pm

I don't even see comcast or dishnetwork listed either.
Roku 2100x, (2) Roku2 3100x , Actiontec M1424-WR Rev I modem/router, Verizon FIOS 25/25, LG HDTV 42LH90, Pioneer VSX-920 Audio/Video Multi Channel Receiver
ronfelder

Postby beq » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:36 am

Just curious, does anyone see any pay TV provider name you recognize on their list, other than Optimum?
beq

Postby Buckeye911 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:43 am

ronfelder wrote:I don't even see comcast or dishnetwork listed either.

From what I see, the big players are absent. No Dish, Comcast, Time Warner, Cox, Verizon, AT&T, Charter, Cablevision or Bright House. DirecTV isn't on the list for Roku either (only for Xbox) so of the ten biggest paid TV providers exactly zero are participating.
Buckeye911

Postby dboff01 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:03 am

Buckeye911 wrote:

From what I see, the big players are absent. No Dish, Comcast, Time Warner, Cox, Verizon, AT&T, Charter, Cablevision or Bright House. DirecTV isn't on the list for Roku either (only for Xbox) so of the ten biggest paid TV providers exactly zero are participating.

Cablevision is Optimum.
dboff01

Postby dwanthny » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:14 am

NVRamanan wrote:Thanks! Worked perfectly! Tried to do the same for AETV and History but couldn't find the right links again! Not sure what I am doing wrong. Can you please, please post the links for these two as well? Apologies for any inconvenience. Thanks

Make sure you spell authorize with a z.

aetv.com/authorize
history.com/authorize
:idea: 20GB of Free CLOUD STORAGE: For a limited time you can use this link https://copy.com?r=lB3oTH to sign up for a free 15GB Copy.com account and we both get an extra 5GB of free space.
dwanthny

Postby Buckeye911 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:29 pm

dboff01 wrote:
Buckeye911 wrote:

Cablevision is Optimum.

Thanks, I did not know that.
Buckeye911

Postby mauiman » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:34 pm

ddevonb wrote:
mauiman wrote:These channels are worthless. Fox too. Most anything you might want to watch requires you to sign in with cable provider info. If you have cable TV, why on earth would you watch these channels on Roku? Traveling? Most hotels provide at least minimal cable in rooms.

I guess you see no benefit in watching the versions without commercials... and on demand.

Minimal shows, series and episodes for limited times.
I see little value in that.
YMMV
mauiman

Postby mikebdoss » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:28 pm

mauiman wrote:
ddevonb wrote:
mauiman wrote:These channels are worthless. Fox too. Most anything you might want to watch requires you to sign in with cable provider info. If you have cable TV, why on earth would you watch these channels on Roku? Traveling? Most hotels provide at least minimal cable in rooms.

I guess you see no benefit in watching the versions without commercials... and on demand.

Minimal shows, series and episodes for limited times.
I see little value in that.
YMMV

But if I'm in the mood to watch a show I like (like "Pawn Stars"), they've got a selection of episodes available. It's not supposed to be an all-encompassing list of programming.
mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

PreviousNext

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion